Food

FuzzyDunlop

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, karaseen said:

Speaking of pizza - in croissant neuf near the path just before the railway track is a pizza tent that does vegan and non-vegan pizzas that are fantastic.  Nice little seating area. I always make friends in there.  Its next to the stall that does those mosaic mirrors, which is a fun place to browse in late at night if you want to see your face melt. But it looks pretty.

Pizza Tabun - Best pizza on site (in my opinion).  REally quick turn around, nicely cooked and never burned black underneath (unlike some others).  I think they may have took a break this year from festivals, as they were not at End of the Road, and they have always held the same spot for years.  Hopefully they will return to both next year.

I've been banging on about the jerk chicken place near the Bread and Roses for years but the name wouldn't stick in my head. I finally took note in '17 - it's Uptown Catering. They do a lovely saucy jerk and it's the mutt's nuts. I ate there 3 times in '17 to make up for the fallow year. They also had cans of Old Jamaica ginger beer and Ting for £1.

3 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

Pizza Tabun - Best pizza on site (in my opinion).  REally quick turn around, nicely cooked and never burned black underneath (unlike some others).  I think they may have took a break this year from festivals, as they were not at End of the Road, and they have always held the same spot for years.  Hopefully they will return to both next year.

I also think its the best on site - the wood fired place by Williams Green is good but there's no where to sit.  Funny I've been eating at Pizza Tabun for years and never knew the name! Thanks!

5 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

Oh dear God no I'll be devastated if those guys aren't there next year. Combined with the Tiny Tea Tent - these places have prevented certain death for years

5 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I've been banging on about the jerk chicken place near the Bread and Roses for years but the name wouldn't stick in my head. I finally took note in '17 - it's Uptown Catering. They do a lovely saucy jerk and it's the mutt's nuts. I ate there 3 times in '17 to make up for the fallow year. They also had cans of Old Jamaica ginger beer and Ting for £1.

Sadly they don't do bammy bread, but I got an extra large helping of everything just for knowing what it was and asking for it! Lovely stuff there as well. Staggered out there a few times after Land of the Giants to sweep up whatever they've got left to sell :)

EDIT - din't know they had Ting there as well.  That is a fantastic shout!

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

Don't believe the stall that claims 'Voted Best Hog Roast', it was voted for by idiots.

I would mention that their "voted" sign used to have a year specified on it, which was either 2003 or 2004 so it's probably a bit cheeky to still be proclaiming it..

However, for my taste, I'd still consider them (The Whole Hog) to be comfortably the best Hog Roast on the circuit, and I've tried a fair few at this point.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:15 AM, Skoo said:

Anywhere that does a decent pasta? Sometimes in life you just want a buttery, slippery, salty carb that requires minimal chewing, ideally covered in some kind of delicious sauce.

Pilton Pasta of course. Somewhere along the stretch of shops near the bottom of the kids field IIRC. All profits go to Children's Hospice.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:01 AM, karaseen said:

Speaking of pizza - in croissant neuf near the path just before the railway track is a pizza tent that does vegan and non-vegan pizzas that are fantastic.  Nice little seating area. I always make friends in there.  Its next to the stall that does those mosaic mirrors, which is a fun place to browse in late at night if you want to see your face melt. But it looks pretty.

11 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

261C5D62-36CE-4DD0-BF8B-B260E4C111C1.thumb.jpeg.60a359bd4f1921c77d8667e466919c3f.jpegAhem... Thats what I’m talking about...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mardy said:

In all the years i’ve been going to festivals, i’ve never had a pizza. Always looks like the food with the biggest mark up/least value. 

Agreed!

and the hardest to make well in a field compared to what you can get in a decent restaurant. You can move in leeds for decent wood fired pizza now.

Also find that pizza stalls at most fests have the longest ques! not for me.

One of my staples are cheese truck (they move about but last time one in acoustic, one in shangri la) best grilled cheese you will get. The goats cheese, honey and walnut variety is quite something.

i have started to make my own breakfast at camp as we are usually in bushy ground and there is nothing good nearby. Plus saves money. Where exactly is no bones jones? as it looks like I need to hit this up judging by the volume of recommendations.

A nice double-up last time was the crumpets place previously mentioned near Avalon and the english fruit wine stall a bit further up. Takes some finding as is a bit off the beaten track but a nice alcoholic change of pace.

The burger place in Block 9 (that replaced the once mighty Voodoo Rays aka the only pizza worth buying) is called "burger bear". 

Generally speaking i think value is getting worse and worse with more places offering smaller portions that just dont fill you. It is sometimes worth spending £9 and getting a big feed rather than £6 for something small that doesnt fill you. But the lower price always seems to appeal to me and I keep making the same mistakes. Its probably the festival's fault for charging too much for a pitch.

Food at glastonbury is just like the music really, you've to wade through a lot of average and poor stuff to find the gems.

I expect a lot will have shifted round or won't be there anymore, there seems to be quite a bit of turnover year on year with places either booted out for getting too big or some just calling it a day or changing hands. It will certainly be interesting to see whats on offer this time around! 

Edited by Memory Man

I haven't had Ghandi's Flip Flop at Glastonbury I don't think but had it at Bearded Theory.  I like my food and don't leave it, in that I can usually demolish anything put in front of me.  But 3/4 of the way through the mixed plate, I was struggling.  It was huge.  I carried on, because I am not beaten.  I thought I was going to throw up due to the sheer quantity of food supplied.  For about £8.  Brilliant food and fantastic value. But make sure you are really hungry!

7 hours ago, SighMo said:

I lived off of  this and the Goan Fish Curry at Green Man and EotR festivals this year. For an extra quid they add a big onion bajhi. Hope they're at Glasto.

MIRREN-ROSIE_DOSA-DELI_SOMERSET-HOUSE_009_2700x1800-1024x683.jpg

Dosa-Deli-stall-at-Glastonbury-2014.png

These are good, I think they're near Williams green.

10 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I haven't had Ghandi's Flip Flop at Glastonbury I don't think but had it at Bearded Theory.  I like my food and don't leave it, in that I can usually demolish anything put in front of me.  But 3/4 of the way through the mixed plate, I was struggling.  It was huge.  I carried on, because I am not beaten.  I thought I was going to throw up due to the sheer quantity of food supplied.  For about £8.  Brilliant food and fantastic value. But make sure you are really hungry!

Can I just ask that you don't go near GFF until after New York Brass Band? :D

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Always make room for cake... probably on Sunday afternoon...

B5164EA3-278F-4171-A727-C56E1F4A54FA.thumb.jpeg.18d3edf3774d6731694fb1c1974ca050.jpeg

Any time is a good time for cake.  I'm a particular fan of cake and either tea or coffee (depending on time, mood and of course the cake) post-main stages closing and last thing at about 5 in the morning sat outside my tent before bed :)

21 hours ago, Quark said:

Sadly they don't do bammy bread, but I got an extra large helping of everything just for knowing what it was and asking for it! Lovely stuff there as well. Staggered out there a few times after Land of the Giants to sweep up whatever they've got left to sell :)

EDIT - din't know they had Ting there as well.  That is a fantastic shout!

Lovely lady handed me my jerk and then advised me it might be best if I avoided the hot sauces on the right in the add-ons. She was right the "mild" ones were pretty lethal.

Great food.