Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

On 10/10/2018 at 8:30 PM, deebeedoobee said:

I feel your pain! Been there ,done that. Sorted now ,but for 18 months it was a killer.

preventative measures now keep it at bay. Touch wood I’ve been pain free for a couple of years.

I think I have this, it hurts sometimes during exercise and sometimes after. Like in the arch of my foot and heel.

When it was really bad I'd wake up in the morning and couldnt walk. Although it's getting better.

Something for me to keep an eye on as we get close.

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Which Ultra did you do Joey? This is my next goal. I'm all about the trails.

My current route - did  I mention I've moved house? Just outside Andover and that little bit closer to the farm - is on the Test way and Brenda Parker way around Andover. Check it out on plotaroute, with the 'paths' setting on.

It was the Imber Ultra - http://www.imber-ultra.org/

It was the first time i'd ever ran further than a half marathon distance (even in training!)

I figured if I ran slower than i would for 13.1 miles then I should be able to get around.

It was awesome, well organised and some of the views were breathtaking.

Completed it in 5 hours 56 mins. It's only a small race (capped at 150 entries) in the grand scheme of things but you get a really cool locally handmade mug when you finish which if i'm honest kept me going towards the end :lol:

13 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It was the Imber Ultra - http://www.imber-ultra.org/

It was the first time i'd ever ran further than a half marathon distance (even in training!)

I figured if I ran slower than i would for 13.1 miles then I should be able to get around.

It was awesome, well organised and some of the views were breathtaking.

Completed it in 5 hours 56 mins. It's only a small race (capped at 150 entries) in the grand scheme of things but you get a really cool locally handmade mug when you finish which if i'm honest kept me going towards the end :lol:

Bloody hell, that's great going! Decent time. Well done! I'll have a look after work, thanks.

If you wanna watch some decent (USA) ultra running films check out on YouTube The Ginger Runner (Ethan Newberry), esp. Where Dream Go To Die and Billy Yang, esp. Life In A Day...plus all their others. Great stuff. There's also a great one on Jim Walmsley and the Western States 100.

13 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

So long as you feel good in yourself, the BMI isn't really relevant. I have a few mates who are overweight by BMI standards but their muscle mass is what's put it over.

I'm going by the BMI scale because my muscle mass isn't the best and it works for myself.

Nowadays, waist size seem to be the more important/relevant measure in terms of health, as this is better correlated with issues like heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Upper limits for adults: 94 cm/37 inches (male), 80 cm/31,5 inches (female). 

I myself just have to survive the winter, condition is okay (frequent runner), but too often become ill and lose it, or hide myself behind piles of snow or cold rain... Could also do with some exercise for my back, always killing me after a few festival days.

51 minutes ago, Divein said:

I think I have this, it hurts sometimes during exercise and sometimes after. Like in the arch of my foot and heel.

When it was really bad I'd wake up in the morning and couldnt walk. Although it's getting better.

Something for me to keep an eye on as we get close.

Manage mine by using orthotic inner soles in all shoes ( don’t go for ones especially made for you,Amazon ones are fine. There are studies to show this). Even my flip flops have a shaped footbed. I found summer the worst because of the amount of time I spent barefoot. If it flairs up I have a coke bottle in the freezer and roll it under my foot for a few minutes. Plus stand on the bottom step and stretch up and down. All these help keep things ticking along nicely.

Been on a healthy eating thing since the start of September and have lost nearly a stone since then. Another stone and a half and I’ll reach my target weight. Hopefully before June next year!

Before last year’s festival, I went on hour and a half walks with the dog to try and prepare. Worked a treat and I was fine for the 5 days.

Looked back my fitness stats for last year - did Radiohead/ Arcadia/ SE corner on the Friday night....

1891F7F4-6B14-4230-AF2E-772AEB38CA42.jpeg

Fitness is never a problem for me, I work part-time as a class instructor at the the gym, plus I run, so I've got a decent level of fitness. The huge queue in the heat did nearly destroy me last year though! The problem I have is being on my feet for 16+ hours a day. Spending all day sat down in an office, I'm just not used to it. By Sunday my feet are killing me. 

Did try some insoles last year, but not sure they made much difference. Not sure whether it's worth investing in better ones.

2 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Are we talking mental fitness as well as physical fitness here, or is that maybe better for another thread?

For me they are very linked - if I do less physical activity I get very low.  Also works that if I start to get very low, I cannot motivate myself to get out and exercise... possibly a bit of a simplistic take on mental health for most, but I am hoping that a sustained increase in activity with a series of milestones leading up to glasto will at least mitigate my tendency to spiral downwards.

I need to get fit and the festival may well be a good target.

I reckon I need to lose 1.5 stone and get just fitter

I have stopped smoking this year and did say I would do a 5 mile santa dash at xmas. So in August I started running to build myself up. Unfortunately this messed up my Achilles (which stopped my football many years ago). Then whilst that was still in pain I did a 20 mile charity walk, which due to Achilles I wore the wrong trainers. This meant both my big toes swelled up and popped both toenails out, so that was a further 2 weeks in agony waiting for them to fall off. So now they are gone and I will look at maybe getting running shoes and try the running again with much better warm up for the Achilles.

Might have to go back to the Gym (shudder) and also thinking of taking up Yoga.

Shall be watching the thread for any tips and to keep me going

On 10/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, Woffy said:

And by not doing too much too soon just kept increasing my distances. Then got more into hydrating and nutrition properly. And bought an ultra vest to carry all my gibbons in. 

Why Gibbons? I tried this with Barbary Apes but struggled with it, mainly due to lack of availability of the creatures in these parts. And they kept stealing my bananas

How many do you have, did they enjoy it?

4 hours ago, Kay95 said:

For me they are very linked - if I do less physical activity I get very low.  Also works that if I start to get very low, I cannot motivate myself to get out and exercise... possibly a bit of a simplistic take on mental health for most, but I am hoping that a sustained increase in activity with a series of milestones leading up to glasto will at least mitigate my tendency to spiral downwards.

Oh aye definite overlap, just crap when you feel like you haven’t got the energy to exercise at all.

2 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Cheers I’ll have a look at that later.

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

Why Gibbons? I tried this with Barbary Apes but struggled with it, mainly due to lack of availability of the creatures in these parts. And they kept stealing my bananas

How many do you have, did they enjoy it?

Gibbons are like Gubbins but after two of those new 750ml 8% Birra Morettis! ?

I've been saying I need to get fit for next Glasto since my first one in 2004! I really don't like exercising, but I've been doing parkrun occasionally for the last 2 years. Not sure 5km every other week is going to be enough though (especially as my local one is entirely flat), but it's a start.

17 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I’m really jealous of all the running talk on here. I’ve got a knee injury that I think is IT band syndrome and I’ve been unable to run for 6 weeks now. Tried this week and knee pain came back after 8 minutes :-(. I’m absolutely gutted.

ITBS is easy enough to fix. Foam roller and a few exercises and you'll be ok in a week. 

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Whatever I may have said about fitness, I reserve the right to say that rugby is a bloody silly idea. Ouch.

:lol:. My hubby 46 gets asked to play for the veterans side every now and then, have to remind him if he plays I ain't listening to him whinge all week about his pains and stud marks (get out the way then is the sympathy he gets for that one)