Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

So Ive seen nothing about any sort of a fun run at the festival this year, and Actionwork Antibullying Village who organised it in 2017 don't even appear to be very active anymore on social media sites ??

Anyone planning anything for Thursday morning ?

Edited by BeddyDriver
update

10 minutes ago, BeddyDriver said:

So Ive seen nothing about any sort of a fun run at the festival this year, and Actionwork Antibullying Village who organised it in 2017 don't even appear to be very active anymore on social media sites ??

Anyone planning anything for Thursday morning ?

there is something on Facebook for a 5km on the Thursday Morning "Glasto Fest Fun Run"

Im gutted because I'm not there til Thursday lunchtime and would've loved to partake!

4 minutes ago, amyg1990 said:

there is something on Facebook for a 5km on the Thursday Morning "Glasto Fest Fun Run"

Im gutted because I'm not there til Thursday lunchtime and would've loved to partake!

ah good spot, thanks, id obviously done "man" looking :D

and here is the link for anyone else.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1345404165600488/

Edited by BeddyDriver
added link to event

6 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

Did my back in doing squats yesterday and now I can't stand up straight. It's got over a week to heal...I'm sure it'll be fine...

Def take it easy - not worth risking it now!

Exercised six times last week - have still exercised at least five times every week this year.

Am back on double-exercise Saturdays (weights in the morning and football in the afternoon). Have noticed that the booze seems to hit a lot harder on Sat nights after doing this though (I guess it's the extra calories burnt off!).

7 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

Did my back in doing squats yesterday and now I can't stand up straight. It's got over a week to heal...I'm sure it'll be fine...

Feel your pain. I did mine a week ago lifting a dog bowl (i know, not so impressive!!) Full on sciatica flare up from it and a week on I'd say the pain has gone from an 8 to a 5/6. Hoping mine starts to improve quickly! 

Fingers crossed you make a quick recovery as well. 

I think I've just pulled a muscle so it's definitely not as bad as sciatica. I hope your back is feeling better soon @gigpusher

@Homer I'm on the wind down now in case I injure myself any more! Just got a couple more sessions this week and then I'm not doing anything Monday or Tuesday next week. It's not worth the risk. Five times a week all year is really impressive! It's what I've been aiming for but usually end up doing four a week.

I've had a very painful foot which the doc thinks might be gout so exercise has stopped completely. Having to sit on the sofa with foot raised. Could hardly walk. Was worried about getting to the festival at all at one stage. Now easing off a bit so will just be relieved to get there, rain or shine.

Diagnosed with Strep throat and a sinus infection on Friday, I think the antibiotics are working but still a lot of pain and also ear pain. Really hoping it goes over the next week as I can't drink on these antibiotics ? I've been doing some uphill walking and mud walking to practice. 

Question for those who have targeted a time for distance running...

Training for a half marathon (not that far but I'm a natural sprinter :D ) and looking at how to build up so I hit sub 2 hrs. U ballsed up my training for the Paras 10 last year by going too hard in the build up, so trying not to repeat!

Working on the principle of running at target pace, and gradually building up the distance while maintaining pace. Did an hour tonight, average 5.30/km so on target. Does that sound reasonable, or am I going about it wrong? Not until end of Sep so I've got loads of time.

And definitely another one considering the Thursday morning 5km!

47 minutes ago, Quark said:

Training for a half marathon (not that far but I'm a natural sprinter :D ) and looking at how to build up so I hit sub 2 hrs. U ballsed up my training for the Paras 10 last year by going too hard in the build up, so trying not to repeat!

Working on the principle of running at target pace, and gradually building up the distance while maintaining pace. Did an hour tonight, average 5.30/km so on target. Does that sound reasonable, or am I going about it wrong? Not until end of Sep so I've got loads of time.

My husband has done 2 marathons and for his second one he followed a proper training plan and it got him much closer to his target. Part of the training was doing interval training, hill intervals and doing shorter race pace runs. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

When I did a sub 2 hour I didn’t follow a plan. I just ran for 45 minutes every day then banged in a 90 minute run a week before. That was a few years ago though! A plan will probably help - there are plenty online. But it can be done without one.

11 hours ago, Quark said:

That’s just over 10km an hour as a half is 21.2km you’re doing well. Try increasing the distance intermittently 12km, 15km with shorter runs (5-6k’s) in between, a plan would be best if you have time but take a look at your progress and slot yourself in you’re definitely not starting from the beginning.

As others have said get some hills too, which half are you running?

19 minutes ago, uscore said:

Hope everyone has started tapering off ahead of the start of the festival next week.  Get some big pasta meals inside you and maybe go for a short/medium run at the weekend.

Personally Ill be doing a long run (13-14 mileish)  at the weekend, last ditch attempt to make room for lots of extra calories over the week ahead.

Ill be staying on road though rather than off road trails, as not risking a tweaked ankle at this point :D

I remember I was doing slimming world the last time I went (back in 2011 due to having kids/not getting tickets since).

Was fully expecting a big gain when I returned after eating and drinking whatever I wanted for 5 days 

Lost 2lbs! I put that down to the mammoth amounts of walking I did, intrigued to see my stats this year now I have a fitness tracking watch.

I actually came off my wagon this weekend! ☹️

Was my partners bday so a few beers were consumed (not loads though!)
Put on 4ibs which is crazy and just shows how bad the booze is for you!

We did however go on a 7mile walk around the peak district, tackling some humongous hills! So we're defiantly Glasto ready!

A mix of running and swimming this week with a 10km race Sunday and a booze free weekend! Would like to loose what I put on before the festival!
-- 

15 hours ago, Quark said:

I went through the same kind of process last year, slowly built-up my distance and cardio and kept that kind of pace. Worked for the most part but unless you've got to time to do loads of long runs it's not that efficient.

This year I've joined a group doing shorter and more intense anaerobic stuff like gig pusher mentioned (intervals, hills, sprints, faster tempo runs), and difference it made to my distance running is massive. It's worth trying to fit in at least one run like that a week, it's hard work but at least it can be done quickly :)

Whats everyone's experience of gaining weight at glasto? I'm sure with all the moving around and dancing it must burn it off? My partner is convinced all the post baby weight she has lost (9kg in around 4 weeks) is going to pile back on..!