Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

1 minute ago, ian the worm said:

Any starting to run advice appreciated?  Do I need decent trainers for a  quick 15 min run?  Or will my 10 year old £10ones do??

I'd say it depends on what you want to do, a pair of ten year old cheap trainers aren't going to offer much in terms of support. They might be ok for the odd 15 minutes, but if you want to run more regularly or go further in terms of time or distance I'd recommend getting a new pair, otherwise you could end up doing yourself an injury.

23 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

First time poster. I’ve started HIIT and during this my goal is to be much fitter for this years festival. I’ve been going a few months and already my cardio is much better. 

I even want to start running and have had it on my weekend job list for the last 3 weeks. But snow, rain and anything else keeps getting in the way. 

Any starting to run advice appreciated?  Do I need decent trainers for a  quick 15 min run?  Or will my 10 year old £10ones do??

I’m also wanting to loose 5kg but I’d be happy with 3 or 4. Just putting in writing here will probably be enough to get me going. 

Couch 2 5k app is always a great intro to building up your running. Started a few people this way and they have all found it a perfect training program.

as for trainers. They’ll be ok to start I reckon but if you find your shins hurt then get yourself down to a sports shop sharpish. I think shoes are THE most important extra for running. Shorts, t shirts etc can be as cheap as chips but your knees, hips etc will thank you for good shoes if you intend on running regularly.

Good luck... I hope you get the bug.

Occurred to me the other day that I've got six weeks until the half marathon that In signed up for ages ago! Ran 5k yesterday morning faster than I have for five years - 26 and a half mins (I'm 42). Shifting some weight has obviously made a difference.

Reckon I'm on course to make the distance.

Hey

Thought I'd come on here to report fitness still ongoing, still hitting crossfit 4 times a week and improving all the time.... but flipping weight loss has stopped. I've lost 2 stone but its now sssooooo slow its driving me mad and the slightest 'bad ' day/weekend and I'm back up again with another week to get back where I was . I'm counting calories and macros (1300 calories a day ) and defo changing shape slightly but just can;t seem to shift it , with 4 months to go I'd really like to shift another 1.5 stone but bearing in mind it took me a year to shif the first 2 don;t think thats likely

anyway back to my egg white and turkey mince omlette and enough grumbling from me :-)

Take care all

FFxx

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Couch 2 5k app is always a great intro to building up your running. Started a few people this way and they have all found it a perfect training program.

as for trainers. They’ll be ok to start I reckon but if you find your shins hurt then get yourself down to a sports shop sharpish. I think shoes are THE most important extra for running. Shorts, t shirts etc can be as cheap as chips but your knees, hips etc will thank you for good shoes if you intend on running regularly.

Good luck... I hope you get the bug.

Just to echo what everyone else is saying, you'll most likely need proper trainers if you start to do it regularly or the chances of weird aches and pains appearing are much higher. I started running when I gave up smoking. Had expensive nike trainers that said they were for running.... Started getting pains up the sides of my legs not long after. had no idea about "gait" or anything like that!

Went to a running shop where you go on a treadmill and jog and they film you and you see how your feet/legs go when you run. And they match shoes to you from that. Weren't cheap but they do last! No more lower leg pain!

Update: I played my first 5 a side match last night in about a year and was out of breath in the first 5 minutes (it went on for 1 hour 20). Thoroughly enjoyed it though, and I don't think I was as bad as I expected myself to be.

I think a weekly 5 a side match should get me up to speed by the time June rolls round.

I'm just about to start a bout of weight training as well.

Edited by The Placid Casual

9 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Hey

Thought I'd come on here to report fitness still ongoing, still hitting crossfit 4 times a week and improving all the time.... but flipping weight loss has stopped. I've lost 2 stone but its now sssooooo slow its driving me mad and the slightest 'bad ' day/weekend and I'm back up again with another week to get back where I was . I'm counting calories and macros (1300 calories a day ) and defo changing shape slightly but just can;t seem to shift it , with 4 months to go I'd really like to shift another 1.5 stone but bearing in mind it took me a year to shif the first 2 don;t think thats likely

anyway back to my egg white and turkey mince omlette and enough grumbling from me ?

Take care all

FFxx

Is there anywhere near you or at cross fit which can do a bio print type thing which will measure your body fat % as this will probably be  a better indicator. If you're doing cross fit 4 times a week then you'll be building a lot of muscle which will slow the scales down, as your burning fat but putting on muscle. 

