Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wear Adidas Supernovas which suit me and my flat feet perfectly, noticed recently that they were half price in a certain immoral Astley owned sports boutique so plan to pick up a second pair shortly.

You're never gonna run around in those :ninja:

• Upvote 1

Nearly killed myself on Sat morning - 8.07km run in 44:22 (average page 5:30min/km)

Seeing some of the huge distances you lot are going for is helping the motivation, will be more than ready for running between stages by the time June rolls around!

Anyone got a link to decent running plans for a half marathon btw?

12 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

Nearly killed myself on Sat morning - 8.07km run in 44:22 (average page 5:30min/km)

Seeing some of the huge distances you lot are going for is helping the motivation, will be more than ready for running between stages by the time June rolls around!

Anyone got a link to decent running plans for a half marathon btw?

Can't help you with the plans, but that's a decent pace for 8km, bravo! :)

53 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

20 mins on the exercise bike. It's a start. Gotta start somewhere.

Amen sister, onwards and upwards!

9 hours ago, JoeyT said:

That's what I thought but then I read the Born to run book (which i can thoroughly recommend to all you runners) which seems to suggest that it's somewhat of a myth regarding the 500 miles and change trainers.

If anyone can recommend any other running related books, i'm all ears.

I seem to run my trainers out at around 350miles but then im a fatty so they have taken quite a beating by that time. At £70ish a pair it’s an expensive thing to give up but I suppose you have to look after your knees.  

Bleurgh, finished work a bit earlier than planned and had to kill time waiting for Mrs Q to finish her class, so decided it would be a good idea to do a second gym session today after squats and deadlifts this morning and do a 30minute HIIT session. Gym's got a track setup so it's rounds of sled drives and pulls, tyre flips, farmer's walks and burpees. Finished off with a 5 min tabata set on a skill mill, which is something the Spanish Inquisition would have come up with if they branched out into fitness equipment.

My legs are no longer on speaking terms with me.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bleurgh, finished work a bit earlier than planned and had to kill time waiting for Mrs Q to finish her class, so decided it would be a good idea to do a second gym session today after squats and deadlifts this morning and do a 30minute HIIT session. Gym's got a track setup so it's rounds of sled drives and pulls, tyre flips, farmer's walks and burpees. Finished off with a 5 min tabata set on a skill mill, which is something the Spanish Inquisition would have come up with if they branched out into fitness equipment.

Strong performance Mark (?). Hope your legs forgive you. I don’t know what a farmers walk is but maybe we should all be doing those as prep for June...

I’ve been to spin class (Digme Blackfriars for anyone who works in London), and was chuffed that the class instructor actually knew my name. I guess I’m a regular now ??. It’s the small victories. 

52 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I don’t know what a farmers walk is but maybe we should all be doing those as prep for June.

It's basically walking and holding heavy stuff in both hands. The gym's got this thing called a sqyre they use. It's an 80kg padded square frame that you can either use end over end for flips, or stand in the middle of the frame and pick up with a pair of straps for carries. I have a love hate relationship with it :lol:

how-to-use-the-sqyre-featured.thumb.jpg.cebad4f7ff5d030517d0de0fcffbbbcb.jpg

1 hour ago, Quark said:

It's basically walking and holding heavy stuff in both hands. The gym's got this thing called a sqyre they use. It's an 80kg padded square frame that you can either use end over end for flips, or stand in the middle of the frame and pick up with a pair of straps for carries. I have a love hate relationship with it :lol:

how-to-use-the-sqyre-featured.thumb.jpg.cebad4f7ff5d030517d0de0fcffbbbcb.jpg

32C66249-D7BD-4A9C-BF32-E7725D4F885F.thumb.jpeg.05a445ae9f45424086487fd7985a019a.jpegjeez... I had trouble lifting this today.. (it will be getting lighter in the coming weeks though ?)

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Sounds like a worlds strongest man contest! 

Anyone else struggle to go running during evenings in the winter? Just hate running in the dark!

Anyhow, 10km on the treadmill last night in a steady 46.47. Slowly getting my running back in to gear following not a lot since March.

Still someway off my 10km treadmill pb of 40:38 at the end of January this year which the more I think of it the more I don't know how the hell I managed it!

29 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Anyone else struggle to go running during evenings in the winter? Just hate running in the dark!

Aye, me too....I hate treadmill running though. Have a little plan to go for a short 5k or something on Friday morning, weather permitting,  because much as I like the gym classes, being outside is far nicer. Unless course its raining....in which case, fuck that. 

14 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Aye, me too....I hate treadmill running though. Have a little plan to go for a short 5k or something on Friday morning, weather permitting,  because much as I like the gym classes, being outside is far nicer. Unless course its raining....in which case, fuck that. 

Strangely I quite like running in the rain! So long as I've got the right kit on and a nice hot shower waiting when I get home anyway :)

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Strangely I quite like running in the rain! So long as I've got the right kit on and a nice hot shower waiting when I get home anyway :)

I don't mind rain, it's good to push yourself in those conditions.

It's just the dark. I like to run on cycle tracks / greenways which around my way aren't lit up. Don't like having to stop at traffic lights, junctions etc. 

Does anyone have any particular races they're looking at next year? 

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I don't mind rain, it's good to push yourself in those conditions.

It's just the dark. I like to run on cycle tracks / greenways which around my way aren't lit up. Don't like having to stop at traffic lights, junctions etc. 

I totally get this.

Don't mind running in the cold / rain, but it's difficult to get out in the winter evenings for me due to kids, not being able to get out until late when - around here (semi-rural) it's utterly pitch black with no streetlights or pavement but people still hacking it down country lanes with a national speed limit.

So, after moving I quickly bought a second hand dreadmill which I've got in the garage (and I put a laptop on a shelf in front of it to watch NetFlix / YouTube), which as been a godsend. I see the dreadmill as 'training'. Running outside as for fun.

My routine is now that I run twice (8 to 10 miles as at as fast a speed as possible) on the dreadmill during the week then a long run outside at the weekend...possibly two runs - one long, one short - on my three day weekends (which are every other week).

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Does anyone have any particular races they're looking at next year? 

I've got very little interest in anything 'organised' to do with my running, tbh, until I get to 50k.

I think if it gets too serious / organised it'll remove the fun for me. 

I'm aiming for two 50ks in the first half of 2019 (still looking at potential ones) and then maybe further (50mi???!!!) towards the end of the year, early 2020 depending on how they go.

But all good plans and that...

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sure, running in summer rain is delightful and refreshing....but running in freezing November rain is quite another thing altogether. I was supposed to go spinning at 7.15am this morning, but when I woke up, I could hear the rain on my skylight and my phone said it was 3 degrees so I promptly switched spinning till 12.30pm because even walking about in freezing rain doesn't really do it for me! Each to their own though I guess :)