Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

1 hour ago, amyg1990 said:

your too good. I did a 10km race Sunday and struggled (the humidity wasnt on my side) I decided to knock running on the head until after Glastonbury now..Did yoga yesterday and may go for a swim tonight.. I may also go and paint my nails though ?

I wouldn't go that far. Still a 17stone ale house. Just a fit one. Muggy here walking the dogs then so might be not so enjoyable tonight.

Edited by faymondo

I am going to break my own advice and play 5aside tonight.  If I don't I'm going to spend all evening here and on facebook, being jealous of all my friends who are already onsite in campervans and car park parties.  Hopefully this is all I'm going to break.

I will put the caveat in first that i know that Pedometer steps are very subjective and do not relate very easily to miles walked.

now that is established, get your head round this tale of the tapes. The general guidance is 10000 steps is 5 miles (subjective}.

I travelled down by train on the Monday and made my way to Glastonbury Town to camp below the Tor.  This involved a lot of trolling about to visit the Abbey etc and a not insignificant pub crawl.  Tuesday, a pal and myself travelled from Paddington Farm to the site and walked from the drop off point at Ped Gate A to Toms Field which is the “WaterAid Field” directly behind Worthy Farm.  We then spent the next 5 days putting in an average of 21 hours per day being up and about. These days included a 6 hour shift for WaterAid walking around the site and then getting straight on it after shift getting “refreshed” and watching bands like all the other lovely people.

i just wanted to set the scene to give you some frame of reference. 

The steps from Monday to Monday totalled 354000

That could represent in the region of 177 miles for the week! That is an average of a marathon a day with one day being 70000 steps or 35 miles. That was the Saturday when i had a 6am start and then was watching the lovely Proclaimers by 12:30 and stayed on it until the early hours of Sunday. 

Do i win then?

On a different note, this is exactly why it will ALWAYS be walking boots in preference to Wellies ?

I drank and ate like it was going out of fashion, and while I didn't do nearly as many steps as previous festivals (my phone says about six miles per day) I came home 1lb heavier than when I left, so not bad really :)

back to not drinking in the week now though ...

Hope you lot made it back in one piece! I'm straight back into the Beachy Head marathon training tonight. Few donations today have tipped me over my fundraising target so there's no better time to get back into the running. Glasto toe might prove a tricky one to navigate but we'll see how it goes...

How did everyone else find this year?
Whether it was the perfect ground conditions, or the fact I've been running and going to the gym a lot more consistently, but I found walking between stages even in the heat so much less effort than ever before. John Peel to The Park felt like nothing, nor the walk back form SE corner. Didn't do anywhere near as many steps as Jay Pee in comparison though.

D-eo_a_VAAEecyi.thumb.jpg.5e07e0ecfe550776c11e8605edc56a29.jpg

My steps for the week. Pretty pleased with it bearing in mind the heat and my sciatica. Still managed to gain weight for the 1st festival ever which I put down to suddenly eating a lot of carbs and drinking a huge amount of water and soft drinks. I gained 3.7lb's. 

Is it too early to start the fitness for Glasto 2020 thread?? 

65780737_10157385717427065_3588968637832101888_o (1).jpg