Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The 'super' prefix is justified in this username 

Plus he still hasn't got rid of the Forrest Gump beard he grew running across America 5 times. Imagine running in Saharan heat with that! Props.

Edited by Woffy

21 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Plus he still hasn't got rid of the Forrest Gump beard he grew running across America 5 times. Imagine running in Saharan heat with that! Props.

Here's me trimming my beard today cause I was uncomfortable running a 6k with it last night ?

• Like 1

@Quark

@Woffy

@The Clearest Blue

@SwedgeAntilles

Thank you for the kind and amusing words. Glad to be back, in solid training for my F5 finger and watching my toenails look more and more precarious! I have not long finished a loooong blog (befitting, I guess) detailing my experiences. Maybe a longer read, so grab an orange Club and a cup of tea. 

Can be found at www.goingthedistancerun.com and if anyone is entertained, you can donate to my causes, the WWF and Peace Direct (as well as find out about their work there). Not expecting a pound a mile, but not refusing if anyone is really drunk/excited. 

Cheers guys. Waiting for @Woffy to continue his BEASTMODE so he can take up the torch ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bloody knee popped tonight in the middle of my deadlift sets. Feels stable, but can't squat  below about 45 degrees without it flaring up. Hoping it was just the kneecap moving around and aggravating the tendon, otherwise that's my fitness drive buggered! Couple of days rest on it I think...

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bloody knee popped tonight in the middle of my deadlift sets. Feels stable, but can't squat  below about 45 degrees without it flaring up. Hoping it was just the kneecap moving around and aggravating the tendon, otherwise that's my fitness drive buggered! Couple of days rest on it I think...

Oh no! Hope its nothing too serious!

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Ouch, hope you recover soon. Mine seems to click on my warm up sets but not the heavier ones, no pain or anything just an unsettling clicking. My dad had surgery on both knees so I'm always nervous that one day I'll be squatting and they'll just go. 

13 hours ago, gigpusher said:

So I was happy to have done nearly 35k steps and 176 floors yesterday as part of my Glasto training yesterday but seeing Superscally's achievement has made me feel all inadequate again!!

That's bloody great! Never let anyone make you feel bad about whatever efforts you make... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Give it a week off, physio if no better. Hope it's a tweak! 

12 hours ago, Superscally said:

@Quark

@Woffy

@The Clearest Blue

@SwedgeAntilles

Thank you for the kind and amusing words. Glad to be back, in solid training for my F5 finger and watching my toenails look more and more precarious! I have not long finished a loooong blog (befitting, I guess) detailing my experiences. Maybe a longer read, so grab an orange Club and a cup of tea. 

Can be found at www.goingthedistancerun.com and if anyone is entertained, you can donate to my causes, the WWF and Peace Direct (as well as find out about their work there). Not expecting a pound a mile, but not refusing if anyone is really drunk/excited. 

Cheers guys. Waiting for @Woffy to continue his BEASTMODE so he can take up the torch ?

Dude, the part about the toenails! ??

11 hours ago, Superscally said:

Give it a week off, physio if no better. Hope it's a tweak! 

Pretty sure it's a tweak, think it's movement causing a tendon flare up rather than anything structural.  Movement around is fine, but it's when the quad is putting tension through the kneecap that's the problem.  Should be OK to isolate the left leg with most of the weight exercises I'm doing, and might just be a case of cycling rather than running for a bit.  Time to dig the turbo trainer out in the garage!

52 minutes ago, Quark said:

Pretty sure it's a tweak, think it's movement causing a tendon flare up rather than anything structural.  Movement around is fine, but it's when the quad is putting tension through the kneecap that's the problem.  Should be OK to isolate the left leg with most of the weight exercises I'm doing, and might just be a case of cycling rather than running for a bit.  Time to dig the turbo trainer out in the garage!

Sounds a plan! Get out and get some vitamin D in ya while we have the chance! 

well I came on to say I've started taking advantage of having a standing desk at work. Alternating between standing for 30 mins and sitting for 30 mins. Hoping it means I wont get my normal sore back from standing for too long during gigs.

It now seems rather pathetic and insignificant now after reading Super Scally's post :o

24 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

well I came on to say I've started taking advantage of having a standing desk at work. Alternating between standing for 30 mins and sitting for 30 mins. Hoping it means I wont get my normal sore back from standing for too long during gigs.

It now seems rather pathetic and insignificant now after reading Super Scally's post :o

Would it help to know he's a terrible person and kicks puppies for fun?

That's what I tell myself anyway.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Superscally said:

That's bloody great! Never let anyone make you feel bad about whatever efforts you make... 

Thanks although even more respect for you today after a 3 hour walk around Formby. walking on sand especially up dunes is a killer and I feel like Fitbit should adjust for this and give you twice the steps and floors because it's definitely twice the effort. 

I got a fitbit! So excited.

Anyway, I did a 'Lent' challenge and my 6 weeks is up! 
I lost 10lbs in total (bringing my overall total from October 2018 to 2 stone!) 2 inches from my bust, 4 inches from my wait and 3 from my hips. Very pleased. I had a baby in Feb last year and just let myself get out of control over the summer. 

I'm now doing a 10 week Glastonbury Challenge to hopefully get to my goal! 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Superscally said:

Sounds a plan! Get out and get some vitamin D in ya while we have the chance! 

That's the plan! Knee feels OK if not 100%, so going to rest it for a couple more days then make use of the weather forecast for Saturday and get out on the bikes with Mrs Q. Reckon we'll push for a decent distance, planning to do the 100km Cotswolds Classic route on the end of May BH weekend so be good to get some miles in :)

43 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

I got a fitbit! So excited.

Anyway, I did a 'Lent' challenge and my 6 weeks is up! 
I lost 10lbs in total (bringing my overall total from October 2018 to 2 stone!) 2 inches from my bust, 4 inches from my wait and 3 from my hips. Very pleased. I had a baby in Feb last year and just let myself get out of control over the summer. 

I'm now doing a 10 week Glastonbury Challenge to hopefully get to my goal! 

That's great progress.

I got a fitbit for Christmas and found it's been really good at encouraging me to be more active.