Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

3 * Family birthdays and Easter over and done with for another year - already back to the same weight I was on 1st April, 15lbs to loose in just over 50 days to get down to < 13 Stone for Glasto...

Weight Watchers (AKA Fat-Club) weigh-in on Thursday, currently on track to loose 1.5lbs - 2lbs this week.

I bought myself a rowing machine about 4 weeks ago. After using it 5 times a week really starting to feel the benefit of it now.

Row for 4 minutes with a 2 minute rest and do this 3 times. Manage to do about 1.6k in 4 mins and keep at around 32 strokes per min.

Went for my first run in a month (due to a dodgy knee) and knocked 90 seconds off my time for the 7k route that I do. 

So long as I stay injury free I'll be the fittest I've ever been by the time glasto comes round.

19 minutes ago, dccool said:

I bought myself a rowing machine about 4 weeks ago. After using it 5 times a week really starting to feel the benefit of it now.

Row for 4 minutes with a 2 minute rest and do this 3 times. Manage to do about 1.6k in 4 mins and keep at around 32 strokes per min.

Went for my first run in a month (due to a dodgy knee) and knocked 90 seconds off my time for the 7k route that I do. 

So long as I stay injury free I'll be the fittest I've ever been by the time glasto comes round.

that's good going ... I used to do 10k rows a few times per week when my back was in good shape ... no longer unfortunately .... gentle 2k swims instead 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

that's good going ... I used to do 10k rows a few times per week when my back was in good shape ... no longer unfortunately .... gentle 2k swims instead 

I have suffered with sciatica over the last couple of years so that was my concern with rowing. So far so good and my physio says it shouldn't set it off so long as I keep good posture.

I also go swimming I got in to that to help with my sciatica and love it although generally swim more in the winter.

4 minutes ago, dccool said:

I have suffered with sciatica over the last couple of years so that was my concern with rowing. So far so good and my physio says it shouldn't set it off so long as I keep good posture.

I also go swimming I got in to that to help with my sciatica and love it although generally swim more in the winter.

cheers ... might have a gentle go ... if I possibly can (not really in my nature ) :) 

Late to the party here...

Lost 4.5 stone over 18 months Feb 2015-Aug 2016. Went from 18.5-13.5 stone.

Various reasons led to me letting it slip...and have found myself back at 17stone at the weekend (could no longer stretch those T-shirt’s anymore!)

Now back at the gym, and today I’ve started using a calorie counter app (2,000 max) 

hoping to get down to 15.5st by the time of Glastonbury!

10 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Various reasons led to me letting it slip...and have found myself back at 17stone at the weekend (could no longer stretch those T-shirt’s anymore!)

Now back at the gym, and today I’ve started using a calorie counter app (2,000 max) 

Good luck! Try the 18/6 diet of you can. Worked for me! 

Shredded down to 14'3 for Benicassim last summer, not running as regular this year as had problems with outside of left knee… if I cut down on the beer/carbs as much as possible until G I want to get down from 14'13 to about 14'6 i'll be happy (have both more muscle & fat on me now)

Going to blast out a 10k this morning, should be able to do in and around 63 mins - hopefully get back to around 55 the week of G.

Also massive big up @HughJass

Hit 80kg this morning, that's 5kg off in just over 5 weeks. Body fat's down nearly 4% as well. Nearly done, but it's definitely worked. Still can't wait for Sunday night's chippy tea to celebrate the end of it though ! :lol:

Knee held up in the gym yesterday so back on spin tonight as well :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Hit 80kg this morning, that's 5kg off in just over 5 weeks. Body fat's down nearly 4% as well. Nearly done, but it's definitely worked. Still can't wait for Sunday night's chippy tea to celebrate the end of it though ! :lol:

Well done. I'm full of a cold this week so my steps have gone way down. 

49 minutes ago, Quark said:

Impressive! I'm really trying the low-carb thing now, much to my housemates disgust when its my turn to cook. Although they appreciated being able to eat the majority of my easter eggs, so swings and roundabouts

Today my calves and feet are aching a bit from yesterday's run (not used to running really, normally just do spinning or cardio hit, which are obvs less impact) and my shoulders ache from climbing last night, so was thinking of giving myself a rest....but if I get bored this afternoon I may go for a bit and try some arm/leg stuff on the weights. Is that a good idea, or should I just wait until tomorrow spin class?

28 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Impressive! I'm really trying the low-carb thing now, much to my housemates disgust when its my turn to cook. Although they appreciated being able to eat the majority of my easter eggs, so swings and roundabouts

Today my calves and feet are aching a bit from yesterday's run (not used to running really, normally just do spinning or cardio hit, which are obvs less impact) and my shoulders ache from climbing last night, so was thinking of giving myself a rest....but if I get bored this afternoon I may go for a bit and try some arm/leg stuff on the weights. Is that a good idea, or should I just wait until tomorrow spin class?

Generally good to have a couple (two min?) rest days a week. But if you're on a fitness splurge then you can often get away with exercising 7/7. How many days have you done in a row? Alternating cardio and weights or different body parts exercised on different days is generally a good idea.

13 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I think you might be being over ambitious. I'm sure 2 pounds a week is normally recommended as the safe maximum rate to lose weight.

2 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I think you might be being over ambitious. I'm sure 2 pounds a week is normally recommended as the safe maximum rate to lose weight.

If you're really good you can lose four or five in a week. It's how you manage it after that dictates if it comes back.

ran 11.5 miles around, up and over,  Watership Down last night...... Legs Feeling battered today ?

On the plus side I'm down from 102kg to  92kg (a tad over 16 stone to 14 7 )  in 7 weeks :) ,  pretty much 3lbs per week off in real money...

My weight crept up after a series of ops reduced my exercise intensity/ frequency, but now back on it, and feeling better than ever at the ripe old age of 50 :)

Determined to have a bash at London 2020, even applied for charity places already !

3 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

well perhaps its ambitious - tbh if I can get down to 16stone that would do me fine. :)

4lb off of 3 stone down in 16 months - not the fastest but defo steady and much fitter. Still another 1.5-2 stone to go, but if I can get the 4lb off in the next 5 weeks then I'll be happier .. got a few weekends away and its going to be tough (I'm such a slow loser despite being on 1250 calories a day) - I may have to start running in the mornings as well as lifting in the evenings to give it all a 5 week boost !!!

22 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

4lb off of 3 stone down in 16 months - not the fastest but defo steady and much fitter. Still another 1.5-2 stone to go, but if I can get the 4lb off in the next 5 weeks then I'll be happier .. got a few weekends away and its going to be tough (I'm such a slow loser despite being on 1250 calories a day) - I may have to start running in the mornings as well as lifting in the evenings to give it all a 5 week boost !!!

I've always been quite active but its the calorie count I struggle with.

I was looking last night what a large dominos is in calories (almost 4,000) and I used to scoff one of those easily with a hangover :S