Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Walking the West Highland Way in early May, and just signed up for a charity marathon in early June - so I’ll have thighs and buns of steel by the time glastonbury rocks up. 

Unfortunately I’ll be very well versed in eating humongous anounts of carbs too ??

What’s unfortunate about that? One of life’s greatest pleasures is a massive plate of carbonara

On 1/14/2019 at 10:35 PM, zero000 said:

Foolishly committed to a half marathon in October. I've never run more than 5k before, hoping to get my fitness up in time for Glastonbury and lose a couple of kilos while I'm at it. Can anyone recommend a good training schedule to follow?

Runners World have good training plans on their website for all distances.

27 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

What’s unfortunate about that? One of life’s greatest pleasures is a massive plate of carbonara

Well, the vague idea that lots of exercise should result in me shifting some gut, only all that calorific deficit tends to end in double dinner cos I’m a greedy bastard! 

• Upvote 1

So runners can you help.

As some may have read I am trying to start running this year and get fitter

Having a dry Jan and Feb, cutting out most read meat and processed food and getting heavily into my fermented food and drinks to get my microbial biomes flourishing. That part is covered

Went to a running clinic yesterday and spoke with the sports podiatrist. Loads of tests on the way I walk run etc, all really interesting. He came back with a few pairs of trainers that would suit me and one pair stood out after running up and down the road. So he has sent what they are - Hoka, Clifton. Now in the shop they were £103 but I see on line they can be much less but they all say 4 or 5 after the Clifton which I get is the next version, but and her is my questions

1. Are they all roughly the same?

2. He gave me the width as well but online stores do not seem to do that, that normal?

Happy to go back as he is not really linked to the shop but thought I would reach out to you fit beautiful freaks

you can use sites like runrepeat (https://runrepeat.com/) to get a review of shoes and opinion on features both good and bad. Sometimes a change from 4 to 5 is minor and involves colours, sometimes it is more fundamental.  The clifton 4 to 5 change is given on one site as:

The Clifton 5's midsole and outsole are identical to the 4, and while the upper has changed a little it really doesn't effect the overall feel of the shoe. ... Hoka Clifton 5 vs Clifton 4: The only change with the 5 is that Hoka has greatly reduced the overlays and increased the breath-ability of the upper.

Width can be important, some shoes come up narrow and some have a huge toe box, do some research and you should be able to find out. 

Fred: good luck with your start to running. I’ve not used Hokas but know quite a few who have and they seem a bit different to the majority of shoes. Most comments were around the height of them. Make sure your 100% happy before you commit. 

Finaly back doing some regular miles after a long injury break. Managed 58 miles this week finishing with 15 this morning. Hopefully be ok to start a short 12 week schedule for London in a couple of weeks. Lost a couple of pounds too so things looking up a bit ?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just ran 14.25 miles, which is the furthest I’ve ever gone. Christ knows where I’m going to find another 12 though.

Need to start thinking about fuelling. I can run a half without really having to worry about it, however as soon as I got past 13 tonight I crashed hard. 

I used to take a running belt on longer runs handy for a drink, keys etc and also to stash some jelly babies for much needed energy. Found running gels too sickly and messy to deal with.

Up to 8 miles running today (Recovering from injury in early Nov) and have walked 38 miles in the last 7 days so getting there. Need to drop a few (well quite a few) pounds no.

Edited by faymondo
correction

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just ran 14.25 miles, which is the furthest I’ve ever gone. Christ knows where I’m going to find another 12 though.

Need to start thinking about fuelling. I can run a half without really having to worry about it, however as soon as I got past 13 tonight I crashed hard. 

Don't worry too much. Get a few more longer runs under you belt and they'll be like shelling peas; be patient, the fitness and endurance will come if you stick at it. As long as you eat high carb meals fuelling shouldn't be a problem; I usually take an 'emergency' gel with me when I go to 20 or over but it stays in my pocket 99% of the time.

Edit: just noticed the above post about sticky gloopy gels. I use SIS Go Energy with caffiene and they go down very easily on the run.

