Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Well that’s a funny story pal... Mrs Jass and I arrived in nearby Seaford Saturday afternoon to drop Baby Jass off with her grandparents. The plan was to get the bus into Brighton, check into the hotel, go to a boring restaurant like Bella Italia for a sensible, if dull and sober, pasta based meal then head back to the room and get an early night ahead of the race...

Whilst on the bus we were both lamenting the fact that we never get any time to go crazy these days and how much it sucks that we actually have a babysitter and hotel room but are being lame.

You can guess what happened next...

Run sacked off and absolutely mega bender went on instead. Still feeling it now. Totally worth it.

Doing the London Big Half in a couple of weeks which should get me back on track.

In between bouts of nausea yesterday morning I still wished I was doing it.

Haha this is a brilliant story. I hope the grandparents didn’t mind and I hope you made the most of it!

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Well that’s a funny story pal... Mrs Jass and I arrived in nearby Seaford Saturday afternoon to drop Baby Jass off with her grandparents. The plan was to get the bus into Brighton, check into the hotel, go to a boring restaurant like Bella Italia for a sensible, if dull and sober, pasta based meal then head back to the room and get an early night ahead of the race...

Whilst on the bus we were both lamenting the fact that we never get any time to go crazy these days and how much it sucks that we actually have a babysitter and hotel room but are being lame.

You can guess what happened next...

Run sacked off and absolutely mega bender went on instead. Still feeling it now. Totally worth it.

Doing the London Big Half in a couple of weeks which should get me back on track.

In between bouts of nausea yesterday morning I still wished I was doing it.

Not sure whether I should upvote or maybe even downvote in the spirit of this topic :P I'm younger without kids, so harder to understand for me. But everybody needs a time of his life every once in a while to keep on living. 

I'm expecting full commitment now for the Big Half! Doing a 10k in three weeks myself. Was on track for a PB but minor discomfort set me back a bit. Had a nice run as well yesterday with new shoes; easy 10k in 52 minutes. The sunshine was the hardest part.

I’ve just been for a run for the first time since Glasto 2017 (found out I was preggers 4 days after we got home). Good news is that I’m not quite as unfit as I had feared (managed 3.5k!!) although I’m still nowhere near fit enough for proper enjoyment of Glastonbury. Luckily there’s still 17 weeks to at least try and rectify the situation, the hardest part is going to be trying to find the time to keep the momentum going whilst also trying to work and look after the baby and keep up with family and social life ?.

@Hugh Jass you and Mrs Jass made the right choice! Life with a baby is hard, gotta take your opportunities for hard liquor and dancing where you can! 

Fitness for Glasto been somewhat derailed. I'm away for work for three weeks in sunnier climes, and the heat and humidity are unreal. Went to the fitness suite in the hotel at 6.30am and the heat cut through the a/c within about four minutes. Might go back tomorrow for weights but not sure I'm brave/stupid/committed enough to risk death by jogging in a sauna again.

Ah well, fortunately it's too hot to eat so as long as I don't sink five kili beers a night I guess it's not the end of the world. Definitely running out of time to acquire a Kylie Minogue-esque bum for Glasto, but that was always a mega long shot 

36 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Fitness for Glasto been somewhat derailed. I'm away for work for three weeks in sunnier climes, and the heat and humidity are unreal. Went to the fitness suite in the hotel at 6.30am and the heat cut through the a/c within about four minutes. Might go back tomorrow for weights but not sure I'm brave/stupid/committed enough to risk death by jogging in a sauna again.

Ah well, fortunately it's too hot to eat so as long as I don't sink five kili beers a night I guess it's not the end of the world. Definitely running out of time to acquire a Kylie Minogue-esque bum for Glasto, but that was always a mega long shot 

There's always Glasto 2020.

47 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

At least you are doing some weather related acclimatisation in preparation for the sunshine in June 

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Definitely running out of time to acquire a Kylie Minogue-esque bum for Glasto

40 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

There's always Glasto 2020.

Glasto 2020 is all about Noel Gallagher & the High Flying Birds bums. Apparently. 

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

At least you are doing some weather related acclimatisation in preparation for the sunshine in June 

Haha! Jeez....imagine the pyramid in this heat! Would have to be hiding up by the Stone Dragon for most of the day - saving the partying for the night time but unable to sleep in tent sweat boxed during the day. We'd be even more like dehydrated, intoxicated zombies than we are usually 

Well after a quiet couple of weeks due to illness I got back to it last night with 10k on the treadmill.

It's my 30th tomorrow and have booked the day off so with the weather looking lovely i'm going to celebrate with a lovely 13mile plod along a local cycle path.

Intend on buying a road bike in the next week or so and then enter a duathlon mid March with my goal of completing a triathlon in May.

Also looking at buying some new running shoes. Bought some brooks not long ago but can't get on with them at all. Has anyone tried Hoka's? Any recommendations? 

@JoeyT love the cake - hats off to you for your half marathon yesterday.

After having a year off playing football I've started to get back into running in prep for June. Aiming to do 3/4 5K's each week including parkrun every Saturday with the aim of slowly building up to 10k by Glasto. 

Legs were in bits by Sunday of Glasto 17 - determined to feel better for this years.

I’m now in my third week of couch to 5k and I won’t bore you with the stats.... but I’m totally loving it. By chance, my 21 year old daughter started the same week as me so I can’t gve up before her. 

I’m loving running through the woods and I am surrounded by hills so I’m naturally running up and down hilly woodland a lot. 

Also doing HIIT and stretch classes and gymnastics weekly. 

Its good to balance out the mostly static desk job. 

So I'm heading back to the UK tonight after a particularly epic work trip, where I've mostly overloaded on curry/burgers/all the seafood  up to three times a day (and sometimes beer). The humidity also meant that I did not make a lot of use of the fitness centre....So, Sunday I'm getting back on it (allowing Saturday off to claim to have jetlag despite it only being a 3 hour time difference and watch rugby) - going climbing in the evening and I've booked spinning for 7.15am Monday morning.....let's do this!

A little over 15 weeks left!!! And only 11 until I'm supposed to be going to Ibiza (where I'm arguably a lot less likely to be bundled up under a hoodie). As my new job starts on the 3rd June, I also really need to basically have my thesis finished by then. I'm therefore considering giving up the sauce too.... but I need to think about that tomorrow

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Did the Big London Half this morning and set a new PB - 1 hour 57 mins.

Given the absolutely horrific weather conditions I’m pretty pleased with that.

Great work mate. PB's are a sure fire way to brighten the day.

Did the longleat 10km this morning in a time of 50:43. I'd heard it was hilly but sweet lord it was something else. 

Niggling knee injury but managed a 10k on the treadmill today. Normally do the Liverpool half marathon today but didnt sign up for it. Need to push on now and drop a few pounds as well. Need to cut that dreaded booze down. No matter how fit I get Glastonbury has and always will have had me by Sunday evening.