Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

24 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I'd love to shift a bit of weight but with two kids under 3 and work, I don't have time to go the the gym.

Would a better diet and a few runs a week be the way forward? 

Weight is more dictated by diet than exercise. You could negate 10 mins on the running machine by just eating a bag of crisps! Cutting carbs is the easiest answer.

8 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Cheers, will do. I think a big thing for me will be cutting out fizzy drinks - they're my vice!

Just drink diet - they're zero calories! I don't drink them that much, but when I do I have Diet Coke/Pepsi Max.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

You could negate 10 mins on the running machine by just eating a bag of crisps! 

Oh man....This is my problem. I exercise loads but I always just assume that means I can eat whatever I want ?

Ok. 47 days until Ibiza and 79 until Glastonbury. I can do this!

14 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Oh man....This is my problem. I exercise loads but I always just assume that means I can eat whatever I want ?

Ok. 47 days until Ibiza and 79 until Glastonbury. I can do this!

I did that combo for years and it was only last May when I made some serious effort to think a bit more 'scientifically' that I've seen big changes (lost a stone and a half). It's worth tweaking if if you can!

56 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Sorry, Quark, I'm sure you've explained this already, but are you doing a zero carb diet alongside a PT thing at the gym?

I try and do low carb.....but I'm even pretty shit at that, so no carbs sounds so hard. Would it even mean no couscous and no porridge oats? Like actually ZERO carbs?

And does it mean you've also stopped drinking? My approach to lose weight by not drinking until my thesis is submitted is absolutely not working. If anything, I'm drinking more and have just stopped having any chill out time (which tbf, I often find quite dull anyway)

Pretty much Sas. It's in theory an 8 week plan, but for various reasons I'm only sticking to it for 6.  It's a remote approach, so it's training programme and diet advice / macro targets provided, with online contact and WhatsApp for updates and check ins.  Works for me as I'm quite happy to motivate myself in the gym.

So the diet's a 40% protein / 40% fats / 20% carbs with a target of about 2,000 Kcal/day. All the carbs have to come from veg, so very limited fruit to keep sugar down, and no grains or starchy carbs like rice, pasta, quinoa, oats, couscous, bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc. An absolute change from my normal way of eating, which is why it's having such an immediate effect I guess.

Training's 3 gym sessions a week, quite heavy lifts and low reps, and aiming for 3 cardio sessions and a rest day on top of that.

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

I'd love to shift a bit of weight but with two kids under 3 and work, I don't have time to go the the gym.

Would a better diet and a few runs a week be the way forward? 

36 minutes ago, Homer said:

Weight is more dictated by diet than exercise. You could negate 10 mins on the running machine by just eating a bag of crisps! Cutting carbs is the easiest answer.

Aye, very much this.  The general maxim you'll hear is that you can't outrun a bad diet :D

Cutting down on the fizzies is a definite way forward.  Easiest way I find to be good about food is generally a question of what benefit am I getting from this / why am I eating it?  So much of what we munch Is effectively empty calories. It's not a case of cutting them out completely as that can be a bit joyless, but equally it's good to have a balance.

Using something like myfitnesspal is a good start as it show what you're actually putting away as opposed to what you think you're putting away.  It's a pain in the arse to keep using it as it's something else to maintain, but it's quite a good starting point.

• Like 1

Had a great training run (9 mi) the weekend before, so was pretty confident. Had a 10k race yesterday and somehow it was really hard. Others of my running group also suffered. Really knackered today, going for a walk in an hour and hopefully feeling better. 

Maybe doing my first half marathon in autumn, but not feeling it at the moment... I'm not an endurance guy.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Aye, very much this.  The general maxim you'll hear is that you can't outrun a bad diet :D

Cutting down on the fizzies is a definite way forward.  Easiest way I find to be good about food is generally a question of what benefit am I getting from this / why am I eating it?  So much of what we munch Is effectively empty calories. It's not a case of cutting them out completely as that can be a bit joyless, but equally it's good to have a balance.

Using something like myfitnesspal is a good start as it show what you're actually putting away as opposed to what you think you're putting away.  It's a pain in the arse to keep using it as it's something else to maintain, but it's quite a good starting point.

Yeah, balance is def good. One good way of trying to 'regulate' it, I find, is that I try and keep on top of it in the week (which I find pretty easy at work) then let it go a bit at weekends. I heard that with intermittent fasting it works with two days off anyway. But even then, if I'm hungover on Sunday, I might treat myself to a grilled chicken kebab as opposed to a massive pizza or whatever.

I found that lists like this were really good at, as Quark alluded to, teaching me which foods did more for me. I substituted some of these in at the expense of carbs. As I like the foods I chose to add in already (savoury popcorn, soup, chicken, salad), I don't feel like I'm missing out too much.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/20-most-weight-loss-friendly-foods

Edited by Homer

After a period of not really sure what to focus on I entered Bristol Half marathon last night.

I've done it a number of times with my pb standing at 1:35:08 so my main focus is going to be sub 1:35 come raceday in September.

Really want to do a full marathon as well so looking at Brighton in 2020 for that.

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

After a period of not really sure what to focus on I entered Bristol Half marathon last night.

I've done it a number of times with my pb standing at 1:35:08 so my main focus is going to be sub 1:35 come raceday in September.

Really want to do a full marathon as well so looking at Brighton in 2020 for that.

I'm also signed up to do this, it'll be my first ever half marathon and I'm very nervous about it, I'll be aiming for any time under 2 hours though, not up to your speeds yet!

