Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

I had a silly virus which zapped my energy for a week or so but I've done a 5k and 10k run this week and feeling good. Will do a long walk and a short run ahead of the festival and maybe some leg weights in the gym.

Just signed up for a half marathon in October. Eek. 

Just did a heavy legs gym session to get them ready for the miles and miles of walking we'll all be doing soon.

I'm not doing any more exercise now to avoid the risk of getting injured before the big event. Especially after I nearly faceplanted the floor attempting a cyclone hook kick at kickboxing training on Thursday... 

Just now, Homer said:

Six exercise last week and already on two for this week/today, despite spending all day yesterday at a free bar at Ascot and then deciding to go to Foals on the hoof in a suit and tie. Think I deserve a pint.

You're a machine! You deserve more than a pint! 

• Upvote 1

How ‘weight neutral’ do you think the festival is? Balancing out the consumption of beer and bacon sandwiches with all the walking. After much effort, I’ve just managed to squeeze into my festival shorts. Hate to think of them giving out by Saturday if I put a few pounds on.

2 minutes ago, bronto said:

How ‘weight neutral’ do you think the festival is? Balancing out the consumption of beer and bacon sandwiches with all the walking. After much effort, I’ve just managed to squeeze into my festival shorts. Hate to think of them giving out by Saturday if I put a few pounds on.

i am trying to think about this, but in my 10 festivals i have never lost weight (the booze will deffo outweigh any increase in activity you do)

Thinking is, I need to be cleverer with the food choices and when I eat (so thinking brunch and dinner etc)

The main thing will be to get back on this thread when we get back in prep for 2020!

3 minutes ago, Peroni said:

i am trying to think about this, but in my 10 festivals i have never lost weight (the booze will deffo outweigh any increase in activity you do)

Thinking is, I need to be cleverer with the food choices and when I eat (so thinking brunch and dinner etc)

The main thing will be to get back on this thread when we get back in prep for 2020!

I don’t want to even consider making sensible choices once I’m there. And after a few pints sensible thinking goes out the window anyway. I think I’ll have to buy some fallback shorts on the way. I wish I’d discovered this thread earlier. Started by big fitness push about three weeks ago, and I reckon the festival has come a week or so early for me. 

On 6/17/2019 at 7:44 PM, Quark said:

Question for those who have targeted a time for distance running...

Training for a half marathon (not that far but I'm a natural sprinter :D ) and looking at how to build up so I hit sub 2 hrs. U ballsed up my training for the Paras 10 last year by going too hard in the build up, so trying not to repeat!

Working on the principle of running at target pace, and gradually building up the distance while maintaining pace. Did an hour tonight, average 5.30/km so on target. Does that sound reasonable, or am I going about it wrong? Not until end of Sep so I've got loads of time.

And definitely another one considering the Thursday morning 5km!

You need three quality sessions. Long run on weekend, up to 15 miles in distance. Done at 10-20% slower than race pace after a two mile gentle warm up. Feel free to try a few of these where you do 10k at race pace, or up your pace by 5 seconds per mile after your warm up till you're done. Two other sessions are speed based. Kilometre reps at 5k race pace are a good session. Warm up two miles, then do 4 to start with, build up to 6 or 7. Another is a warm up followed by 25 mins at 10k pace then cool down for two miles. Two other runs at least at a nice easy pace. If you can get another run in, try and warm up two miles, three miles half mara pace, two to three miles easy. 

That'll do ya.

Did my final run before the festival last night, an enjoyable 13km. When I got home my knee (which a few days ago got a massive chunk scrapped out of it when I got knocked off my bike) had developed a pulse. In the shower I gave it a poke and it oozed out a load of pus. Not good. Hopefully some liberal applications of antiseptic will resolve it swiftly!

6 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Last run tonight. Hoping for 8 miles.

My most steps in a week despite training and running a few marathons was Glastonbury 2017 with 187,061.

Expecting to break that this week.

your too good. I did a 10km race Sunday and struggled (the humidity wasnt on my side) I decided to knock running on the head until after Glastonbury now..Did yoga yesterday and may go for a swim tonight.. I may also go and paint my nails though ?

21 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Did my final run before the festival last night, an enjoyable 13km. When I got home my knee (which a few days ago got a massive chunk scrapped out of it when I got knocked off my bike) had developed a pulse. In the shower I gave it a poke and it oozed out a load of pus. Not good. Hopefully some liberal applications of antiseptic will resolve it swiftly!

That is not what you need! 

Make sure you try and keep that as clean as possible over the next few days :/ 

On 6/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, Superscally said:

You need three quality sessions. Long run on weekend, up to 15 miles in distance. Done at 10-20% slower than race pace after a two mile gentle warm up. Feel free to try a few of these where you do 10k at race pace, or up your pace by 5 seconds per mile after your warm up till you're done. Two other sessions are speed based. Kilometre reps at 5k race pace are a good session. Warm up two miles, then do 4 to start with, build up to 6 or 7. Another is a warm up followed by 25 mins at 10k pace then cool down for two miles. Two other runs at least at a nice easy pace. If you can get another run in, try and warm up two miles, three miles half mara pace, two to three miles easy. 

That'll do ya.

Cheers pal, will mix it up a bit!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sooo, anyone else considering the Thursday morning site run or is it just me?

For about 30 seconds I did....

And then I remembered that I'm going to have half a bottle of JD Honey in my possession on Wednesday night and immediately stopped considering