Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

28 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Ah...... thanks so much. I may do that anyway for giggles... but today I got some trail running shoes that were a) the most comfortable ones I tried on 2) affordable c) not stupid looking. 

So now I’ve got an app and some new running shoes. No big barriers left eh?

worms dont need shoes ... this might be because you are in fact a centipede ... well scrap that you would need more than one pair :) 

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

Ah...... thanks so much. I may do that anyway for giggles... but today I got some trail running shoes that were a) the most comfortable ones I tried on 2) affordable c) not stupid looking. 

So now I’ve got an app and some new running shoes. No big barriers left eh?

Trail shoes a fairly sensible choice as they're often midway between neutral and motion control so for a start off point, they'll do! You've cracked it now!

Quick update from me; continuing to get out running at least 3 times a week, weather's started to ease up a bit over here, most of the snow and ice has disappeared and temperatures are much milder. Prior to that I was having to run with ice grips on my trainers which are great for keeping you on your feet but not so great for my knees, enjoying being able to run just with trainers again. 

In terms of distances I'm tending to stick to one longer run (around 10k) and two shorter (5k to 7k) per week but I've seen my pace improving, particularly since the pavements have cleared. Last week I did 10k in 56 minutes which is a training PB.

Weight loss has slowed but I'm just guilty of over-indulging at the weekends and I think I've now lost all the 'easy weight'. Need to exercise a bit more self control on the beers and cheese.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Quick update from me; continuing to get out running at least 3 times a week, weather's started to ease up a bit over here, most of the snow and ice has disappeared and temperatures are much milder. Prior to that I was having to run with ice grips on my trainers which are great for keeping you on your feet but not so great for my knees, enjoying being able to run just with trainers again. 

In terms of distances I'm tending to stick to one longer run (around 10k) and two shorter (5k to 7k) per week but I've seen my pace improving, particularly since the pavements have cleared. Last week I did 10k in 56 minutes which is a training PB.

Weight loss has slowed but I'm just guilty of over-indulging at the weekends and I think I've now lost all the 'easy weight'. Need to exercise a bit more self control on the beers and cheese.

Just think of the over indulging as training as well, winner winner! 

12 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Just think of the over indulging as training as well, winner winner! 

True. Last thing I want is to get to Glastonbury then hit the cheese sweats after my first Anna Mae's of the weekend like some kinda amateur. 

New weekly routine......  to be fair, I’ve been doing this gymnastic training for a few years apart from the running. That’s the new part.

Monday: Gymnastic Strength Training. 

Tuesday: Stretch and Core Gymnastics 

Wednesday: Run 

Thursday: HIIT

Friday: Run

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Gymnastic Strength and run. 

If anyone lives near Stroud or Gloucester then I highly recommend looking into FORMA GST.

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Don't want to come across like I'm mansplaining or anything like that but 100kg for a woman is really good. I know a lot of people, men included who struggle with that. Nice work! 

ha ha you didn;t come across as that :-), and thank you .... only really just geting into weights the last 6 months  , olympic lifting and powerlifting and actually loving it so much .... the thought of benchpressing 100kg terrifies me. Snatches (gaffaw gaffaw) at 30kg last night and I was a wobbling !. The challenge for me at the moment is to keep decresing my actual weight (2.5 stone gone) but no decrease in weights perfomance .... its all such interesting stuff

I've managed to lose 8-10lbs since the start of the year but still aiming to drop another 15-20lbs. Not necessarily by the time Glastonbury comes around but we'll see - I've managed it before!

Mainly just been doing 20-30 minutes on an exercise bike, limiting calorie intake to about 1300 during the week and then indulging in whatever I want to at the weekends. Bit bored of the routine though and already feel like I'm starting to plateau in terms of weight loss. 

Played football for only the 2nd time in 7 years on Monday night due to an old knee injury and boy do I ache now! I think I'm going to start couch to 5k next week and continue to do the bike on the days that I'm not running.

Just have to see how it goes!

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, CJTM said:

Probably a long shot but does anyone know if it's possible transfer data from Nike Running Club app onto Strava?

