Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

I'm also late to this thread but hi there...

Another SE London runner with periodic spells running around in Canada. I stopped most of my (pretty much out of control) drinking three months ago and started weight loss seriously a month ago. I'm three kilos down with another 14 to go.

I did London Mara this year and I'm looking for an interesting challenge for 2019 although I'm a bit scared of these ultras.

Side note: I bought an Apple Watch recently so I have a spare Fitbit Ionic if anybody wants to give it a try. I rather liked it.

Waap

19 minutes ago, Waapster said:

Another SE London runner with periodic spells running around in Canada. I stopped most of my (pretty much out of control) drinking three months ago and started weight loss seriously a month ago. I'm three kilos down with another 14 to go.

I did London Mara this year and I'm looking for an interesting challenge for 2019 although I'm a bit scared of these ultras.

Side note: I bought an Apple Watch recently so I have a spare Fitbit Ionic if anybody wants to give it a try. I rather liked it.

Waap

You should do this. Great fun. Did it this year with mates:

https://ratracedirtyweekend.co.uk

Gonna reply properly to a lot of these recent post tomorrow (while at work).

There really aren’t enough encouraging upvotes to go around!

Really tough 12 miles this morning - due to shitty wet n windy weather.

Oh, and @Waapster I’ll be in touch RE: the Fitbit dude. 

Night all. And: whatever it is your doing to GFFG2019 - KEEP GOING!

Went for a run this morning, have been feeling ill with various bugs for the last couple of weeks (I have my darling daughter starting nursery to thank for that) so haven’t been out much and have been doing a lot of chocolate-based comfort eating so wasn’t feeling great in terms of fitness levels... Managed to pull 12 miles out of the bag which I’m pretty chuffed about.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Went for a run this morning, have been feeling ill with various bugs for the last couple of weeks (I have my darling daughter starting nursery to thank for that) so haven’t been out much and have been doing a lot of chocolate-based comfort eating so wasn’t feeling great in terms of fitness levels... Managed to pull 12 miles out of the bag which I’m pretty chuffed about.

Nice work!

I'm massively jealous as it was a lovely morning.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

Question for the runners, what exercises to do you recommend for building knee strength in your warm up/down? That's the only part of my body that feels a bit tender after I've run and I want to make sure I don't get a daft injury when I'm making steady progress.

So as with all things I'm caveating this with "I'm not qualified or even an expert" :)

Personally I found that my knee issues as a result of running reduced when I increased my squat and lunge training.  Not necessarily going heavy or anything, but that movement does make the structures around your knees work to provide a stable platform.

I know that some people link knee pain to squats so I'm happy to be corrected, but I've always known that to be as result of heavy squats.

I do these as a separate exercise set from running.  You'll gradually be exhausting the muscles by working them, so to then go running on them would (I suspect) increase the injury risk.  A few set of bodyweight squats to warm them up would be fine, but don't confuse strengthening with warming up!

I've also stopped doing leg extensions as I understand that the movement and load is actually a bit unnatural, and puts quite a bit of strain on the patella tendon in particular. Ditto for leg presses, as it's not quite the body's natural movement.

If you're not a gym bunny or have access to a squat rack and bar you can always just do them with weights in your hands, or a goblet squat if you've got a kettlebell.

Also worth remembering that some people just don't have good knees for running.  Mrs Q has been told by a couple of physios that her knees are just not structurally suited to running, no matter what exercises she does!

• Upvote 1

I’ve tried to up my calorie intake the last couple of weeks as I've upped my weekly mileage. Clearly not been scoffing enough as I’ve dropped another 5 pounds. Gives me a good excuse to binge of the cheese boards this festive session as ideally I don’t think I need to lose anymore weight, not now I’ve hit the 4 stone lost mark. But I struggle to sometimes to get the calories in as I’m vegetarian and likely eat like a rabbit, shit tons of veggies and fruits, need to up my potato intake I think!

Just found this thread, great idea for motivation :) personally im hoping to find 2019 a lot easier, ive gone from a 14 stone slob to 11.5 since I started getting into fitness back around may and am eating a lot healthier and a lot fitter then I was, im actually training to be a fitness instructor now lifes turned totally 180 for me in 2018 which has been awesome :) I ran the Plymouth 10k back in october, and have entered the half marathon which is in may 2019.....so will be training for that and hopefully even fitter by he time glasto rolls around.....then Ill probably throw it all out the window by downing copius amounts of booze and takeaway food during glastonbury week itself but hey! lol

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, waterfalls21234 said:

Just found this thread, great idea for motivation :) personally im hoping to find 2019 a lot easier, ive gone from a 14 stone slob to 11.5 since I started getting into fitness back around may and am eating a lot healthier and a lot fitter then I was, im actually training to be a fitness instructor now lifes turned totally 180 for me in 2018 which has been awesome :) I ran the Plymouth 10k back in october, and have entered the half marathon which is in may 2019.....so will be training for that and hopefully even fitter by he time glasto rolls around.....then Ill probably throw it all out the window by downing copius amounts of booze and takeaway food during glastonbury week itself but hey! lol

I hear excessive moshing is great exercise....

On 12/2/2018 at 1:57 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'm back over to Scotland for Christmas on the 21st and ideally I'm hoping to try at run 10k before I do. 

Quick update on this. Went for a run yesterday and managed to do my first 10k (and I mean ever!). Conditions were great for running, it was just above zero but was sunny and hardly any wind so didn't feel too cold. I tried to make a conscious effort to run at a steady pace throughout (I've got a habit of starting off too quickly and struggling after that - tbh I think that's contributed to the sore knees after), by the time I got to 5k I felt fine and decided I was going to extend my route and give it a go. Only bit of panic was just after I passed the 7k mark when I got a low battery warning on my running watch. Was great motivation though, was terrified I'd finally do it and have no evidence! Managed to get round in just under one hour (59:22 to be exact) which gives me something to build on. Knees feel fine today, will be taking it easy and back out tomorrow on my usual 6k route.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I hear excessive moshing is great exercise....

Ska is damn good for it! Nothing like an hour's solid skanking to get the old heart rate up :)

15 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Quick update on this. Went for a run yesterday and managed to do my first 10k (and I mean ever!). Conditions were great for running, it was just above zero but was sunny and hardly any wind so didn't feel too cold. I tried to make a conscious effort to run at a steady pace throughout (I've got a habit of starting off too quickly and struggling after that - tbh I think that's contributed to the sore knees after), by the time I got to 5k I felt fine and decided I was going to extend my route and give it a go. Only bit of panic was just after I passed the 7k mark when I got a low battery warning on my running watch. Was great motivation though, was terrified I'd finally do it and have no evidence! Managed to get round in just under one hour (59:22 to be exact) which gives me something to build on. Knees feel fine today, will be taking it easy and back out tomorrow on my usual 6k route.

Good work Swedge. Don't know what watch you've got, but has it got a training zone function on it? Keeping a steady pace has always been problem, but I can set my tomtom within a pace range so it buzzes if I'm too fast or too slow.  Found that massively helps!

19 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Great work pal.

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Amazing work! Just be careful not to do what I did and be so super excited about how well I was doing that I decided to run 10k the next weekend and then 10k the following weekend (plus my usual runs in between). The third 10k gave me ITBS and I’ve been injured for 3 months. It’s actually torture reading this thread.

Thanks for the kind words folks ?

@Quark at the moment I'm using my girlfriend's old Garmin vivosmart HR+. It's a few years old now so not sure of the functionality but I'll look into it. I made a pact with myself that if I properly got into running and stuck at it I'd invest in a new one, provided I'm still going regularly I'll treat myself in the new year.

@Phoenix Girl ouch, that sounds awful :( get well soon. I'm going to reign in distance wise for a bit and concentrate on improving my pace in the shorter runs. 

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Ska is damn good for it! Nothing like an hour's solid skanking to get the old heart rate up :)

Awesome - I'm going to see a ska band on Friday :)

I finally figured out the perfect time to go to the gym so that the free weights aren't commandeered by meat heads (I find the men who hover around the free weights to be overwhelmingly intimidating). Think I've also figured out 1 hour gym routine targeting glutes and thighs, which I guess I can mix up a bit and add to over the next six and a half months (woohoo - only six and a half months to go!!). How many times a week do I need to be doing that to notice a difference? Maybe two? I don't feel like I need to balance those out with any gym sessions focusing on arms, because climbing sorts that out, and doesn't even feel like exercise - win!

I usually also aim for 3-4 sessions of spinning/cardio hiit a week. Maybe I should skew more towards cardio hiit as that absolutely kills my glutes sometimes, and too much spinning probably isn't good for building muscle? Although tbf in reality I don't always manage it

I love how efestivals is now also offering a sideline in personal fitness advice!

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Awesome - I'm going to see a ska band on Friday :)

I finally figured out the perfect time to go to the gym so that the free weights aren't commandeered by meat heads (I find the men who hover around the free weights to be overwhelmingly intimidating). Think I've also figured out 1 hour gym routine targeting glutes and thighs, which I guess I can mix up a bit and add to over the next six and a half months (woohoo - only six and a half months to go!!). How many times a week do I need to be doing that to notice a difference? Maybe two? I don't feel like I need to balance those out with any gym sessions focusing on arms, because climbing sorts that out, and doesn't even feel like exercise - win!

I usually also aim for 3-4 sessions of spinning/cardio hiit a week. Maybe I should skew more towards cardio hiit as that absolutely kills my glutes sometimes, and too much spinning probably isn't good for building muscle? Although tbf in reality I don't always manage it

I love how efestivals is now also offering a sideline in personal fitness advice!

Ooh, who you gong to see?

I find the meathead thing varies by time of day.  Post-work is definitely when it's most full of bros doing bicep curls, who tend to be the eedjits.  Early morning is generally better.

But don't assume that all of us in the free weights are intimidating!  OK, I admit that with the shaved head and what can best be described as an expression of barely suppressed rage when I'm lifting I probably don't look the most welcoming, but that's just effort!

I think these days where it's far more common for women to lift weights there's much less of the "why are you in our domain?" thing going on.  But yeah, a few years ago you'd definitely have been a curiosity!

52 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ooh, who you gong to see?

I find the meathead thing varies by time of day.  Post-work is definitely when it's most full of bros doing bicep curls, who tend to be the eedjits.  Early morning is generally better.

But don't assume that all of us in the free weights are intimidating!  OK, I admit that with the shaved head and what can best be described as an expression of barely suppressed rage when I'm lifting I probably don't look the most welcoming, but that's just effort!

I think these days where it's far more common for women to lift weights there's much less of the "why are you in our domain?" thing going on.  But yeah, a few years ago you'd definitely have been a curiosity!

Bison, I think they're a Sheffield band. I actually know nothing about them really, but my friend reckons they're awesome and it's their last show, so I think it should be fun!

As for the intimidation, I think a lot of it is just me not being confident with what I'm supposed to do with the weights....so hopefully as I get more used to that, I'll also stop being scared of all the beefy men that have expressions of suppressed rage

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Waapster said:

Waap

Nice work on the London Marathon, Waap. How was it?

For a moment I read "I'm three kids down and another 14 to go"...and thought I finally had some competition!!!

Do an ultra. I've stuck a map of mine with ascent profile on my desk. Been staring at it alternating between belligerence and terror all morning. And I've laminated it 'cos i'm a sad fuck.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, Hugh Jass said:

This is very, very impressive 'ill' running Jassy. Props.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, fernandomassuy said:

Been swimming, lifting weights constantly these days. Also cut a lot of weed (only socially now) and trying to eat healthy. Natural dopamine feels great!

Endorphins are amazing! Good work nametoolongtotryandspellproperly! x

4 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Good work Swedge. Welcome to the club. 10k in under an hour is effing decent dude!!! All my best runs have been finished battling to beat a low battery!

3 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Amazing work! Just be careful not to do what I did and be so super excited about how well I was doing that I decided to run 10k the next weekend and then 10k the following weekend (plus my usual runs in between). The third 10k gave me ITBS and I’ve been injured for 3 months. It’s actually torture reading this thread.

Get well soon, PG.

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Bison, I think they're a Sheffield band. I actually know nothing about them really, but my friend reckons they're awesome and it's their last show, so I think it should be fun!

As for the intimidation, I think a lot of it is just me not being confident with what I'm supposed to do with the weights....so hopefully as I get more used to that, I'll also stop being scared of all the beefy men that have expressions of suppressed rage

Sasp, just imagine @Quark smelling beefy rather than being beefy. far less intimidating. Actually, perhaps don't.

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Sasp, just imagine @Quark smelling beefy rather than being beefy. far less intimidating. Actually, perhaps don't.

Both equally unpleasant.

I'm not particularly beefy tbh. Used to be a bit bigger when I was playing rugby more seriously, but nowhere near that anymore.  But now I've got pressure from Woffy to turn up to the meet in full Ultimate Warrior garb!

37 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Haha! i'm not sure if this will help my performance in any way, but I suppose I can give it a go :lol:

@Quark has however encouraged me to try and befriend some of the meatheads. Hopefully ones that don't actually smell like sweaty meat....

Edited by Sasperella

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Both equally unpleasant.

I'm not particularly beefy tbh. Used to be a bit bigger when I was playing rugby more seriously, but nowhere near that anymore.  But now I've got pressure from Woffy to turn up to the meet in full Ultimate Warrior garb!

I'm fully expecting you to look like The Rock. The Qurock, if you will.

40 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Haha! i'm not sure if this will help my performance in any way, but I suppose I can give it a go :lol:

@Quark has however encouraged me to try and befriend some of the meatheads. Hopefully ones that don't actually smell like sweaty meat....

Unless they smell like Pepparami Hot One. I love those.

I think you should surreptitiously lick one of them and then when they look at you surprised / disgusted just say "Oooo, you're a bit of an animal"...and walk off.