Also what percentage deficit is 1300 calories based on? 

You could also try a 1 or 2 high impact cardio sessions a week, as a way to stop your body getting use to just doing cross fit.

Back on it after christmas and a trip to Sri Lanka in January. I'm clocking in around 14 stone and have a goal to try and reach 13 (I've not been that weight since I was around 14 I reckon, 28 years ago!!). Running, weight training and HIIT will be my methods. I'm fairly motivated to get to the gym 5 times a week but not to stop eating crap at weekends.

21 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Thought I'd come on here to report fitness still ongoing, still hitting crossfit 4 times a week and improving all the time.... but flipping weight loss has stopped.

Really keen to hear your thoughts on Crossfit, Funkyfairy. It appeals to me but I find it very intimidating. I'm reasonably fit, but not particularly strong. I'd been browsing the sort of workouts that they do and I found one which included 100 Push-Ups as part of the routine! Being able to manage about 4 (and that was after putting a bar up in the kitchen and practicing negatives for weeks on end), I've absolutely no chance of managing 100!! Is everyone there ultra fit?

I've also heard that they can be fairly cliquey. 

9 minutes ago, Divein said:

Is there anywhere near you or at cross fit which can do a bio print type thing which will measure your body fat % as this will probably be  a better indicator. If you're doing cross fit 4 times a week then you'll be building a lot of muscle which will slow the scales down, as your burning fat but putting on muscle. 

Also what percentage deficit is 1300 calories based on? 

You could also try a 1 or 2 high impact cardio sessions a week, as a way to stop your body getting use to just doing cross fit.

oo thanks Divein

I have no idea what deficit this puts me in ... mmmm maybe I need to find this out , and I'll look for somwhere that does body fat analysis - good point, defo toning up and building muscle even though you can;t really see the muscle under the layer of fat that still exists

Crossfit sessions at our gym vary between full on cardio for 30-45 mins - to weightlifting- to a mixture - including sessions with runs /burpees / box jumps etc ..... what else high impact could you suggest please ? Maybe I need to up the cardio sessions, but I can't breathe after most of the cf sessions lol

Thanks for answering

FFxx 

10 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Back on it after christmas and a trip to Sri Lanka in January. I'm clocking in around 14 stone and have a goal to try and reach 13 (I've not been that weight since I was around 14 I reckon, 28 years ago!!). Running, weight training and HIIT will be my methods. I'm fairly motivated to get to the gym 5 times a week but not to stop eating crap at weekends.

Really keen to hear your thoughts on Crossfit, Funkyfairy. It appeals to me but I find it very intimidating. I'm reasonably fit, but not particularly strong. I'd been browsing the sort of workouts that they do and I found one which included 100 Push-Ups as part of the routine! Being able to manage about 4 (and that was after putting a bar up in the kitchen and practicing negatives for weeks on end), I've absolutely no chance of managing 100!! Is everyone there ultra fit?

I've also heard that they can be fairly cliquey. 

@Badlands I absolutely love it, yes there are loads of preconceptions about it, so let me try to quash some

I couldn;t and still can't do most (ok all)  of the workouts as the are prescribed in full, and to be fair neither can 75% of people... BUT everything it totally scalable. So a good gym (or box as they are known) will tell you what the full workout is and then give scale 1,2,3,4 options and keep scaling until everyone can do a workout. Its only initimdating for the first couple of sessions as its a different language, but all gyms should do a compulsary induction to learn the movements and talk about how things work

So 100 push ups at the beginning of the workout - can be done in set on 100, 10 or 1 at a time, can be scaled back to on knees, or start on full adn them move to knees or do 50 push ups all on knees... totally and utterly up to the person doing the workout (as in you) - pull ups can be scaled to pull ups using a band around your knees (and there are various colour bands that assist) or ring rows which can be standing nearly upright or virtually horizontal depending on how strong you are at the time

No no no not everyone is ultra fit, yes there are the ultra fit there but most people are very very normal all trying to get a good quick workout in thats always differs and challenges you - it never gets easy as you always improve

So as for  cliquey - like anywhere there are cliques I am sure if people go to the same class every day... but the whole purpose of cf is that everyone congratulates everyone and it doesn;t matter about ability and they should be a community and not cliquey....  I have found no cliques at all, and if there are then I don;t see them

