Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

1 hour ago, Ryanp1993 said:

Only just stumbled upon this page but I hope this can inspire, I am the laziest person I know but I just wanted to be in the best shape of my life for Glasto just over a month to go!

gym.png

You'll definitely fit into that dressing gown now!

1 hour ago, amyg1990 said:

I completed my first half marathon last autumn. I chose Birmingham half which was early October. I had only run up to 10miles when i decided to go for it!

You'll be absolutely fine, I trained 3x a week, usually did around 2x 3-5mile runs in the week (and these were mainly 5kms if im honest) and then my long run was at the weekend. The long run started at 6mile and increased by a mile a week up until 2 weeks before.

I think I only actually ran 10/11mile before the big day - go for it youll love it! I saw a huge improvement in my running with the training . 

I yoga, swim and run in the week, and go hiking lots at weekends! Im hoping this all aids me with my plodding round the festival and dancing all hours!

I've looked up some training plans for the half marathon, and it's pretty similar to what I do now. Only have to up my long weekend run from 70-80 minutes to 100-110. So indeed, I'll probably be fine. I'm not one for endurance actually, and I'm usually totally knackered after 10 miles. But will take it easier of course, this first time. Have to switch off that competitive part, but I'm looking up to some really fast guys in my running group :P

19 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

I've looked up some training plans for the half marathon, and it's pretty similar to what I do now. Only have to up my long weekend run from 70-80 minutes to 100-110. So indeed, I'll probably be fine. I'm not one for endurance actually, and I'm usually totally knackered after 10 miles. But will take it easier of course, this first time. Have to switch off that competitive part, but I'm looking up to some really fast guys in my running group :P

exactly youll smash it!

haha im the total opposite i have to really push myself in races to go faster, im more of a social plodder, i actually stopped on my first half to use the loos in the church and chat to the old women giving out biccys! haha

Good luck!

Well, that was a Sunday full of fun.....16 mile brutal coastal trail race yesterday....By mile 10 I was staring up a flight of steps straight up a cliff face, quads burning, wondering how the hell I was physically going to get up it, and about to collapse ! Somehow made it up, and even managed to finish 19th overall out of a couple of hundred , but it was brutal.

Never ever will I moan about the Hill of Death ever again !

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My running and enthusiasm for doing it has dropped off a cliff post marathon. Trying to keep myself ticking over with 3 or so 5 milers a week but it’s hard.

Rediscovering my love of biscuits really hasn’t helped either.

Have you tried varying it up? I've only really done the odd parkrun since I did a 1/2 and the rat race a year ago. I tend to do 40 mins of exercise split across the various cardio machines at the gym - find it a lot easier to motivate myself for (as opposed to 40mins of running) and you're doing diff exercise too. That and going spinning/playing football.

Completed my first half marathon on Sunday in a respectable 01:51:58!

Think its aggravated an old injury where I was hit by a car a few years back so my foot is bruised and battered so will probably leave it a week or so then stick to 5k's so its all good for the battering its going to take dancing my way around the farm..

Well done all the running gang - always good motivation to hear what youre all upto :) 

• Upvote 3

Just hit six for the week - turns out I've lost a whole pound this week (don't think the funeral was great for the calorie count!). Not sure six will mitigate what I drink over the weekend at Shindig, but at least I'm ahead to hit my gym numbers next when I'm not exactly feeling chipper!

17 hours ago, amyg1990 said:

I'm off to do the UKs hardest Park Run on Saturday!  
Yikes! 

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/devon-parkrun-officially-toughest-country-2513902

Interesting. Just looked at the original article and seems my husband was right about Lyme Park. He did it once and said never again as it was more akin to fell running and it shows up as the 15th toughest in the country. He did it on a very wet November day so imagine it's worse in Winter. 

Running over dunes would be killer though. Good luck with it. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Interesting. Just looked at the original article and seems my husband was right about Lyme Park. He did it once and said never again as it was more akin to fell running and it shows up as the 15th toughest in the country. He did it on a very wet November day so imagine it's worse in Winter. 

Running over dunes would be killer though. Good luck with it. 

Fair play to him! Any run on a wet November day is tough, let alone that!

I'm not a park run fanatic, but I love doing them when I'm holiday for a different run!

Wont be getting any PBs tomorrow ?! Will let you know how it goes!!!!

1 minute ago, amyg1990 said:

Fair play to him! Any run on a wet November day is tough, let alone that!

I'm not a park run fanatic, but I love doing them when I'm holiday for a different run!

Wont be getting any PBs tomorrow ?! Will let you know how it goes!!!!

Best of luck with it. Dunes are killers just for walking up but I bet the scenery will be nice. 

I walked with both dogs around Lyme Park that day and they tried to drag me over to any man in running gear so I got nearly as good a workout :D 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, Ryanp1993 said:

Only just stumbled upon this page but I hope this can inspire, I am the laziest person I know but I just wanted to be in the best shape of my life for Glasto just over a month to go!

gym.png

DAMN SON.

Fancy DM'ing me your diet, workout plan and supps? ;)

Got the urge to get up early and run fucking miiiiles tomorrow. 

Anyone fancy doing summat similar?*

A long slow plod in the countryside. With snacks!

*especially if you’re around Andover way. Let me know if you fancy joining me.