Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Me!! I haven't got a goal as such....just a (desired but not necessarily obtained) gym class schedule. Keep threatening to give up cider until then too but that clearly ain't happening....and if it does I imagine a very close negative correlation with my wine intake.

So I dunno...a goal. Urm....get to a point where I'm brave enough to wear a sequinned crop top?? I'd say hotpants but I have eight months to play with not a fucking time machine :lol:

Start running. 

I started after being inspired by @runroblarun off twitter and here.

I started in April and couldn’t run a mile. 

I ran a solo 26.5 miles on Sunday.

Its addictive, relatively cheap, gets you out of the house and gets you fit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Northern Soul said:

Was there an unsavoury incident??

Yeah a couple.  Over the past year I've had 3 brain surgeries and a surgery to repair my nose (but it should be all over now, final surgery was last wednesday). 

Been a shit year and I'm so glad I got glasto tickets.

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Start running. 

Blimey. Good work, Woffy. Most impressive. 

I'll just step up the walking closer to the festival. Always detested running, even as a kid, I have zero desire to start now.

I might get my feet looked at, I can walk for miles with no adverse effect other than my bloody feet killing me. 

2 minutes ago, Fast Drones said:

Yeah a couple.  Over the past year I've had 3 brain surgeries and a surgery to repair my nose (but it should be all over now, final surgery was last wednesday). 

OMG! I'm glad you got one too in that case!

I should probably get some upper body strength. Carrying my stuff to and from the car at Green Man and EotR this year was a big challenge, and the walks were on no gradient and less distance than the Glastonbury walk. Legs are absolutely fine with it, but arms, shoulders and back nearly all caved in.

Probably won't bother doing anything about it tbh.

2 minutes ago, Fast Drones said:

Bloody hell?. Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope you’re “A1” for the festival. Have a good one?

11 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Start running. 

Now you’re inspiring us!

how did you get started? Join a running club? Do the 5km park runs? Do the couch to 5km or 10km apps?

I did a 5km without training and just managed it without keeling over, now starting a very beginner running club but it’s hard to make time with a busy family life and new baby.

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I’ll be on the fitness bus this year for Glastonbury. Got a World Cup and test series summer of lager to lose.

Plus my back has been killing me the last 2 festivals so need to start building up some proper core strength 

Good idea, what’s the best exercise to build up rucksack full of booze carrying muscles? 

Need to start building up some strength to make the initial coach slog a lot easier than it was last time I went.

I've also largely quit the ciggies this past summer (just the odd cheeky stress one when offered!) so hoping to cut them out once and for all (along with the vape) ASAP so I'm not tempted during the actual festival as I was getting out of breath far too often in 2016!

Edited by Johnkhutch

13 minutes ago, Fast Drones said:

Congrats on the final surgery. Here’s to glasto next year and finalising the recovery 

27 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

OMG! I'm glad you got one too in that case!

25 minutes ago, Northern Soul said:

Bloody hell?. Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope you’re “A1” for the festival. Have a good one?

16 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Congrats on the final surgery. Here’s to glasto next year and finalising the recovery 

thanks all x 

34 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Blimey. Good work, Woffy. Most impressive. 

I'll just step up the walking closer to the festival. Always detested running, even as a kid, I have zero desire to start now.

I might get my feet looked at, I can walk for miles with no adverse effect other than my bloody feet killing me. 

Cheers. 

Theres every chance I might eat 4 Magnums tonight though, after finding them in the back of the freezer just now. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Fast Drones said:

Bloody hell dude. Get fully well again soon. 

After having a lung removed earlier this year, and subsequent complications I certainly need to focus on building strength and fitness. Unfortunately other stuff going on is limiting what I can achieve right now. So frustrating. I know next year will have to be a very different one for me, though I should be able to take advantage of the disabled shortcuts at least.

Another one who can't wait for 2018 to do one....though the older I get I seem to say that every year!

29 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Now you’re inspiring us!

how did you get started? Join a running club? Do the 5km park runs? Do the couch to 5km or 10km apps?

I did a 5km without training and just managed it without keeling over, now starting a very beginner running club but it’s hard to make time with a busy family life and new baby.

None of that Morphy. 

Just decided to go for a run one day ( after following Rob’s Incredifuckinable Forrest Gump Run) and see how far I could go. 

And by not doing too much too soon just kept increasing my distances. Then got more into hydrating and nutrition properly. And bought an ultra vest to carry all my gibbons in. 

Next goal - 50k / 31 miles. 

Mots a cliche, but the hardest bit is for I g yourself to leave the house and start.