Try RunGap - I think there is a small amount to pay but it works well for me with Apple Watch to Strava transfer. 

ive lost almost 3 stone since last may gone from 14 stone and very unfit to 11.5 and aiming to get to 11 as thats my target however im also building strength so dont know how thatll work out as muscle heavier then fat anyway i may actually end up gaining some more weight lol.

Was doing really well up to about December time but then winter hit and killed my mojo a bit, im only now picking stuff back up again after a couple months with barely a run and sporadic gym sessions, feeling good last couple of weeks though which is much needed, 2 things ive learnt.....I dont want to go back to how I was and I need fitness now to feel good, its no coincidence ive been a bit down again when I havnt been working out so much.....hoping to be stronger and fitter by glasto time, got a half marathon to run in may so will be training hard for that the couple months before (shit thats next month onwards! :P) so hopefully will be keeping it going.

Just got to fix my diet now as thats gone to shit over winter as well ?

Hard to understand the why of all that weightlifting, but it's probably the same as with running :P Plenty of people won't understand the mileage. I'm weak in the arms, but can't commit to the extra exercise on top of the running/track training.

Had to deal with minor injury last week, still there yesterday, can only run really slow (by my book, still fast enough for others). Bought new shoes today, hopefully that will solve the problem. Was planning to buy a pair next month, but it was clear they needed replacement. Really hope it helps, always feel bad when I can't train properly.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:50 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Doing the Brighton Half on Sunday.

(BUMP)

How did you get on, dude?

I'm still plodding away towards my 50k.

Did a really pleasant - but v.hilly - 18 mile trail run on Saturday, in absolutely gorgeous weather.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

(BUMP)

How did you get on, dude?

Well that’s a funny story pal... Mrs Jass and I arrived in nearby Seaford Saturday afternoon to drop Baby Jass off with her grandparents. The plan was to get the bus into Brighton, check into the hotel, go to a boring restaurant like Bella Italia for a sensible, if dull and sober, pasta based meal then head back to the room and get an early night ahead of the race...

Whilst on the bus we were both lamenting the fact that we never get any time to go crazy these days and how much it sucks that we actually have a babysitter and hotel room but are being lame.

You can guess what happened next...

Run sacked off and absolutely mega bender went on instead. Still feeling it now. Totally worth it.

Doing the London Big Half in a couple of weeks which should get me back on track.

In between bouts of nausea yesterday morning I still wished I was doing it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 2/20/2019 at 6:00 PM, waterfalls212434 said:

ive lost almost 3 stone since last may gone from 14 stone and very unfit to 11.5 and aiming to get to 11 as thats my target however im also building strength so dont know how thatll work out as muscle heavier then fat anyway i may actually end up gaining some more weight lol.

Was doing really well up to about December time but then winter hit and killed my mojo a bit, im only now picking stuff back up again after a couple months with barely a run and sporadic gym sessions, feeling good last couple of weeks though which is much needed, 2 things ive learnt.....I dont want to go back to how I was and I need fitness now to feel good, its no coincidence ive been a bit down again when I havnt been working out so much.....hoping to be stronger and fitter by glasto time, got a half marathon to run in may so will be training hard for that the couple months before (shit thats next month onwards! :P) so hopefully will be keeping it going.

Just got to fix my diet now as thats gone to shit over winter as well ?

DO you mind if I asked how you did this? Especially how to get started

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Well that’s a funny story pal... Mrs Jass and I arrived in nearby Seaford Saturday afternoon to drop Baby Jass off with her grandparents. The plan was to get the bus into Brighton, check into the hotel, go to a boring restaurant like Bella Italia for a sensible, if dull and sober, pasta based meal then head back to the room and get an early night ahead of the race...

Whilst on the bus we were both lamenting the fact that we never get any time to go crazy these days and how much it sucks that we actually have a babysitter and hotel room but are being lame.

You can guess what happened next...

Run sacked off and absolutely mega bender went on instead. Still feeling it now. Totally worth it.

Doing the London Big Half in a couple of weeks which should get me back on track.

In between bouts of nausea yesterday morning I still wished I was doing it.

This is absolutely fantastic!

Terrific effort!

My hearty congratulations at an opportunity (and numerous drinks) grasped with both hands.

Fair play dude :rofl: