Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Back at the HIIT for the first time in too many weeks. Bear crawl / burpee combos done killed me.

Read that as beer crawl at first.  Brutal combination! :lol:

Working from home this afternoon so no decent excuse not to get out and get some miles under my belt before I have to go and pick Mrs Q up from the station...

Spent most of the weekend on the lash after failing to go to bed after my works Christmas Party Friday night and carrying on into Sat, finally collapsed into bed after 38 hours of being awake. Felt awful all Sunday/Monday, until I went for a run last night that seems to have shifted the weariness of the weekend. Back on the intervals tomorrow night and will hopefully get a long run in Friday night so that I'm fresh for Saturday as I have a Gaz Brookfield gig.

Managed a second 10k on Sunday and again felt pretty good after. On Sunday night we had a friend over with her two young kids and, sure enough, I'm now floored with the cold. Had hoped to get out for a short run this afternoon but will need to wait until (hopefully) tomorrow 

Going to find it hard to fit runs in over the next couple of weeks. Mrs Jass is also a keen runner, in the old days we'd just go out at the same time but with Baby Jass on the scene obviously one of us needs to be at home while the other one is out.

Going to do a long one on Friday evening, then next week I've got McCartney Sunday (my parents are coming down from Brum to babysit so can hardly slip out then), works Xmas do Monday (which means Tuesday is a write off), Wednesday is Mrs Jass' agreed running night, Thursday I'm meeting mates for a few drinks after work, Friday could be a goer depending on how many I have the night before, then we're into Christmas and we're up and down the country visiting people.

44 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Going to find it hard to fit runs in over the next couple of weeks. Mrs Jass is also a keen runner, in the old days we'd just go out at the same time but with Baby Jass on the scene obviously one of us needs to be at home while the other one is out.

Going to do a long one on Friday evening, then next week I've got McCartney Sunday (my parents are coming down from Brum to babysit so can hardly slip out then), works Xmas do Monday (which means Tuesday is a write off), Wednesday is Mrs Jass' agreed running night, Thursday I'm meeting mates for a few drinks after work, Friday could be a goer depending on how many I have the night before, then we're into Christmas and we're up and down the country visiting people.

Simply run to each people visiting point.

I failed to go to Cardio Hiit last night, despite telling myself "no excuses", and instead went for burgers and beers with a too-recent ex..... Epic fail all round really. 

Tomorrow I'm getting back on it. Booked at 7.15am spin to start as I mean to go on!

My friend also recently pointed out that rather than fretting about the need for a Glastonbury diet, given that I will most likely be bundled up under a hoodie for most of it, I should be far more concerned about our trip to Ibiza at the end of May. As ever, he is probably correct. 

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I failed to go to Cardio Hiit last night, despite telling myself "no excuses", and instead went for burgers and beers with a too-recent ex..... Epic fail all round really. 

Tomorrow I'm getting back on it. Booked at 7.15am spin to start as I mean to go on!

My friend also recently pointed out that rather than fretting about the need for a Glastonbury diet, given that I will most likely be bundled up under a hoodie for most of it, I should be far more concerned about our trip to Ibiza at the end of May. As ever, he is probably correct. 

Could you not wear a hoodie to Ibiza as well? :D

46 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was actually considering a Boxing Day jaunt up and down the Seven Sisters.

Christmas morning I normally get up there for a sabbatical, I’m in Eastbourne so just out to east dean and then back via the hills - just to build up a ridiculous hunger really ?

Just checking into this thread, lost 10kg in the last 11 weeks or so, with half of that time being what can only be described as shittily unhealthy weeks, with the other half being exceptionally good weeks. Am now classified as 'obese' which sounds horrific but is actually a step down from what I was. Plan is to be 'overweight' by Glastonbury, so around 28kg or so to go.

Had a real hit on the mental health side in recent weeks which has had its upside in really kicking my arse into gear to get myself physically fit. Can see me getting roped into playing 1st XI Prem cricket again so another goal to aim for in terms of getting fit.

Going to start running after Christmas, likely a 5 minute jog, 3 minute walk sort of thing to begin with so I might end up in here bugging you guys with questions to help! 

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2018 at 2:41 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Was actually considering a Boxing Day jaunt up and down the Seven Sisters.

Ooh lovely. I'm from Eastbourne and used to run frequently along the seafront and up to Beachy Head and South Downs.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, balti-pie said:

Christmas morning I normally get up there for a sabbatical, I’m in Eastbourne so just out to east dean and then back via the hills - just to build up a ridiculous hunger really ?

Some tough hills round there!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, Waapster said:

As it gets colder I'm increasingly moving indoors to the gym. (And enjoying it more as i do). I have a gym just over the road that charges £20 per month for 24/7 access. Its clean, it works and it has free classes. I actually can't believe what good value it is.

I decided last month to work on nutrition too. Since 18 November I have lost exactly 3 kilos. Is that going too fast?

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:53 PM, Woffy said:

We need @SighMo back. He knows these things. 

Been too busy latelty to get on here. Unfortunately I'm still not running due to bursitis (hip).

As for avoiding running in the cold I'm probably not the one to ask. Never used a treddie and usually run everyday whatever the weather. When it's proper cold I wear a Skins top, a long sleeved running top and a tee shirt on top of that. A fleece or wool hat and a pair of gloves, sometimes two pairs, oh, and running tights of various warmth. I've always avoided running jackets; can't see the point as they'll end up wet on the inside anyway. Can get a bit hairy running on icey paths and I try to keep on the fresh bits if I can.

Having said all this I do know plenty of good runners who resort to the treadmill as soon as they see any ice. Even better if you've got room for one at home.

Feeling fed up about it all to be honest; was on target for my usual 3000+ miles this year but with a long lay off with my calf and now this (haven't run for about 5 weeks) I just managed 2500. I've got until Jan to decide whether to enter VLM19 or not....need to get going soon if I'm going to do it.

I had a small swim at the weekend. Was a very strange experience at the start...I found I couldn't float. It was the first time swimming since having lung removed and hadn't even considered the effect on buoyancy! I managed to adapt in the end and my shoulder held up ok (nerve damage from op), but think I might have to buy a float and just use legs if want to do a decent amount of lengths.