Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

I absolutely hate excercise but love being fit, if that makes any sense. I have a tendancy to really pile on the weight if I'm not being active.

Since May I've been walking back and forth to work daily (about 5km total) and although thats not a lot, its made a huge difference in how I feel. Winter in Canada has already begun and its a real stuggle to walk when theres snow on the ground, so I'm hoping to keep that up or pick up something else that will make me feel agile. 

I dont know what stones are, but I'm down to 164lbs from 178lbs and Id love to see 150 for glasto! 

Add me to the promote running train.

I've slacked a bit recently but got myself in good enough condition to run a 33 mile trail ultramarathon in March this year.

For anyone who thinks this is beyond them I can promise you it really isn't.

I've always found running a great way of exploring areas you can't reach by car. Be that on cycle paths or across fields and trails.

The undulating ground of trail running would also be a good way of preparing feet / ankles for worthy farm. 

Don't worry about the hills either as it tends to be an unwritten rule in trail running that you walk hills.

Every journey starts with a single step folks. Do it.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Indeed. My other favourite is the reminder that if you're doing something then you're lapping everyone who's sat on the sofa!

Edited by Quark

I’ve lost 3st about 8 times in the last ten years.. get to my point of thinking right, enough, let’s deal with this then after a while think ah bollocks to it, I don’t even like myself anyway so what’s the point in looking after myself.

Well this morning I’m gonna get off me arse and go around a couple of parks at least.. less tempting to do that as it gets colder eh.

11 hours ago, Quark said:

Probably sounds condescending, but it's so good to hear and see women getting into weights. That whole "I don't want to be like a bodybuilder" mentality has gradually faded, and people are just seeing the huge benefits of it. Certainly see way more women in the free weights parts of the gym these days, and a lot of the time with better form than the gym bros! :lol:

I've been thinking about doing this myself....but I find it so intimidating! Classes are fine but there's been two occasions in the last three weeks where I've gone to the gym intending to do free weights and totally bailed ? Think I need a buddy for the first couple of sessions to push me through the door! 

I'm 'only' 12.8 but i'm also about 5ft6 tall, so my healthy weight is a few stone less.

However, I'm over 40, I love beer and work in an office, so losing weight (for me, anyway) is hard. But this thread and a few other real life realisations are all pushing me in the direction to 'do something' about it.

I'll hopefully be in E campervan again, so need some core strength for 'The Hill'

14 hours ago, paulshane said:

I'm 'only' 12.8 but i'm also about 5ft6 tall, so my healthy weight is a few stone less.

However, I'm over 40, I love beer and work in an office, so losing weight (for me, anyway) is hard. But this thread and a few other real life realisations are all pushing me in the direction to 'do something' about it.

I'll hopefully be in E campervan again, so need some core strength for 'The Hill'

So long as you feel good in yourself, the BMI isn't really relevant. I have a few mates who are overweight by BMI standards but their muscle mass is what's put it over.

I'm going by the BMI scale because my muscle mass isn't the best and it works for myself.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, Hugh Jass said:

I’m running the London Marathon next April. 

Me too...there's always a big group go for a few pints in the Red Lion just across Whitehall after the finish; lots of sitting on the pavement in the sun drinking cider etc. You should come its always a nice atmosphere with tale do woe and success ?

7 hours ago, SighMo said:

Me too...there's always a big group go for a few pints in the Red Lion just across Whitehall after the finish; lots of sitting on the pavement in the sun drinking cider etc. You should come its always a nice atmosphere with tale do woe and success ?

Thanks for the offer, if I’m even vaguely human afterwards I’ll check it out.

• Upvote 1

I have just signed up to do a night trek up Snowdon for Marie Curie the weekend before Glastonbury. 

No idea how or when I will train for it tbh as I live in herts and its pretty flat round here.  The only thing in my favour is a wear my walking boots to glasto every year so I know that they are well worn in.

So I'll either be in perfect glasto order by the time I reach the farm, or I will be completely  incapable having fallen down a mountain in the dark!

Been talking to my friend who works with athletes about building up strength for the next Glastonbury. Got diagnosed recently with a medical condition that knackers me out which would explain why I was so fuckered at the last one. So she suggested Pilates and we also live at the top of a very steep hill in the lake district so got our training ground on our doortstep. Gonna build up gradually. 

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Thinking of taking up zumba.

Videos or it didn't happen.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, JoeyT said:

Add me to the promote running train.

I've slacked a bit recently but got myself in good enough condition to run a 33 mile trail ultramarathon in March this year.

For anyone who thinks this is beyond them I can promise you it really isn't.

I've always found running a great way of exploring areas you can't reach by car. Be that on cycle paths or across fields and trails.

The undulating ground of trail running would also be a good way of preparing feet / ankles for worthy farm. 

Don't worry about the hills either as it tends to be an unwritten rule in trail running that you walk hills.

Which Ultra did you do Joey? This is my next goal. I'm all about the trails.

My current route - did  I mention I've moved house? Just outside Andover and that little bit closer to the farm - is on the Test way and Brenda Parker way around Andover. Check it out on plotaroute, with the 'paths' setting on.