Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

15 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Unless they smell like Pepparami Hot One. I love those.

I think you should surreptitiously lick one of them and then when they look at you surprised / disgusted just say "Oooo, you're a bit of an animal"...and walk off.

I do love incorporating a good retro advert reference into my sexual harassment activities 

Did another 8 miler tonight as my long run for the week, wasn’t easy given I have a horrible head cold but got another busy festive weekend planned so tonight was my only chance to get it in. Think it’s going to be difficult to fit in all my runs over Christmas, how are others planning their running/exercise around festivities?

12 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Did another 8 miler tonight as my long run for the week, wasn’t easy given I have a horrible head cold but got another busy festive weekend planned so tonight was my only chance to get it in. Think it’s going to be difficult to fit in all my runs over Christmas, how are others planning their running/exercise around festivities?

Well done CB.

Ugh. I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. I did an 8 mile / 9mph / 1 hour-ish treadmill run last night. And i'm finding it harder and harder the closer we get to Christmas.

I always start to feel a bit run down at this time of year (and i'm fully expecting to get a rotten cold almost the moment I finish work on the 13th).

In answer to your question:

I'm just trying to keep up with 2 midweek fast-ish treadmill runs of 8-10 miles and one long trail run 13-15 miles at the weekends right up until Christmas. Then my more focussed 50k training begins on 01 January (literally) ready for March.

But, yeah - finding it a bit tough at the moment.

A nice 10km treadmill workout for me last night split in to 1km segments with speed as followed

12kmph
13kmph
14kmph
15kmph
x2

Then a 12kmph and 15kmph to finish.

Came in at 44.51

No feedback in the legs this morning so feeling good.

Back in to the gym tomorrow morning for some kind of workout which hasn't been decided on yet! Possibly another 10km, we shall see.

Well done to all those for their bits and bobs this week (far too many to tag) keep it up!

29 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

A nice 10km treadmill workout for me last night split in to 1km segments with speed as followed

12kmph
13kmph
14kmph
15kmph
x2

Then a 12kmph and 15kmph to finish.

Came in at 44.51

No feedback in the legs this morning so feeling good.

Back in to the gym tomorrow morning for some kind of workout which hasn't been decided on yet! Possibly another 10km, we shall see.

Well done to all those for their bits and bobs this week (far too many to tag) keep it up!

Good work Joey.

Signed up for the Lulworth Cove 50k yet?

As it gets colder I'm increasingly moving indoors to the gym. (And enjoying it more as i do). I have a gym just over the road that charges £20 per month for 24/7 access. Its clean, it works and it has free classes. I actually can't believe what good value it is.

I decided last month to work on nutrition too. Since 18 November I have lost exactly 3 kilos. Is that going too fast?

3 hours ago, Waapster said:

As it gets colder I'm increasingly moving indoors to the gym. (And enjoying it more as i do). I have a gym just over the road that charges £20 per month for 24/7 access. Its clean, it works and it has free classes. I actually can't believe what good value it is.

I decided last month to work on nutrition too. Since 18 November I have lost exactly 3 kilos. Is that going too fast?

We need @SighMo back. He knows these things. 

We're on our way to a Christening today so did a 5k last night in the knowledge that I'd do eff all exercise today. Planning on doing a decent park run tomorrow with the missus, weather permitting. This weekend might be the last decent one for running as according to the forecast its meant to start snowing here from around Friday onwards. 

I need a bit of rest. Feel a bit broken at the moment due to a couple of weeks working very hard, the races I've done and my training of this week so far. Went sort of all out Thursday during our 12x 300m (approx. 1 minute rest) on the track, felt things I haven't felt in quite a while. If I do something tomorrow, it will be a 50-60 minutes at a comfortable pace. 

I'm not too busy during the holiday, so will just do most of my training. Probably one track training is dropped, due to it being closed. I always like a morning run on 1st of January, while it is still quite in the streets.

Edited by StupidDream

17 hours ago, Waapster said:

I'm not exactly an expert, but it seems a bit fast. But I don't know where you're coming from and it's not uncommon to drop the first 'easy' kilos quite fast, especially if you've changed things drastically. If you're doing quite some exercise, don't cut back on the calories too much, but I guess you're mostly busy with what you eat.

• Upvote 1

Hubby gone to gym this morning and going to see about getting me membership. They have a pool so that'll be my main port of call, with sauna and steam room to reward myself after. Have managed to go out for a walk every day this week, was feeling bit more motivated but this cold just keeps coming and going knocking me back.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:04 AM, Woffy said:

And i'm finding it harder and harder the closer we get to Christmas.

Aye, it all seems to go out of the window doesn't it? I don't feel run down, but there's just too much joviality to be had to fit it all in. Ended up cancelling cardio hiit on Tuesday evening in order to finish some work before a xmas pub quiz, Thursday's early morning spin got sacked off because my housemate kept me up quite late being drunk and amusing and Friday's replacement early morning spin got sacked off because I got absolutely inebriated on four different kinds of wine at a friend's Christmas Dinner on Thursday night and was essentially in bed all day yesterday in a VERY bad way. Good job I'm just a PhD student, because if I had a real job I probably would have been fired.

I did make it to the gym session on Wednesday, but despite focusing on glutes, I seem to have mostly worked the muscles in my lower back instead...

This week gets a 1 out of 10 exercise wise, but a good 9 out of 10 for festive cheer. Apart from yesterday day time. There was absolutely nothing cheerful about that. 

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Aye, it all seems to go out of the window doesn't it? I don't feel run down, but there's just too much joviality to be had to fit it all in. Ended up cancelling cardio hiit on Tuesday evening in order to finish some work before a xmas pub quiz, Thursday's early morning spin got sacked off because my housemate kept me up quite late being drunk and amusing and Friday's replacement early morning spin got sacked off because I got absolutely inebriated on four different kinds of wine at a friend's Christmas Dinner on Thursday night and was essentially in bed all day yesterday in a VERY bad way. Good job I'm just a PhD student, because if I had a real job I probably would have been fired.

I did make it to the gym session on Wednesday, but despite focusing on glutes, I seem to have mostly worked the muscles in my lower back instead...

This week gets a 1 out of 10 exercise wise, but a good 9 out of 10 for festive cheer. Apart from yesterday day time. There was absolutely nothing cheerful about that. 

Fantastic drunkenness and festive shenanigans are really the best reason not to exercise, Sasp! Good work!

And with those lower back muscles you’ll be able to get a post m-PhD job with a removal firm! 

Whats your PhD by the way? Weren’t you in S.America around the time / before G2016 IIRC?

In other news:

Some decent cheap winter running clobber accessories in TKMaxx caught my eye while Xmas shopping this morning; gloves, wraps, etc. Might pop back in a bit. 

Edited by Woffy
Shite typing

13 hours ago, Woffy said:

Weekend fitness plans, my friends?

Recovering mostly. Think I've managed to inflict tendinitis upon myself so given myself a week off the weights to see if it goes away. Felt crap taking a week off as I know my lifts will be slightly weaker going back. Eager to get back to it on Monday and hopefully I don't feel any tendon pain.  

21 hours ago, Woffy said:

Whats your PhD by the way? Weren’t you in S.America around the time / before G2016 IIRC?

In other news:

Some decent cheap winter running clobber accessories in TKMaxx caught my eye while Xmas shopping this morning; gloves, wraps, etc. Might pop back in a bit. 

I was indeed, well remembered :) Went back for 3 months at the start of this year to do some more data collection, and now well into the writing up stage. Have it all planned out so ideally it's all done and dusted before Glastonbury! It's on illegal Peruvian gold miners, migration and changing social/community dynamics. Pretty random, but I like it and I suppose that's all that matters!

I also need some new sports wear. Was planning on raiding the Christmas sales, but TKMaxx is always a good shout

19 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Recovering mostly. Think I've managed to inflict tendinitis upon myself so given myself a week off the weights to see if it goes away. Felt crap taking a week off as I know my lifts will be slightly weaker going back. Eager to get back to it on Monday and hopefully I don't feel any tendon pain.  

Get well soon, SU. Where’s your tendinitis flared up? I haven’t had it since after a cartilage op at 16 when I was a (pretty decent as it happens) footballer. Behind my knee. And it was s h i t. So I feel ya. 

6 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I was indeed, well remembered :) Went back for 3 months at the start of this year to do some more data collection, and now well into the writing up stage. Have it all planned out so ideally it's all done and dusted before Glastonbury! It's on illegal Peruvian gold miners, migration and changing social/community dynamics. Pretty random, but I like it and I suppose that's all that matters!

I also need some new sports wear. Was planning on raiding the Christmas sales, but TKMaxx is always a good shout

I really, genuinely want to know more about illegal Peruvian gold miners! I’m guessing that other than your thesis there’s no collected writings in English on the subject. 

If anyone is bothered, buy / read Jane Mayers book Dark Money. I think I recommended it to @SwedgeAntilles on Twitter. Dunno if he read it.  

It’s fucking fantastic though. 

Whilst I'm rambling, I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT to get for Xmas (requested) / read In Extremis: The Life of War Correspondent Marie Colvin by Lindsey Hilsum. 

This week has mostly consisted of work getting in the way, work xmas party getting in the way, subsequent hangover getting in the way, and time thinking of excuses getting in the way. On the plus side my drinking and karaoke game has been on point.

Back on the horse tomorrow. Only 4 weeks until Fan Dance...

Had to split my 10km treadmill run on Saturday into 2 x 5kms due to aforementioned bowel issues!

Did the first 5km in 22:55 then had a bit of fun with the second one,

5 x 1km fast paced with a 50 second rest between each.

Ended up doing 3 at 15kmph and 2 at 16kmph.

It worked out at 20:09 (not including the rests)

Should be back in Tues, Thurs and Saturday this week. Trying to get as many sessions in as I can before I fly to Perth next Tuesday.

I'm becoming convinced my ten month old daughter is trying to sabotage my running. After a couple of weeks of bombarding me with various bugs she has started teething which has led to me being up all hours with her and being too knackered the next morning to get out. Wasn't able to do anything over the weekend.

I've got my kit with me and am hoping to run after work tonight but will have to see how tired I am.

20 hours ago, Woffy said:

I really, genuinely want to know more about illegal Peruvian gold miners! I’m guessing that other than your thesis there’s no collected writings in English on the subject. 

Aaah well, I can tell you all about it at the meet up over a nice pint of Brothers! There's some stuff about it in English, but a lot of it is on illegal miners in Africa. Still useful though!

20 hours ago, Quark said:

This week has mostly consisted of work getting in the way, work xmas party getting in the way, subsequent hangover getting in the way, and time thinking of excuses getting in the way. 

Same ? I am going to cardio hiit though at 6.15pm. No excuses this time!

• Upvote 1