Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

2 hours ago, StupidDream said:

What's your concern exactly? :P For GPS the proximity to the human world shouldn't really matter (mostly it's ability to connect to satellites), in this case it's not like your car's navigation system. You do have watches with navigation, but I wouldn't like to navigate while running... Maybe you can upload your route to the watch and providing you with some directions, but haven't looked into that. The Garmin 235 also records altitude, although I feel it's a bit exaggerated for the mostly flat area I run in.

If your concern (or from your relatives) is your isolation in case of emergency (which seems unlikely reading what you do :lol: ), you have all kinds of options with GPS trackers and panic buttons. Dunno if these are incorporated in some of the expensive watches.

I think I’ve been a Luddite in my post!

My concern was that I want my route tracked all the way and not weird interruptions in the data like Hugh mentioned he gets earlier.

So I guess it’s that reliability in a watch I’m after. 

36 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I think I’ve been a Luddite in my post!

My concern was that I want my route tracked all the way and not weird interruptions in the data like Hugh mentioned he gets earlier.

So I guess it’s that reliability in a watch I’m after. 

Ah, okay, never had such trouble :P We probably tend to fully trust and rely on our technology and expect it to work properly and extremely accurate. (You've to appreciate what's possible these days for consumer-friendly prices.) Unfortunately, it's a bit off sometimes, often you won't even notice it - but do get constant stream of data. GPS in my watch cuts some corners sometimes, but there's probably something I can do to improve this. It tracks your heart rate optically via your wrist, but a chest strap is more accurate (could buy it separately, often it comes with the watch). You can likely buy better watches than the Garmin 235 if you're willing to pay. Polar is also a good one, but don't know much about those, may not be great for daily (all-day) use. I would try to find the watch that performs the best for the type of running you're doing. Would definitely do some good, extensive research before buying. I doubted for months before buying :lol: 

51 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Ah, okay, never had such trouble :P We probably tend to fully trust and rely on our technology and expect it to work properly and extremely accurate. (You've to appreciate what's possible these days for consumer-friendly prices.) Unfortunately, it's a bit off sometimes, often you won't even notice it - but do get constant stream of data. GPS in my watch cuts some corners sometimes, but there's probably something I can do to improve this. It tracks your heart rate optically via your wrist, but a chest strap is more accurate (could buy it separately, often it comes with the watch). You can likely buy better watches than the Garmin 235 if you're willing to pay. Polar is also a good one, but don't know much about those, may not be great for daily (all-day) use. I would try to find the watch that performs the best for the type of running you're doing. Would definitely do some good, extensive research before buying. I doubted for months before buying :lol: 

Thanks SD! I think I probably just being a bit dim!

Thanks for all your help / info. 

43 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Glad to help. Didn't really expect to find several very fit guys here doing crazy distances on a regular basis, especially after reading how most of you seem to 'indulge' yourselves during festivals... :lol: I am not really made for long distances, so I usually don't do more than 10k or 10 miles. I do participate in quite a lot of local (competitive) races, about 2 a month on average. Hence I more focus on pace and running faster, than distance and running longer.  Can't see myself doing a marathon (or more), so I am really impressed with some of the distances mentioned here (although some guys do the same in my running group). Hope you can keep up the good work over the winter :) I hate running in snow... 

@Woffy I started out with a fuckbit surge. 2 years later and 3 replacements later I gave up on it and went to Garmin (645). Happy that the GPS is accurate and doesn’t drop out. Stats are interesting when viewed on the Garmin connect app but to be fair I only really want to know how far/how fast/ how long. Yeah it has garmin pay and shows text/ WhatsApp messages etc but I’m not that interested in that. I do like the sleep data it gives me but that’s just a novelty.

Years ago I had a Polar watch with a chest strap. They were good then so I bet they are the bees knees now. You do need to wear a chest strap with Polar but to be fair once you get used to it you barely notice it. 

I would say definitely choose one where you can change the strap ( one of the major flaws in fitbit surge) and read the reviews. Oh and garmin are about to release the new 245 so that means the 235 ,which is a great watch ,may well drop in price. 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

@Woffy I started out with a fuckbit surge. 2 years later and 3 replacements later I gave up on it and went to Garmin (645). Happy that the GPS is accurate and doesn’t drop out. Stats are interesting when viewed on the Garmin connect app but to be fair I only really want to know how far/how fast/ how long. Yeah it has garmin pay and shows text/ WhatsApp messages etc but I’m not that interested in that. I do like the sleep data it gives me but that’s just a novelty.

Years ago I had a Polar watch with a chest strap. They were good then so I bet they are the bees knees now. You do need to wear a chest strap with Polar but to be fair once you get used to it you barely notice it. 

I would say definitely choose one where you can change the strap ( one of the major flaws in fitbit surge) and read the reviews. Oh and garmin are about to release the new 245 so that means the 235 ,which is a great watch ,may well drop in price. 

Excellent stuff. Thanks - as always - Dee! 

Also:

’Fuckbit’!!! ?

4 hours ago, Woffy said:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1945618795#kudos

Some good advice from SD.

Click on the Strava link above and you'll see how accurate a Garmin is most of the time. Mine is a Garmin Fenix 3 which is fairly expensive but would be good for all types of running and has an excellent battery life. You can also use it for cycling.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Woffy said:

Another mostly cross country 13 miler early this morning. Soaked. Didn’t wear my ultra vest / take my phone / use my app which was nice. 

