Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

3 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I've struggled to find the motivation to get up at 5.50/6am for my morning runs over the past few weeks. Any tips for getting your running mojo back?

Always a challenge, especially early doors. Cut the length a smidge so it's not so daunting, make sure the route you've got planned is relatively pleasant or at least interesting. I always have my kit set out the night before so it's  laid out, coffee stuff in the kitchen all ready to go. Remove as many excuses as possible really. And sleep. So much to be said for getting your ass into bed early.

10 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Definitely want to get to bed earlier. Unfortunately my wife refuses to go before midnight every night!

Also think doing 3k instead of 5k might be a good idea; it will give me more time to get ready for work.

Any good podcast recommendations to listen to while running?

I like 'Off Menu' by James Acaster and Ed Gamble, or 'Films to be Buried With' by Brett Goldstein, or 'Marathon Talk'.

Currently slumped on the sofa recovering from a big one today - 20 miles in absolutely brutal winds this afternoon, one of the hardest runs I think I’ve ever done!! 

4 weeks left until Brighton Marathon, think I’m going to do my longest training run next weekend, 22 miles planned. Not looking forward to it after today!! 

First bike ride of the year today, 45km so hardly an epic but got my fat arse off the sofa. Motivation showing no signs of correcting itself so I've bitten the bullet and signed up for an 8 week PT course. Hoping that having a plan and spending money will force me to get some kind of pattern back

Disaster has struck! My friends have been offering to let us stay in their eco barn in Norfolk for free for ages and the only weekend they can do clashes with the Croydon half marathon! I protested but they booked us in anyway and would look a bit rude/ungrateful to cancel. On the plus side, I now don't have to run 13 and a bit miles for no apparent reason!

If anyone wants a free place, am happy to post on my race no, etc. Did it last year - nice, friendly run down out of a small club. 31st March.

https://www.nice-work.org.uk/races/CroydonHalf

We've been going to the gym more, for 3 months, and yesterday we both walked up the stairs at Scarborough instead of getting the lift, in fact loads of walking. The only thing I can't do is eat less and get streamlined for slipping through the crowds at the stages. And our sleep pattern is knackered so early mornings are killers, no pun intended.

14 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Is anyone else bloody sick to death of this wind?! Running in it isn’t fun and it seems to have been windy in the South West for about four weeks now, once the wind subsided and with my knee on the mend I can hopefully get back to enjoying my runs!

Yeah it's a massive pain in the arse, plus no matter what direction you run in it's always in your face!

19 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Is anyone else bloody sick to death of this wind?! Running in it isn’t fun and it seems to have been windy in the South West for about four weeks now, once the wind subsided and with my knee on the mend I can hopefully get back to enjoying my runs!

Yes, saying I'm sick of the wind basically all last week. 10k race last weekend - wind, rain, bit of hail, jeezs glad it was over. In the 47 minutes, so not unhappy about my time. Didn't think much of it beforehand, also because of my recent form. But now, roll on Spring!

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah it's a massive pain in the arse, plus no matter what direction you run in it's always in your face!

26 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Yes, saying I'm sick of the wind basically all last week. 10k race last weekend - wind, rain, bit of hail, jeezs glad it was over. In the 47 minutes, so not unhappy about my time. Didn't think much of it beforehand, also because of my recent form. But now, roll on Spring!

Glad it’s not just me then! The sooner the winds gone the better! Makes my runs so unenjoyable!

Hot chip have been added to my running playlist, they make a good addition. Physio has recommended basically keeping my knee permently strapped up with tape for 12-15 weeks, when my legs should be strong enough to prevent injury whilst running if I continue my exercises. To be honest they feel stronger already and running seems to be getting easier and more pain free by the day. Definitely back on track. This will be my “healthiest” Glastonbury yet based on the condition I’ll be arriving in ?

Started cycling again this week - been very perturbed by the recent wind and rain! Whilst I’m not up to going long distances yet (most I’ve ever done is a 32km ride one summer morning last year) felt that doing 2 x 12km and one 16km  over the past three days has made me feel better about myself.

Also been managing to walk up the local hill of death with the dog and managing to get up it without stopping!

78DBA37B-4551-4B21-96A4-3B32DF7BD976.jpeg

Fell off the wagon a bit the last two weeks after spending a week in Poland with work, but firmly back onto the crossfit and nutrition wagon now, just can't seem to drop any more weight (and i certainly need to) but am toning up, and I know musclke weighs more than fat but there;s certainly tons of fat to still go

I also started an 8 week Olympic lifting course on Monday to really drill technique

Which hopefully will all make Glastonbury easier

Completed my first ever ultra yesterday. 

Lulworth Cove Ultra.

52k.

2000m+ / 7000ft+ elevation.

179 entrants. 

135 finishers. 

Scraped in at 117th in 9hrs 08mins. 

Contrived to get lost for 30 minutes before the second checkpoint too! Typical. 

Felt like 40% running, 60% mountain hiking.

Lots of these, one after another...

78D6E0F7-0320-465A-918D-96865907B851.jpeg

• Upvote 8

Epic work Woffster. Cap duly doffed.

Currently sat working out my meal plans for the coming week to fit in with the guidelines from my PT. I'm so used to just eating a balanced diet that adjusting it all to fit set macros, even for 6 weeks, is a royal pain the arse.

Going to be the hardest part, no issues with beating myself on fitness but it's the consistency and dedication of diet that's the real bastard.

Just now, Quark said:

Currently sat working out my meal plans for the coming week to fit in with the guidelines from my PT. I'm so used to just eating a balanced diet that adjusting it all to fit set macros, even for 6 weeks, is a royal pain the arse.

Going to be the hardest part, no issues with beating myself on fitness but it's the consistency and dedication of diet that's the real bastard.

Cheers dude. 

I’ve eaten sensibly but ‘normally’ since 01 Jan. Haven’t changed too much lifestyle-wise (other than running loads).

I guess it’s a very personal thing about what’s right for you.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Do you have my fitness pal? It’s amaxing for tracking macros and calories.

11 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Cheers dude. 

I’ve eaten sensibly but ‘normally’ since 01 Jan. Haven’t changed too much lifestyle-wise (other than running loads).

I guess it’s a very personal thing about what’s right for you.

Yeah very much so.  There's no way I'd want to maintain this for any longer than a short burst. Reminds me of when I went with a proper bodybuilding diet plan years ago; results were undeniable but I couldn't last more than 2 weeks on it.  I have a lot of respect for people with the self control and motivation to control their food intake to this level of detail as a lifestyle as opposed to a short term plan.

Biggest challenge for me is the meat intake, as his plan has a v. high protein content but also aims to cut out soya and dairy.  We've spent so long being 90% veggie that to up my intake is causing me some real issues.  Working with him to figure out how to balance it, but genuinely don't know how long I want to maintain this.  Get the feeling we're going to have to meet in the middle and accept soya so I can get my supplements back up and stuff my face with tofu :D

8 minutes ago, Divein said:

Do you have my fitness pal? It’s amaxing for tracking macros and calories.

I do, it's just planning out for the week ahead to get the macro balance right that's the challenge. MFP is certainly making it easier, but it's still a ballache.  Going to be 6 weeks of eating very similar meals :)

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Update- so long as I keep the macros right there's no issue with tofu, lentils, chickpeas etc so we can make it work. Happier Quark :)

Tofu is great :) My attempting to be healthy by eating salad at lunch does so much better now that I've discovered the joys of marinated tofu, which keeps me full and prevents me needing a second lunch by 3pm