Edited by SighMo

I'm shitting it for the festival - had a screw put in my foot a fortnight ago and not allowed to put any weight on it until the end of February. Hoping that 5 months will be long enough to be stood around for most of the day without any complaints that alcohol or naughties won't quell.

Balls.

9 hours ago, ogriff said:

Any recommendations for an increasingly out of shape dad-sized person struggling to fit any exercise in who still expects to party like he's 25 would be greatly appreciated.

Running must be the easiest and cheapest thing to get into plus it can be quite addictive once you get going. You don’t need long either- probs 10-15 mins to start off with. I know people who’ve done the couch to 5k app and got into it that way- it starts you off really easily and builds up.

1 hour ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Running must be the easiest and cheapest thing to get into plus it can be quite addictive once you get going. You don’t need long either- probs 10-15 mins to start off with. I know people who’ve done the couch to 5k app and got into it that way- it starts you off really easily and builds up.

I used to run half marathons and the like, it's fitting any kind of training in around school and nursery run, work that I'm struggling with. By the weekend i just want to sit on my increasingly fat arse

Just checking in. 

Almost a month into my 50k training. 

Still swinging wildly between utterly shitting myself (those fuckin’ hills) and excited.

Running about 50 miles per week, inc. hill repeats / power hiking training and some core work.

Family / work life (and not wanting to die on busy, unlit country roads with no whitelining, up which people drive at 60mph) means I have no option other than to run on the dreadmill 3 times a week. So I just smash out 8 to 13 milers on that as hard n fast as I can (13mes in 85 mins...I know it’s ‘cheating’though).

No idea how how I’m actually doing. I’ve got no previous point of reference. Totally clueless.

Glad to see everyone keeping at it. 

Keep going. X

Edited by Woffy
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ogriff said:

Any recommendations for an increasingly out of shape dad-sized person struggling to fit any exercise in who still expects to party like he's 25 would be greatly appreciated.

Might sound daft but when people say they struggle to fit excercise or they don’t know where start. I always tell them to try running up and down the stairs during an ad break on TV. 

3 1/2 minutes see how many times you can do it and then try and beat it. But that’s probably abit too basic for you.

• Like 1

Personal best on 10k, but didn't break the 45-minutes barrier like I wanted to. Conditions were tough (wind, rain), and felt tired day before and didn't sleep too well. Minor cold too, so not perfect. Confident I can knock off another 30-60 seconds next time. Unfortunately February is my least favourite month, thankfully it's short.

Managed to get back on an extremely healthy diet after Christmas, just as well given I suffered some rather extreme mental health symptoms. Pulled my calf at footy the other night which is a bugger as that's put paid to taking running up. Managing to walk 3 miles a day to and from work and play in goal still so trying my best. Got a feeling I'm going to be needed to play serious cricket again this year so hopefully that's another kick up my still rather fat arse. 13.3kg lost since the end of September with Christmas and quite a few really shit weeks eating wise in between. Still hoping to lose another 25kg before Glastonbury.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:11 PM, ogriff said:

Just been reading up a little on high intensity exercise. 10 minutes a day and can be more productive on weight loss than hours in the Gym. All looks good and if you need to fit it into a busy schedule should work.

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2019 at 10:47 PM, shayne66 said:

currently having physio on my knee for an injury i picked up last August....... at least there is plenty of time still.

I'm sure that you are doing everything you can and as you say there is still plenty of time for you to recover, but from p[ainfull experience make sure that you are keeping the muscles around the knee strong.

I'm nearly two years in to a cartilage problem, struggled doing almost anything last year and eventually it all seized up as my quads had forgotten how to work and my already bad knees were taking all the pressure. Two months into a program to strengthen the muscles and to restore knee stability the results are amazing.

In September i was very low, hardly able to get out of the house, questioning if i'd ever go to Glastonbury again and pushing the surgeon to make my knee replacement a priority, but luckily the physio i was seeing talked me out of it and i now definitely think that if i can continue rebuilding the muscles that support the knee then there will be no reason for a new knee for several years.

Roll on the resale

Edited by tjamest