Any recommendations on a decent, not too complicated watch to record running data anyone? 

What’s best: Garmin?

Looked online and it’s all too baffling. 

Mine's a TomTom Multisport, a few years old so probably an updated model available by now. They're not as technically good as the Garmins, but priced accordingly.

Does running (indoor and outdoor), cycling (I've also got the extra gizmos to track cadence, plus distance if you're using a turbo trainer) and swimming. GPS is pretty good, never had the issues with drop out that Hugh mentioned and it's done some long rides in the middle of nowhere and gave me accurate tracking when we walked the Brecons.

Battery life for a single continuous track is about 11 hours. Does zone settings for pace, HR, speed and a couple of others  and can also program interval training. HR is reasonably accurate, but can drop out.

Only real issue I have is the TomTom app. Dogshit. But once it's in there it uploads straight to Strava.

Think Mrs Q paid about 150 notes for it as a Xmas pressie a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Travis Tee said:

Just started a six day rolling programme of push, pull, legs, rest, push, pull, legs, rest

Hope to get stronger not sure I will add much mass as I am nearly 60, altered my diet as well and tracking everything I eat

I used to do that routine, really fun as the sets don't tend to be too long but you can hit all major muscle groups twice in a cycle. I can't do it anymore as my gym is at work and I'm usually busy on weekends but it's a really good routine. I'm doing a PHUL routine atm and I'm seeing some decent results but after a day of work it's tiring. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’s a place down in Blackheath that’s good if a little expensive. Failing that there are a few decent places in Welling.

Which would you recommend? I'm nearer BH than Wellin'.

(I see there is also curry chat in the Headliners thread, surely it is more suited to this thread?)

12 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Which would you recommend? I'm nearer BH than Wellin'.

(I see there is also curry chat in the Headliners thread, surely it is more suited to this thread?)

Taste of Raj opposite the church in Blackheath Village is nice but expensive.

We can't be too far apart from each other, I'm just beyond the Sun in the Sands up towards Shooters Hill.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Taste of Raj opposite the church in Blackheath Village is nice but expensive.

We can't be too far apart from each other, I'm just beyond the Sun in the Sands up towards Shooters Hill.

Cheers - it must be about the only BH one I've not been in! I'll give it a go.  

(I'm down the hill in Lee, not far from Sainsbury's, so Spice of Life on Lee High Rd is my local).

@Woffy you shouldn't expect to lose GPS unless you're running in places that don't have good visibility to the sky, like underground or in dense forest. I've also got one of the TomTom things Quark mentions, was about £70 when I got it, but the newer models are a bit more sophisticated than they were and a bit more expensive now. Either way, I'd wait a couple of weeks for the Black Friday deals.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:53 PM, Woffy said:

Another mostly cross country 13 miler early this morning. Soaked. Didn’t wear my ultra vest / take my phone / use my app which was nice. 

Any recommendations on a decent, not too complicated watch to record running data anyone? 

What’s best: Garmin?

Looked online and it’s all too baffling. 

I use the Runkeeper app on my phone. Pretty nice.

tracks your route, distance, times, elevation, splits, conditions, how you felt, footwear etc.

Also gives you commentary (choose a sexy voice or gruff drill sergeant type) lets you set challenges, change exercise type etc.

Edited by John the Moth
Detail

1 hour ago, RichardWaller said:

As I type I'm drinking an avocado, spinach, banana and almond milk smoothie out of a Staropramen glass. The 20-something me wouldn't recognise the 30-something me.

off to google a staropramen glass - this 40 something has no idea what one is, but sounds impressive so well done, and BTW the smoothie sounds lush

ha ha ha brilliant , just googled and realised its a beer - brilliant, there was me thinking it was some healthy glass container with hidden health benefits :-)

Edited by Funkyfairy!

13 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

ha ha ha brilliant , just googled and realised its a beer - brilliant, there was me thinking it was some healthy glass container with hidden health benefits ?

:lol:

Gearing up for a training walk on Saturday, hitting a 15-20 miler on the South Downs Way with loaded bergen.  Prepping for this bad boy on 5th Jan...

http://thefandancerace.com/

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

off to google a staropramen glass - this 40 something has no idea what one is, but sounds impressive so well done, and BTW the smoothie sounds lush

ha ha ha brilliant , just googled and realised its a beer - brilliant, there was me thinking it was some healthy glass container with hidden health benefits ?

Little bit of maple syrup or honey is a nice touch, it’s nicer than it looks..

If beer had hidden health benefits I wouldn’t be in this thread!

Was inspired by this thread to pick up running again (after dropping off during last festival season) - grabbed a new pair of Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Utility at the weekend and hit up a slow 5k last night.. (nothing compared to half of you on here!) but set myself a goal to get back to 10k as standard by December. New years plan is to train for the Hackney Half (20th May) and then taper off a little leading up to the festival - keep the inspiration coming guys and girls...

Decided to mix some hills into tonights run, why I chose to do this on such a dark, wet and windy night I do not know. I discovered I do not like hills, specifically running up them, but I enjoyed the run over all. It was a slow and hard 6 miler but I’m sure it’ll help strengthen my legs for the next one!