There;s too much cf bashing, (imo) , I suprise myself every day there, and I see improvements every day - and its my own personal battle not anyone elses...... I love it, the sense of achievement it gives me and this old dog is being taught new tricks ever day :-)

Give it a go, walk in and have a chat and see what you think - for me I love it , I love the extra powerlifting and olympic lifting classes I go to, and I never thought I'd say that  it ticks my boxes :-)

16 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

oo thanks Divein

I have no idea what deficit this puts me in ... mmmm maybe I need to find this out , and I'll look for somwhere that does body fat analysis - good point, defo toning up and building muscle even though you can;t really see the muscle under the layer of fat that still exists

Crossfit sessions at our gym vary between full on cardio for 30-45 mins - to weightlifting- to a mixture - including sessions with runs /burpees / box jumps etc ..... what else high impact could you suggest please ? Maybe I need to up the cardio sessions, but I can't breathe after most of the cf sessions lol

Thanks for answering

FFxx 

I forgot to add as well, if you can your bios done, have you taken any body measurements or any before photos. Often these can be better indicators of your progress. At the minute the scales for me are slow so Im using my measurements and just going off what I see in the mirror and what people are telling me.

In terms of calorie deficit, the 1300 you mentioned do you just work that out on the basis of the average female needing 2000 a day? 

Before I embarked on my 12 week boot camp, I used tdeecalculator.net, this works out how many calories a day your body needs to sustain itself. So with me, I put in I was doing moderate exercise, with my other details and it kicked out mine at around 3500 calories a day. From that, I took 30% off and that was my calorie goal a day, which puts you in a calorie deficit.

Currently I do about 2300 calories a day. With 40% protein, 30% carbs (although I keep carbs lower) 30% fat and track everything with my fitness pal. If youre training 4 times a week then you should be eating 2g of protein per 1KG of BW a day or about 1.5g I think for females.

1300 cals a day seems very low, which, if you aren’t getting the energy in your body to sustain 4 CF sessions a week then you could be in big trouble and also if your energy is low this is the reason.

If youre happy with what you do at CF then you might not need more high impact stuff, but maybe look at running, hill sprints, HIIT or spinning maybe.

On this bootcamp I do cave training 5 times a week and then go for a run on my 2 rest days, as that’s what we have been told to do.

Apologies if that’s complicated or im teaching you how to suck eggs, if anyone wants to PM me about any of this stuff then im happy to help.

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

@Badlands I absolutely love it, yes there are loads of preconceptions about it, so let me try to quash some

I couldn;t and still can't do most (ok all)  of the workouts as the are prescribed in full, and to be fair neither can 75% of people... BUT everything it totally scalable. So a good gym (or box as they are known) will tell you what the full workout is and then give scale 1,2,3,4 options and keep scaling until everyone can do a workout. Its only initimdating for the first couple of sessions as its a different language, but all gyms should do a compulsary induction to learn the movements and talk about how things work

So 100 push ups at the beginning of the workout - can be done in set on 100, 10 or 1 at a time, can be scaled back to on knees, or start on full adn them move to knees or do 50 push ups all on knees... totally and utterly up to the person doing the workout (as in you) - pull ups can be scaled to pull ups using a band around your knees (and there are various colour bands that assist) or ring rows which can be standing nearly upright or virtually horizontal depending on how strong you are at the time

No no no not everyone is ultra fit, yes there are the ultra fit there but most people are very very normal all trying to get a good quick workout in thats always differs and challenges you - it never gets easy as you always improve

So as for  cliquey - like anywhere there are cliques I am sure if people go to the same class every day... but the whole purpose of cf is that everyone congratulates everyone and it doesn;t matter about ability and they should be a community and not cliquey....  I have found no cliques at all, and if there are then I don;t see them

There;s too much cf bashing, (imo) , I suprise myself every day there, and I see improvements every day - and its my own personal battle not anyone elses...... I love it, the sense of achievement it gives me and this old dog is being taught new tricks ever day :-)

Give it a go, walk in and have a chat and see what you think - for me I love it , I love the extra powerlifting and olympic lifting classes I go to, and I never thought I'd say that  it ticks my boxes :-)

Thanks for the comprehensive response. I wasn't aware of the scalable aspect to it, totally makes sense. Though, how anyone can manage 100 pull-ups (not push-ups which I'd referred to mistakingly in my last post) is beyond me.

Gonna have a look now and see if there's one near me.

And congratulations on all the weight loss!!

