Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Bought myself a fancy new watch in the sales on Friday.

Garmin 735xt which is a massive upgrade on what I had been using. It will also help with my nagging urge to do a triathlon as it's apparently good for logging swimming as well.

My ultimate aim is to do an ironman but that's a long way off at the moment.

Well done to those who have started on their running quests. Every journey starts with a single step!

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Bought myself a fancy new watch in the sales on Friday.

Garmin 735xt which is a massive upgrade on what I had been using. It will also help with my nagging urge to do a triathlon as it's apparently good for logging swimming as well.

My ultimate aim is to do an ironman but that's a long way off at the moment.

Well done to those who have started on their running quests. Every journey starts with a single step!

Nice.

How much did you get it for, if you don't mind me asking Joey?

We'll also need a brief review... :) 

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

9 miles, still not fully recovered - my stomach felt a little gloopy all the way, which added an element of danger and the unknown to the run.

I ALWAYS take a packet of tissues on my weekend long run. ALWAYS. 

Also. Just signed up and paid entry for a 50k ultra.

Fuck. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Fuck. 

I suppose you're lucky if you get caught up in the countryside, you can nip behind a bush. The streets of Bermondsey and Deptford are less forgiving.

50k Ultra?!? Why? Why would you?

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

9 miles, still not fully recovered - my stomach felt a little gloopy all the way, which added an element of danger and the unknown to the run.

I tread the line on that front regularly. Once had to stop on the treadmill and run quicker to the toilet than I had been during the workout ironically. 

3 hours ago, Woffy said:

Fuck. 

You won't regret it. 

I've still not plucked up the courage to sign up to another ultra after last year. 

I definitely have the running bug back. Did a 45min 10k last night which time wise is heading back in the right direction.

Off to Perth in a couple of weeks time for Christmas so hoping to get a parkrun or two in whilst out there so my progress doesn't stall!

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I suppose you're lucky if you get caught up in the countryside, you can nip behind a bush. The streets of Bermondsey and Deptford are less forgiving.

This is true I suppose (and I feel incredibly lucky to live where I live), but I went to uni in London and:

- I’ve seen more than my fair share of people having a dump in the street. Admittedly this was near the Medical Students Union late at night. And that lot were animals!

- Paula Radcliffe. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

50k Ultra?!? Why? Why would you?

Ask @JoeyT

I’m blaming him. It’s his fault. Git. ?

14 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Congrats, that'll be a hell of a challenge but I'm sure you'll come out the other side of it glad you did it.

I was ok with it CB riiiiiiiiiiiiiight up until the moment i’d paid! Spent all afternoon watching YouTube vids of the route and shitting myself (not literally. I’m not @Hugh Jass)

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I tread the line on that front regularly. Once had to stop on the treadmill and run quicker to the toilet than I had been during the workout ironically. 

You won't regret it. 

I've still not plucked up the courage to sign up to another ultra after last year. 

I definitely have the running bug back. Did a 45min 10k last night which time wise is heading back in the right direction.

Off to Perth in a couple of weeks time for Christmas so hoping to get a parkrun or two in whilst out there so my progress doesn't stall!

I was just talking about you! 

Told my mates I’d signed up on our WhatsApp group (they all live / work is SE Asia / Asia / Oz - hence the group chat). Responses:

- moron  

- fucking stupid

- I’d rather cut my knob off with a blunt spoon  

- WARHAMMER! (*I don’t get this one. But it’s Friday night there so he might be twatted)

Anyhoo:

A 45min 10k is fucking rapid!!!

And Perth! Lovely stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Woffy said:

This is true I suppose (and I feel incredibly lucky to live where I live), but I went to uni in London and:

- I’ve seen more than my fair share of people having a dump in the street. Admittedly this was near the Medical Students Union late at night. And that lot were animals!

- Paula Radcliffe. 

Paula Radcliffe - Hailed a hero.

Hugh Jass - 500 hours community service.

Same fucking thing!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Woffy said:

- Paula Radcliffe. 

Ask @JoeyT

I’m blaming him. It’s his fault. Git. ?

I was ok with it CB riiiiiiiiiiiiiight up until the moment i’d paid! Spent all afternoon watching YouTube vids of the route and shitting myself (not literally. I’m not @Hugh Jass)

I've just had a look at the race in question...

Now i'm tempted to join you! Does look a cracker. They had some cracking weather by the looks of the pics of last years event.

For those even slightly interested:

https://trailevents.co/events/lulworth-cove/

9 minutes ago, Woffy said:

WARHAMMER! (*I don’t get this one. But it’s Friday night there so he might be twatted)

All I can think is a reference to the table top game of Warhammer 40K. But you're running 50km.  So maybe a mix of that and being twatted?

48 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've just had a look at the race in question...

Now i'm tempted to join you! Does look a cracker. They had some cracking weather by the looks of the pics of last years event.

For those even slightly interested:

https://trailevents.co/events/lulworth-cove/

Come join me!

From what I can tell they do it at a different time of year each time. December then Summer now March. Maybe they rotate it with their other 4 events round the country: Bretons, Exmoor, etc?

Look stunning doesn’t it?! 

56 minutes ago, Quark said:

All I can think is a reference to the table top game of Warhammer 40K. But you're running 50km.  So maybe a mix of that and being twatted?

Possibly. I googled it too, saw that and made the same connection. 

I’m gonna go with: hes fucking spangled in Jakarta! 

Finally got that 5k personal best yesterday during the last park run of the series. If I hadn't made it I thought about finding another local run for a new attempt... Maybe doing a 10k race in a couple of weeks now that I'm on a high. Work had been killing me this week, plus a gig on Thursday, so didn't expect too much... Which is great for me, when I expect great things I usually fail. 

Enjoying some time on the couch now, two cats keeping me warm. Tuesday resuming regular training after a month of races and (involuntary) less training. You lot doing pretty well, by the looks of it.

Gonna throw my hat in the ring here too;

I moved to Sweden at the start of October and took the opportunity as part of the 'new start' to get back in shape/get fit. 2018 hasn't been a great year for me in that regard. I was working down south quite a bit and that meant too many restaurants/hotel meals, pints every night + little or no exercise meant that I'd been piling on the pounds. Didn't help that at the weekends I was partying rather than exercising so all told this was overdue.

Decided to try and get into running as it's the easiest/cheapest thing to do while I sort out a job. I started out struggling with circa 4k efforts and have been building up my distance and pace over the last 8 or so weeks. During the week I managed my fastest 5k so far at 28:10 and today I did my longest run at just over 8k. I'm back over to Scotland for Christmas on the 21st and ideally I'm hoping to try at run 10k before I do. 

Question for the runners, what exercises to do you recommend for building knee strength in your warm up/down? That's the only part of my body that feels a bit tender after I've run and I want to make sure I don't get a daft injury when I'm making steady progress.

I have lost a stone this year from doing intermittent fasting if anyone wants a tip. I was pretty fit anyway when I started the diet in May; I had just run a half marathon and then did the Rat Race (15 mile course with 250 obstacles).

Anyway, I don't have any appetite in the morning, so it works for me. I just eat lunch at 1pm then dinner at 7pm to 8pm then 'fast' for 18 hours. As I say, I've shifted a stone doing that, despite the fact that I still drink once or twice a week and have been on two fairly unhealthy holidays to Croatia and Malta in that time.

I also exercise a lot though (usually three times a week, but have had it up to five or six for the last month or so) and some crap but a lot of healthy stuff.