Carbs are not the enemy when it comes to fat loss.. eating too many calories is. Eating very low carb will often make you miserable and mean you are unlikely to sustain a healthy eating/fitness regime

Try downloading a free app like MyFitnessPal and inputting everything you eat over 1/2/3 days. Its often quite surprising how many calories are in things you didn't realise.

Keep an eye on fat intake - a tablespoon of peanut butter is often seen as a healthy snack but can easily be 200+ calories

17 minutes ago, joeruss said:

Carbs are not the enemy when it comes to fat loss.. eating too many calories is. Eating very low carb will often make you miserable and mean you are unlikely to sustain a healthy eating/fitness regime

Try downloading a free app like MyFitnessPal and inputting everything you eat over 1/2/3 days. Its often quite surprising how many calories are in things you didn't realise.

Keep an eye on fat intake - a tablespoon of peanut butter is often seen as a healthy snack but can easily be 200+ calories

Agreed. As well as cutting carbs, have also been eating less and exercising even more. That has worked surprisingly! I haven't found low carb has effected mood too much at all (which surprised me).

I don’t run. Ever. So I have done the logical thing and signed up for the Royal Parks Half in October. Gunna get the C25K under my belt, then the 16 week training plan starts. The week before Glastonbury. So if you see someone going for a run at 6am, that’ll be me ??‍♀️

10 hours ago, joeruss said:

I am not sure that is all true, only just started reading up on it more though, so excuse any ignorance . Carbs get turned into glucose in the body to give you energy (Jacket potato is the same as about 19 cubes of sugar) if you are not using that energy then insulin will take over and move that glucose to storage, which in most cases is fat as that is the best storage for us humans to then use at a later date (I thought muscle would be better ) , but we tend not too so it stays as fat.

It all depends obviously on what carbs you take in as well as nearly everything has carbs in it that we convert to energy.

As I say I have only really just started reading about it so my limited knowledge maybe misplaced some what at the moment. But it appears that lowering certain carb intake will be good for not putting on fat. also read that we have a biological sweet spot for Fat to carbs ratio (1 to 2 I think) which all the big companies know and make their food to that combination, our pre-programed brains can't get enough of it.

I did my final long training run at the weekend, just a couple of small runs left this week before the marathon on Sunday. Strangely looking forward to it but mixed in with a few pre-race nerves! 

The weather forecast doesn’t look too bad for the day, overcast, a bit nippy but no strong wind which was my biggest worry after some horrific training runs in that bad weather a few weeks ago.

Also cant wait to finally crack open the cans of Brewdog that have been patiently sitting in my fridge for the past two months! 

8 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I am not sure that is all true, only just started reading up on it more though, so excuse any ignorance . Carbs get turned into glucose in the body to give you energy (Jacket potato is the same as about 19 cubes of sugar) if you are not using that energy then insulin will take over and move that glucose to storage, which in most cases is fat as that is the best storage for us humans to then use at a later date (I thought muscle would be better ) , but we tend not too so it stays as fat.

It all depends obviously on what carbs you take in as well as nearly everything has carbs in it that we convert to energy.

As I say I have only really just started reading about it so my limited knowledge maybe misplaced some what at the moment. But it appears that lowering certain carb intake will be good for not putting on fat. also read that we have a biological sweet spot for Fat to carbs ratio (1 to 2 I think) which all the big companies know and make their food to that combination, our pre-programed brains can't get enough of it.

So much of it depends on what you're aiming to achieve, what you're doing to get there, and how fast you want it to happen. There used to be the idea that you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time; not true, but if you focus on one or the other it'll happen quicker.

There's a growing school of thought that, while the results take longer to show, the long slow approach without veering to the extremes is more sustainable and better for the body. But people tend to struggle with motivation when they don't see immediate results.

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

So much of it depends on what you're aiming to achieve, what you're doing to get there, and how fast you want it to happen. There used to be the idea that you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time; not true, but if you focus on one or the other it'll happen quicker.

There's a growing school of thought that, while the results take longer to show, the long slow approach without veering to the extremes is more sustainable and better for the body. But people tend to struggle with motivation when they don't see immediate results.

Ok, I'm giving the low carb thing a go today....just to see if I can make it through without being starving hungry! I shall report back :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

Wife signed me up to Weight Watchers in Feb.

Currently 18 lbs lost - 18 to go....

Good stuff!

Had the perfect pre-fest workout last night. Our spin instructor takes an eclectic approach to her music choices, pretty much guaranteed to be an entertaining workout.  Her current playlist, first run last night, includes a mix of The Raver by Ayah Marar, complete with getting you to get hands in the air it give it some before hitting the sprints.  So the perfect combination of fitness and getting a groove on! :lol:

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

How was it Sas?

Not gonna lie, I was pretty starving after breakfast (0% everything yoghurt) but had some almonds to keep me going. Also, my housemates said they "missed the carbs" when I cooked dinner and replaced the rice with some steamed veg. 

Yesterday I was doing pretty well, but then went to my friends house who gave me naan, garlic bread and rice..... So. Massive fail there. 

It's doable though. The morning is the shitter as I usually have a overnight oats porridge pot with a chopped banana to eat at my desk after the gym. Can't really work out what to have instead that I can bring to work that will fill me up until lunch. Any ideas?

Some Googling did suggest that (unsurprisingly) white wine has a whole lot less carbs than cider. Sadly it also makes me a lot more belligerent :lol:

Edited by Sasperella