Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

On 11/14/2018 at 9:21 PM, Quark said:

That's how I do it now, so I go straight from bench into a hang clean & military press.  Short on time so I just do compound work these days rather than isolation sets.

One thing I have found is that since I've tweaked my form around a bit I'm much better able to avoid using the front delts for my bench, so I'm fresher for the shoulder work.  The other option I've tried is to change the order around, so some mornings I'll hit the shoulder first and then go onto the bench.

You might have come across him already, but I find Jeff Cavaliere has some really useful technique and form videos on his Athlean-X youtube channel.  It's really helped with my form, and some of his advice is starting to correct years of abuse to my shoulders and upper back!

Thanks guys really helpful yes been alternating exercises on days. Will check out you tube. Have also increased my calories by about 300 a day aiming for clean food and am feeling a difference getting stronger and looking better already. Like I say I am 59 so not going to be ripped but I am enjoying the programme. Thank you 

The wheels have well and truly come off for my Dec 2nd Valencia marathon effort. Developed a bit of a pain in my  left hip area last Friday which was still there after an easy 6 miles on Sat. Got up to 12 miles on my 22 mile Sunday run and had to walk 5 miles back to the car...been feeling pain in that area ever since. I think its bursitis which I've never had before; I've had most of 'em! The marathon was going to be a compromised effort anyway due to an early calf injury but I'll be doing well to even start now. Been here before though; shit happens.

7 minutes ago, SighMo said:

The wheels have well and truly come off for my Dec 2nd Valencia marathon effort. Developed a bit of a pain in my  left hip area last Friday which was still there after an easy 6 miles on Sat. Got up to 12 miles on my 22 mile Sunday run and had to walk 5 miles back to the car...been feeling pain in that area ever since. I think its bursitis which I've never had before; I've had most of 'em! The marathon was going to be a compromised effort anyway due to an early calf injury but I'll be doing well to even start now. Been here before though; shit happens.

I feel for you. Injury’s suck. I’m 10 weeks in to mine.

• Like 1

After a bit of a rocky start I've lost about 20kg (45lbs ish) since April. Beeen really inconsistent with the exercise so really need to work on that (just been a solid Keto diet carrying me basically). Read this thread regularly to get inspiration, purchased a half decent pair of running shoes today so hopefully I can get that started up this next week to add to my routine so hopefully I can get another 20kg off by the time Glasto roles around (and I'll finally be at a good, healthy weight for the first time in my life!)

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, SighMo said:

Oh man. This totally sucks. My commiserations. But hang in there. 

21 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I feel for you. Injury’s suck. I’m 10 weeks in to mine.

And to you PG. 

14 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

After a bit of a rocky start I've lost about 20kg (45lbs ish) since April. Beeen really inconsistent with the exercise so really need to work on that (just been a solid Keto diet carrying me basically). Read this thread regularly to get inspiration, purchased a half decent pair of running shoes today so hopefully I can get that started up this next week to add to my routine so hopefully I can get another 20kg off by the time Glasto roles around (and I'll finally be at a good, healthy weight for the first time in my life!)

This, however, is fucking amazing! 

Injuries suck @Phoenix Girl and @SighMo hope the recovery doesn't take too long. And good work @Mattymooz, that's a solid effort!

Had a weekend of extremes. Full game yesterday, including 40 mins playing at flanker which I haven't done for ages, forgotten how different the fitness is compared to playing on the wing!

Followed up with an hour of body balance this morning, working to get some flexibility back as I'm starting to notice the lack of it actually causing me issues now!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

12 miles yesterday.

Good work dude. 

My run went rather askew. 

Mile 13 was supposed to bring me out at the top of the hill from my house (for a nice sprint to finish). Somehow I’d got on the wrong (but very picturesque) trail / footpath and ended up about 3 miles from home. I’d already got a little lost twice (I was ending the run via a new route). And I had to go back quite a way at one point because I’d dropped my bloody phone after taking a photo. Also had a blister that felt like the size of the Isle of Wight (but later turned out to be tiny!). So when I emerged in the beer garden of a pub (I’d already passed at mile 9) at 13.1m I was mentally fucked and got the missus to pick me up!!! I’d’ve had a pint if hadn’t been so early.

I’m not really into times / PBs, but without all the fucking about getting lost / losing my phone I shoulda posted a sub-2 hour 13.1 over 800ft elevation. Instead a rotten 2h 11m. Still, thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the end!

Edited by Woffy
Spelling. Had/ has.

21 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Absolutely phenomenal, @Mattymooz

You should be hugely proud. Getting into a sensible, ENJOYABLE, realistic and sustainable pattern of exercise could be hugely helpful for keeping your focus and remaining at your fab weight once you get there - though what you’ve already achieved is incredible.

??????

Ben

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woffy said:

Good work dude. 

My run went rather askew. 

Mile 13 was supposed to bring me out at the top of the hill from my house (for a nice sprint to finish). Somehow I’d got on the wrong (but very picturesque) trail / footpath and ended up about 3 miles from home. I’d already got a little lost twice (I was ending the run via a new route). And I had to go back quite a way at one point because I’d dropped my bloody phone after taking a photo. Also had a blister that felt like the size of the Isle of Wight (but later turned out to be tiny!). So when I emerged in the beer garden of a pub (I’d already passed at mile 9) at 13.1m I was mentally fucked and got the missus to pick me up!!! I’d’ve had a pint if hadn’t been so early.

I’m not really into times / PBs, but without all the fucking about getting lost / losing my phone I shoulda posted a sub-2 hour 13.1 over 800ft elevation. Instead a rotten 2h 11m. Still, thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the end!

Those times are nothing to be sniffed at pal. Although the blisters do not sound like fun.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Those times are nothing to be sniffed at pal. Although the blisters do not sound like fun.

Cheers dude. 

Rarely get blisters. Although coincidentally my app told me straight afterwards that it’s time to change my running shoes as they’ve reached 250 miles. So that might be it. I’ll miss my Nike Wild Trails (in blue). I love em and you can’t get them anymore. Decent timing for a Christmas present though!

3 hours ago, Woffy said:

Cheers dude. 

Rarely get blisters. Although coincidentally my app told me straight afterwards that it’s time to change my running shoes as they’ve reached 250 miles. So that might be it. I’ll miss my Nike Wild Trails (in blue). I love em and you can’t get them anymore. Decent timing for a Christmas present though!

I’m sure the usual rule of thumb for running shoes is 500 miles. I usually retire mine to recovery runs only when they get to 500 although bargains are few and far between now so some of mine are well over this. Usually have about four pairs rotating. 

I went to an electronic confrenece 5 floor event on friday, danced nonstop from 8pm until 3am and I can still barely walk. Muscle relaxers arent even helping but my calves feel like theyre ripping from my leg bone with every step. 

I dont mind because I know I'll be doing the same thing in June.

3 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I went to an electronic confrenece 5 floor event on friday, danced nonstop from 8pm until 3am and I can still barely walk. Muscle relaxers arent even helping but my calves feel like theyre ripping from my leg bone with every step. 

I dont mind because I know I'll be doing the same thing in June.

Dedication! When I saw the word 'conference', I immediately assumed a work-related thing, haha. Great job, dancing is a good work out after all.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:11 PM, BlueDaze said:

i wish there were some less adequate posters on this thread....

I managed 25 minutes on the bike this morning to Hot Chips In our Heads album...sweating my tits off(hopefully)... ironically stopped just as Flutes started (possibly one of the very best 'pounding' tracks written...)

I was pretty happy with 25 minutes tbh..

I am happy to admit total inadequacy here! Been struggling with constant health issues and shoulder problem since operation earlier in the year. My walking plan out the window, exercise bike gathering dust (don't enjoy using it anyway) and despite not eating as much due to said health issues, still putting on weight due to necessary steroids. 

Shoulder improving slowly with exercise physio gave, but just feels like viscous cycle at the moment. 

I am determined this is the week it changes. Might start with a trip to the pool. Motivation where are you?!!

2 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I am happy to admit total inadequacy here! Been struggling with constant health issues and shoulder problem since operation earlier in the year. My walking plan out the window, exercise bike gathering dust (don't enjoy using it anyway) and despite not eating as much due to said health issues, still putting on weight due to necessary steroids. 

Shoulder improving slowly with exercise physio gave, but just feels like viscous cycle at the moment. 

I am determined this is the week it changes. Might start with a trip to the pool. Motivation where are you?!!

I am struggling for the motivation to get on my viscous cycle this morning...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

In all seriousness I know what you mean though..

surgeon offered partial knee replacement as knee if pretty f*cked but I turned it down as I am too young, too overweight, not fit enough ...

so I have to take steps to get properly prepared for inevitable surgery.. 

but it hurts man...

31 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Dedication! When I saw the word 'conference', I immediately assumed a work-related thing, haha. Great job, dancing is a good work out after all.

It was a bit of a strange event actually, because there were people that showed up in "work" attire, and then there were other people in fur hoods. 

But there were djs floors along with interactive exhibits, a silent disco, dj setups that you could play with... I'm so glad I went, I decided to go with work mates I didnt know well on a whim. Now I know 1 of my coworkers has a line on shrooms and likes to live in another world ??

8 hours ago, SighMo said:

I’m sure the usual rule of thumb for running shoes is 500 miles. I usually retire mine to recovery runs only when they get to 500 although bargains are few and far between now so some of mine are well over this. Usually have about four pairs rotating. 

That's what I thought but then I read the Born to run book (which i can thoroughly recommend to all you runners) which seems to suggest that it's somewhat of a myth regarding the 500 miles and change trainers.

If anyone can recommend any other running related books, i'm all ears.

38 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

That's what I thought but then I read the Born to run book (which i can thoroughly recommend to all you runners) which seems to suggest that it's somewhat of a myth regarding the 500 miles and change trainers.

If anyone can recommend any other running related books, i'm all ears.

'Eat and Run' and 'North' by Scott Jurek are good.

And I ADORE 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running' by Haruki Murakami.  

9 hours ago, SighMo said:

39 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I suspect my app is trying to flog me some trainers via an affiliated company / sponsor (Asics).

That said, I need a second pair to - as SighMo says - rotate a bit.

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

I suspect my app is trying to flog me some trainers via an affiliated company / sponsor (Asics).

That said, I need a second pair to - as SighMo says - rotate a bit.

I bought a new pair recently and have done about 50 miles in them but I'm already feeling myself drawn back to my older pair.

I also have some trail running trainers which i've worn more times as a substitute for hiking boots than for actual running. They may even become my shoes at the festival if wellies seem a bit OTT but it's too muddy for trainers.