Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Decided to mix some hills into tonights run, why I chose to do this on such a dark, wet and windy night I do not know. I discovered I do not like hills, specifically running up them, but I enjoyed the run over all. It was a slow and hard 6 miler but I’m sure it’ll help strengthen my legs for the next one!

I do a “hill run” every two weeks. This involves running up and down every hill in Pilton at least once. I find it makes  my normal runs easier. You can’t run here in the village without going up a hill at some point so I may as well try and make them as easy as possible.

16 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Cardio Hiit last night. Today my bum muscles ache so much that sitting down kind of hurts. I'm chalking this down as a big win - ideally i will be in this situation at least twice a week until June :D

Sore bum muscles all the way through 'til June! :)

In running clobber news, I have chosen my new trail running shows / Xmas present. Scotts Kinabalu RC. Love them.

Edited by Woffy

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Another 11 miler tonight, at least this way it's done and I don't have to worry about it the rest of the weekend.

I take this approach too - force myself to go to the gym Monday-Thursday and then when I inevitably fail in my good intentions Friday-Sunday I don't feel anywhere near as bad :)

i wish there were some less adequate posters on this thread....

I managed 25 minutes on the bike this morning to Hot Chips In our Heads album...sweating my tits off(hopefully)... ironically stopped just as Flutes started (possibly one of the very best 'pounding' tracks written...)

I was pretty happy with 25 minutes tbh..

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

I managed 25 minutes on the bike this morning to Hot Chips In our Heads album...sweating my tits off(hopefully)... ironically stopped just as Flutes started (possibly one of the very best 'pounding' tracks written...)

Dont worry ... I'm on this thread occasionally to lower the averages too :) 

43 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Definitely worth an upvote, BD!

Keep at it! Keep going! 

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

11 miles last Saturday, 10 tonight and plan to hit 12 on Saturday.

I’m at a stage now where I could run a half marathon pretty comfortably (I’ve ran them before) so I’m pretty much half way there in terms of marathon training.

Good work, Jassy! ?

Just done my treadmill miles: 8m in 52mins (so at 9mph). Not bad. 

16 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Definitely worth an upvote, BD!

Keep at it! Keep going! 

Cheers.!

the arthritic knees struggle at the best of times.. I need to get some fitness in me (and weight off me) to manage Glastonbury.. another year of the 2016 glud will do for me.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That’s bloody impressive. I run between 6 and 7 mph.

Treadmill is cheating / training innit. It does all the work for you really. 

I can’t run like that outside, i.e. proper running. 

It’s just too dark / dangerous to run round here mid-week along busy-ish country lanes with no pavements, street lighting or road markings. I’m not gonna risk it. 

Although I set the laptop up in front of the treadmill in the garage tonight and watched running films on YouTube while I ran! 

Felt guilty for skipping a long training last weekend, but tonight's track training did go really well. Might have been a useful break after a busy period. Based on heart rate and my app I should well have been able to go faster. Like I am finally back at the form I had a year ago. 5k park run coming Saturday as the next test.

Keep up the good work guys, also if it just feels like a struggle.

1 minute ago, StupidDream said:

Felt guilty for skipping a long training last weekend, but tonight's track training did go really well. Might have been a useful break after a busy period. Based on heart rate and my app I should well have been able to go faster. Like I am finally back at the form I had a year ago. 5k park run coming Saturday as the next test.

Keep up the good work guys, also if it just feels like a struggle.

And you SD!

3 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I am also here to bring the average down a bit, after a flurry of cycling, skating and extended dog walking, the last few weeks have been me sat on my arse at work and at home, slowly gaining mass, so dont worry :)

On 11/5/2018 at 9:50 AM, Superunknown said:

I used to do that routine, really fun as the sets don't tend to be too long but you can hit all major muscle groups twice in a cycle. I can't do it anymore as my gym is at work and I'm usually busy on weekends but it's a really good routine. I'm doing a PHUL routine atm and I'm seeing some decent results but after a day of work it's tiring. 

I am struggling at the moment though as I am doing chest and shoulders together after doing my chest I am failing to lift the weight I used to with my shoulders. I think I might alternate on my fist and third day between chest and shoulders first. What do you reckon? 

15 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I can't even walk beyond a mile at the moment - stop making me feel inadequate with your "25 minutes on a bike" bragging