3 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

Update: I played my first 5 a side match last night in about a year and was out of breath in the first 5 minutes (it went on for 1 hour 20). Thoroughly enjoyed it though, and I don't think I was as bad as I expected myself to be.

I think a weekly 5 a side match should get me up to speed by the time June rolls round.

I'm just about to start a bout of weight training as well.

5 a side is absolutely knackering to be fair, more so than 11 

4 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Thanks. 

Update..... I now have the app and have just done my first run in 32 years.

A1FCC320-3D31-41D8-ACE1-CC177B14CBFF.jpeg.357003768dcc62e50d41c323317fbc5f.jpeg

Definitely need new trainers. 

2 hours ago, Divein said:

I forgot to add as well, if you can your bios done, have you taken any body measurements or any before photos. Often these can be better indicators of your progress. At the minute the scales for me are slow so Im using my measurements and just going off what I see in the mirror and what people are telling me.

In terms of calorie deficit, the 1300 you mentioned do you just work that out on the basis of the average female needing 2000 a day? 

Before I embarked on my 12 week boot camp, I used tdeecalculator.net, this works out how many calories a day your body needs to sustain itself. So with me, I put in I was doing moderate exercise, with my other details and it kicked out mine at around 3500 calories a day. From that, I took 30% off and that was my calorie goal a day, which puts you in a calorie deficit.

Currently I do about 2300 calories a day. With 40% protein, 30% carbs (although I keep carbs lower) 30% fat and track everything with my fitness pal. If youre training 4 times a week then you should be eating 2g of protein per 1KG of BW a day or about 1.5g I think for females.

1300 cals a day seems very low, which, if you aren’t getting the energy in your body to sustain 4 CF sessions a week then you could be in big trouble and also if your energy is low this is the reason.

If youre happy with what you do at CF then you might not need more high impact stuff, but maybe look at running, hill sprints, HIIT or spinning maybe.

On this bootcamp I do cave training 5 times a week and then go for a run on my 2 rest days, as that’s what we have been told to do.

Apologies if that’s complicated or im teaching you how to suck eggs, if anyone wants to PM me about any of this stuff then im happy to help.

Yes taken photos and measurements and they are certainly changing - (not as fast as I'd like but certainly changing). I actually had/have nutritional support at the moment to try to get my calories/macros right to train and to lose at the same time, so we've reduced to 1300 over a period of time (and nope still not moving) and this week its 110 carbs, 40F and 125 Protien  or 110 carbs 45 fat and 115 protein ... an no energy not low, in fact quite the opposite so I seem to have enough energy

yeah may need t look to run a few times a week (and I hate running) - so thats a great idea, to be fair its taken me too many years to get this far and finally found somethng I like so 2 nights a week going for a job won;t hurt me (yuk)

Great chat thanks :-)

2 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Thanks. 

Update..... I now have the app and have just done my first run in 32 years.

A1FCC320-3D31-41D8-ACE1-CC177B14CBFF.jpeg.357003768dcc62e50d41c323317fbc5f.jpeg

Definitely need new trainers. 

Yay.....it’s all downhill from now on....oh hang on, that’s not true. It won’t be Ian the Worm, it’ll soon be Ian the racehorse

i was going to say Ian the racing snake but I have a feeling that might have other connotations 

2 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Yay.....it’s all downhill from now on....oh hang on, that’s not true. It won’t be Ian the Worm, it’ll soon be Ian the racehorse

i was going to say Ian the racing snake but I have a feeling that might have other connotations 

Ian the worm that now has a running app?

12 hours ago, Homer said:

Occurred to me the other day that I've got six weeks until the half marathon that In signed up for ages ago! Ran 5k yesterday morning faster than I have for five years - 26 and a half mins (I'm 42). Shifting some weight has obviously made a difference.

Reckon I'm on course to make the distance.

I believe in you man.

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, ian the worm said:

Get your feet wet, stand on a tile floor/paving stone and photo the footprint so I can see your arches. Send me your foot size and I'll link you to something good. If you get serious then visit your local running store.

41 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Get your feet wet, stand on a tile floor/paving stone and photo the footprint so I can see your arches. Send me your foot size and I'll link you to something good. If you get serious then visit your local running store.

Ah...... thanks so much. I may do that anyway for giggles... but today I got some trail running shoes that were a) the most comfortable ones I tried on 2) affordable c) not stupid looking. 

So now I’ve got an app and some new running shoes. No big barriers left eh?