Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Went to my first spinning class in about 5 weeks. It nearly killed me but what got me through was thinking about how glad I'll be for the improved cardiovascular fitness by the time glasto comes around. 

However next week I'm in Poland and plan on spending the entire time eating and drinking my entire body weight, so maybe that kind of thinking was a bit premature. 

In the next few weeks I'll probably decide whether I'll do a half marathon in the autumn. Handful of local 5-10k races coming up, combined with training. Never did more than 10 miles in a race, and I already feel a bit terrified about the half. Let alone a full marathon - can't ever see me doing one.

Training wise, would be great to not have a very hot summer :P

so after hitting the gym and being healthy and losing loads of weight post ACL / MCL / Miniscus tear , i am walking to work today on a cobbled road and my toe clips the top of a stuck out cobble, which totally jars my knee and sends a searing pain through my MCL / Miniscus area. 

Now its not as bad when i did the injury, but its not exactly healthy either. quite worried tbh. been icing and using anti inflam gels but it doesnt feel great. 

shitting bricks for 6 weeks now :(

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Assuming everyone is now totally ripped?

I’m off to a pre-work HIIT class. Anyone reckon they work? I just feel guilty when I do a 30-minute class and end up supplementing it on a cardio machine anyway.

Depends how much you put it in for that 30 mins, if you work til you've nothing left then you've done the workout right. The object of the workout is in the name, I see many people just going through the motions with the exercises rather than working at high intensity. 

yay, hit the 2 stone off mark this morning...and average mile/min smashed down to 6:20 at the weekend parkrun :)

The weight loss really has made a huge difference to speed...

On the downside tripped over a tree root last night on a 7 mile trail run and ankle bloody smarting today...That's made me think twice about any more trail runs between now and Glastonbury !!!

I've recently got back to the gym and have been increasing my fitness levels. Not overweight or particularly unhealthy but haven't been properly fit since I stopped playing football years ago. I'm curious to know what others experiences are from people that have 'got fit' in the run up to a festival? Was there noticeable benefits in comparison to previous years where you've been unfit?

9 minutes ago, BeddyDriver said:

yay, hit the 2 stone off mark this morning...and average mile/min smashed down to 6:20 at the weekend parkrun :)

The weight loss really has made a huge difference to speed...

On the downside tripped over a tree root last night on a 7 mile trail run and ankle bloody smarting today...That's made me think twice about any more trail runs between now and Glastonbury !!!

I feel your pain. I fell arse over tit outside Mary’s gate on Monday. A real face plant.  2 knees bruised and ribs feel sore. Hurts to breathe. Better be gone by bank holiday as I have Shindig festival to go to. I was having a nosey at what was going on inside the fence. Just glad I was out of sight of security.

14 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

I feel your pain. I fell arse over tit outside Mary’s gate on Monday. A real face plant.  2 knees bruised and ribs feel sore. Hurts to breathe. Better be gone by bank holiday as I have Shindig festival to go to. I was having a nosey at what was going on inside the fence. Just glad I was out of sight of security.

Also going to Shindig - looking forward to it! You been before?

Did 10 mins row and then 30-minute class. Did it as hard as I could (always try and push it to whatever limit I can manage) but wouldn't say it totally killed me (apart from the jogging on the spot and then high knees interspersed with burpees).

18 minutes ago, Fussah said:

I've recently got back to the gym and have been increasing my fitness levels. Not overweight or particularly unhealthy but haven't been properly fit since I stopped playing football years ago. I'm curious to know what others experiences are from people that have 'got fit' in the run up to a festival? Was there noticeable benefits in comparison to previous years where you've been unfit?

Started going gym 4 months before fest in 2017, compared to previous years could explore more of the site without getting breathless and was generally easier carrying the kit in etc. Now over 2 years later, whilst have put on some weight (presumably from where I've been bulking with protein) I feel significantly fitter! Even if my body's gotten injured twice in the last month... pulled muscles in my shoulders and back 3 weeks ago and now I've done something to my knee! 

1 hour ago, Fussah said:

definitely, never been totally unfit per say but a few years ago now I decided to go back to running and weights in the gym, find I have more energy and am better able to deal with the huge amount of walking in terms of body not aching etc.  Also now I've been using weights etc the walk in with a shed load of stuff leaves me less whacked out and more able to carry stuff without massive pain the following day

About 6 weeks ago I made the decision to start getting a little fitter for Glastonbury. I hate running as it really hurts my knees (and I'm crap at it!) 

Decided to increase the amount I walk each day and reduce how much beer I drink.

Dog out twice a day and a pushed longer walk in the evening (about 4 miles) I'm up to around 8 or 9 miles a day now.

Lost 9lbs (wasnt really much over weight) feel fitter and healthier. I expect it to come down by a few more pounds before the festival which will bring me back to the weight I was 15 years ago!

Also my festival shorts fit me again which is a real plus :) 

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 10:51 PM, StupidDream said:

In the next few weeks I'll probably decide whether I'll do a half marathon in the autumn. Handful of local 5-10k races coming up, combined with training. Never did more than 10 miles in a race, and I already feel a bit terrified about the half. Let alone a full marathon - can't ever see me doing one.

Training wise, would be great to not have a very hot summer :P

I completed my first half marathon last autumn. I chose Birmingham half which was early October. I had only run up to 10miles when i decided to go for it!

You'll be absolutely fine, I trained 3x a week, usually did around 2x 3-5mile runs in the week (and these were mainly 5kms if im honest) and then my long run was at the weekend. The long run started at 6mile and increased by a mile a week up until 2 weeks before.

I think I only actually ran 10/11mile before the big day - go for it youll love it! I saw a huge improvement in my running with the training . 

I yoga, swim and run in the week, and go hiking lots at weekends! Im hoping this all aids me with my plodding round the festival and dancing all hours!