Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

On 4/17/2019 at 10:34 AM, Superscally said:

21 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

well I came on to say I've started taking advantage of having a standing desk at work. Alternating between standing for 30 mins and sitting for 30 mins. Hoping it means I wont get my normal sore back from standing for too long during gigs.

It now seems rather pathetic and insignificant now after reading Super Scally's post :o

Definitely not insignificant! Someone's got to do the crazy shit. This was my turn ?

On 4/17/2019 at 10:47 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I am indeedy.

It’s getting worryingly close now.

Awesome - if you're at the expo, I'm talking at 1040 on Saturday! Good luck

20 hours ago, Quark said:

Would it help to know he's a terrible person and kicks puppies for fun?

That's what I tell myself anyway.

Lol, I'm a vet! ?

19 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Thanks although even more respect for you today after a 3 hour walk around Formby. walking on sand especially up dunes is a killer and I feel like Fitbit should adjust for this and give you twice the steps and floors because it's definitely twice the effort. 

The sand was a killer. At least 50% slower on the dunes. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

That's the plan! Knee feels OK if not 100%, so going to rest it for a couple more days then make use of the weather forecast for Saturday and get out on the bikes with Mrs Q. Reckon we'll push for a decent distance, planning to do the 100km Cotswolds Classic route on the end of May BH weekend so be good to get some miles in :)

Sounds like a good un! NFRNFC

Started keto on 1st April. Lost 9 pounds (4.1kg) so far. I'm 175 lb and my goal weight is 170 and then I'll start to focus on building up stamina levels and maintaining my weight. I gym 5 times a week (weights) and mainly eat eggs, cheese, meat, fish & green veggies. I've experimented making some keto meals / snacks as well.

If anyone wants to chat low carb/keto I'll be happy reciprocate with my experiences ?

Hey @Hugh Jass do you have any sort of training plan you've been following for your upcoming marathon?

I've done plenty of half's and an ultra (didn't train for that really) but need something which will keep me accountable so to speak.

It's bizarre as I feel like a complete novice all of a sudden.

I'd like to be able to do a sub 4 or even sub 3.30 in my wildest dreams so any help appreciated!

4 hours ago, Superscally said:

Definitely not insignificant! Someone's got to do the crazy shit. This was my turn ?

Awesome - if you're at the expo, I'm talking at 1040 on Saturday! Good luck

Lol, I'm a vet! ?

The sand was a killer. At least 50% slower on the dunes. 

Sounds like a good un! NFRNFC

I'm sure he wouldn't kick my puppies because I am certain that it is there cuteness that keeps them alive.  

Yesterday I did something like 30 floors on dunes and I swear it hurt more than the 175 floors around Lyme Park. 

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Hey @Hugh Jass do you have any sort of training plan you've been following for your upcoming marathon?

I've done plenty of half's and an ultra (didn't train for that really) but need something which will keep me accountable so to speak.

It's bizarre as I feel like a complete novice all of a sudden.

I'd like to be able to do a sub 4 or even sub 3.30 in my wildest dreams so any help appreciated!

To be honest I’m nowhere near as quick as you’re planning to be, I’m aiming somewhere around 4.45 at best.

Didn’t really have a training plan, just kept periodically upping my mileage. Although I have been keeping an eye on the LM Training plan for advice on tapering distances.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/trainingplans/

Gonna do 6-7 miles tomorrow, then same again Monday then that’ll probably be it until race day.

Made a conscious decision about a week ago that I would allow myself to go a little bit off-plan as it's Good Friday.  Idea being that thinking it through and saying "this is what I'll do" was way better than pushing myself to the point where I just crack and stuff my face!

So my mid-morning snack is a hot cross bun (allowed myself a pack for the weekend). Watched it toasting like a hawk, pausing and turning to make sure there's absolutely no burning, just a nice even toast.  Went careful with the butter, but from the outside in to make sure the whole thing got an even coating. Sat down with a cup of coffee now.

It may be the single most wonderful thing I've ever eaten :lol:

Had a 5 km test run on the track yesterday evening. Really stressful week and wasn't feeling great during my two latest training sessions. To make it worse, woke up with a strange feeling in my knee; wouldn't really classify it as pain, but not a great feeling. Even during the warming up - knee didn't feel too bad during running - I wasn't really feeling it. Also worrying about the sudden rise in temperatures, and 5k on a track is a mental challenge (12.5 laps!). However... it went exactly according to the plan I had made last week: laps in ca. 1:44, which would bring me to 21:40. Was a bit faster in the beginning and struggling in the end, but got to 21:28. Not near my PB, but wasn't expecting that. So, nice boost of confidence after the downward spiral I was in. 

Of course, some great weather coming up, but not really for runners. Cycling, yes. Will be up early this Sunday to get some 8 miles done in cool conditions :lol: 

Seeing some great achievements in here, by various people. Each on their own level :P Well done, keep going. I stopped with comparing myself to others, as I'm not exactly talented in any sport. I also opt for healthy exercise :lol: 

With weather improving and leaves returning, I'm also feeling excited to do another 10-20 days trekking with backpack. Won't be for this year, I think :( But will message my pell that we should start making plans. God I love making plans. Thinking about doing some long-distance paths in Wales. Anybody with experiences doing these, and do you have recommendations?

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, gigpusher said:

I'm sure he wouldn't kick my puppies because I am certain that it is there cuteness that keeps them alive.  

Yesterday I did something like 30 floors on dunes and I swear it hurt more than the 175 floors around Lyme Park. 

Dunes are evil. There is a technique to running them well. I didn't master it. ?

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Neither did I!! The dogs on the other hand are dune demons. I suspect 4 paw drive gives them a natural advantage!

Dogs on dunes.jpg

This is a great picture, should be on a wall, as big as possible :P

I don't like walking and running in sands, too much pain, especially afterwards. I prefer lying down.

On 4/18/2019 at 4:20 PM, gigpusher said:

D'oh that's rubbish!! Is there anywhere you can rent one near you?

Managed to find a rental place, was weird riding a different bike though! Been on mine for 8 years, felt very odd!

Knee was ok, not perfect but was just good to be out in this weather. Fairly lazy 35km and time for lunch! :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StupidDream said:

This is a great picture, should be on a wall, as big as possible :P

I don't like walking and running in sands, too much pain, especially afterwards. I prefer lying down.

I was quite pleased with it for a phone picture. I'm a bit obsessed with my Fitbit but do think there should be a setting where you can say that you were on sand or off road because sometimes you have what you think is a monster day but you look at the stats and it's like really I only got that much for it! 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Managed to find a rental place, was weird riding a different bike though! Been on mine for 8 years, felt very odd!

Knee was ok, not perfect but was just good to be out in this weather. Fairly lazy 35km and time for lunch! :P

At least you got out. I've been aiming for over 20k steps every day this week and now want to break my floors record which means doing at least 50 today and tomorrow. 

I read a few years ago that a punter had once attached a pedometer to his leg. Over the course of five days he found he'd walked 35 miles, just strolling between campsite, stages, venues and bars. I guess that's about average. So to get into training you need to walk seven mile a day!

(I cheat because I take my bike and cycle round!)

On 4/19/2019 at 12:33 PM, StupidDream said:

Thinking about doing some long-distance paths in Wales. Anybody with experiences doing these, and do you have recommendations?

My brother does a lot on the Brecons and Black Mountains, I can ask him. Although being my brother it's unlikely that you'll get a remotely useful answer tbh.

Are you thinking long multi-day trails/paths, or just good single day jobs? Perhaps to be combined if you want to pitch tent in the evenings?