Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Popping into this thread as just reached a big target, dropped under 13 stone in what must be the first time for about 8 or so years. Over 3 stone lost in just over a year. Been partaking in bootcamp style courses, but the training facilities are all Obstacle Course Race based, really great way to get fit, keeps it interesting. Target for this year is to attend a few of the OCR events. Hopefully this year I’ll travel around the site a bit more than previous years.

• Upvote 1

if anyone with expertise in this matter can give me an honest answer:

one of our group is due to have hip labrum surgery on in early may. badly torn labrum, will be operated on, will he be able to go to glastonbury 8 weeks later without any risk to the recovery / without any pain? should he just knock this one on the head and not pay his ticket balance? last day for refunds is may 3rd.

Just now, TiZuff said:

if anyone with expertise in this matter can give me an honest answer:

one of our group is due to have hip labrum surgery on in early may. badly torn labrum, will be operated on, will he be able to go to glastonbury 8 weeks later without any risk to the recovery / without any pain? should he just knock this one on the head and not pay his ticket balance? last day for refunds is may 3rd.

That's very much one for his surgeon and physio/aftercare to answer I would think bud. Fingers crossed

39 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's very much one for his surgeon and physio/aftercare to answer I would think bud. Fingers crossed

doubt it the surgeon will know the rigours of walking around glastonbury! was just hoping someone on the boards will know something about recovery and weather or no it is a risk 6-8 weeks after surgery?

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, TiZuff said:

doubt it the surgeon will know the rigours of walking around glastonbury! was just hoping someone on the boards will know something about recovery and weather or no it is a risk 6-8 weeks after surgery?

True, but might be able to offer some equivalent guidance.  If your mate puts in in terms of "I'll be on my feet for pretty much 5 days solid, on terrain that can vary from solid dry fields to an absolute muddy quagmire" then they'll at least have an idea of what he's in for!

15 hours ago, TiZuff said:

He’s decided not to go . Prob fir the best . Gutted for him though 

Ah that sucks, hope his recovery goes well.

32 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I tapered about 5 weeks ago, no marathon looming, just lost mojo. Need to have a word with myself :(

My mojo is back since I started this PT course. I was definitely right about spending the money to focus the mind! :lol:

Nearly 2 weeks in and by last count I'm about 2kg of body fat down, not bad considering I started at 85kg.

Friday night though, could murder a curry later :P

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah that sucks, hope his recovery goes well.

My mojo is back since I started this PT course. I was definitely right about spending the money to focus the mind! :lol:

Nearly 2 weeks in and by last count I'm about 2kg of body fat down, not bad considering I started at 85kg.

Friday night though, could murder a curry later :P

Fucking hell 85kg, what i’d give to be 85kg!! I’m 105kg, tall fecker though, more so than a ferengi ;)

Edited by John the Moth
Corrected an auto correct

3 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Fucking hell 85kg, what i’d give to be 85kg!! I’m 105kg, tall fecker though, more so than a ferengi ;)

I like to think I'm compact :lol:

Strangely, when I was playing rugby more seriously what I wouldn't have given to be 105kg!

It's funny though, because I'm fortunate to have a frame and shape that carries well the perception and comments from everyone at work or whatever is "you don't need to lose anything". All about personal targets innit :)

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I like to think I'm compact :lol:

It's funny though, because I'm fortunate to have a frame and shape that carries well the perception and comments from everyone at work or whatever is "you don't need to lose anything". All about personal targets innit :)

Same. Last time I was close to my calculated “ideal weight” I had the figure of Kate Moss

Well, 2 weeks in. 2kg down, body fat down by 2% and getting on with the diet now. Considering I've had no carbs beyond veg I'm surprised that my energy levels have stayed up.

The main bonus is my motivation is definitely back. Back to doing parkrun again, and not missed a gym session so far. Even made it this morning for quite a heavy session! Sundays would normally involve the sofa, coffee and a couple of croissants :D

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Well, 2 weeks in. 2kg down, body fat down by 2% and getting on with the diet now. Considering I've had no carbs beyond veg I'm surprised that my energy levels have stayed up.

The main bonus is my motivation is definitely back. Back to doing parkrun again, and not missed a gym session so far. Even made it this morning for quite a heavy session! Sundays would normally involve the sofa, coffee and a couple of croissants :D

That’s great work. I’m worried about keeping this up once the marathon is done. Not helped by the large hole in my knee where the cartilage used to be.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

That’s great work. I’m worried about keeping this up once the marathon is done. Not helped by the large hole in my knee where the cartilage used to be.

Yeah, the post-event lull is always a problem. Either have something in the diary to follow, or have some kind of plan to go into otherwise you just drift.

The debate at the moment is whether to sign up for the summer edition of the Fan Dance Race after doing the winter one. Would be doing it sans Mrs Q this time, so I'd be aiming to push for a time. Only problem is that it's the weekend after Glasto...

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I started cutting down carbs when I started intermittent fasting last May (which I still do). Was surprised that I could eat low carb at 7am, do cardio before work before eating low carb again at 1pm and still have plenty of energy. The good news is that after a while your appetite definitely reduces too.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I started cutting down carbs when I started intermittent fasting last May (which I still do). Was surprised that I could eat low carb at 7am, do cardio before work before eating low carb again at 1pm and still have plenty of energy. The good news is that after a while your appetite definitely reduces too.

Fasting I'd find even worse! :lol:

I've not really had cravings or anything like that to speak of. Friday nights are hardest, as that's normally a pizza or curry and choc hobnobs! But that aside it's fine, probably because the food I'm eating is stuff I like anyway.

Biggest surprise, and something I'd always mocked, is cauliflower rice / couscous. Actually does a really good job of giving you that base to work with.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've not really had cravings or anything like that to speak of. Friday nights are hardest, as that's normally a pizza or curry and choc hobnobs! But that aside it's fine, probably because the food I'm eating is stuff I like anyway.

Biggest surprise, and something I'd always mocked, is cauliflower rice / couscous. Actually does a really good job of giving you that base to work with.

Fasting is very good if you van do it! I've lost 1.5 stone in a year. I lost two pounds last week and I got pissed twice!

16 hours ago, Quark said:

Sorry, Quark, I'm sure you've explained this already, but are you doing a zero carb diet alongside a PT thing at the gym?

I try and do low carb.....but I'm even pretty shit at that, so no carbs sounds so hard. Would it even mean no couscous and no porridge oats? Like actually ZERO carbs?

And does it mean you've also stopped drinking? My approach to lose weight by not drinking until my thesis is submitted is absolutely not working. If anything, I'm drinking more and have just stopped having any chill out time (which tbf, I often find quite dull anyway)