Food

FuzzyDunlop

Like the OP, I really look forward to the food and have great intentions to try loads of different places, unfortunately the reality is I normally miss breakfast, have a half decent lunch and then I'm generally so pissed later on quality doesn’t come into into it. So I essentially have maybe 4/5 good meals from decent places at most. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Much like Smallpox, The Growler has no place in modern society. 

Its 2018 for fucks sake. 

Whilst you are absolutely correct, there was no other way to celebrate getting tickets on Sunday than to manufacture these bad boys:

Stomach is still recovering.

43376075_2210100822612369_7908210942960205824_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

What about the bread place up by the Greenpeace field? Can never remember what its proper name is, but a big old wodge of their pesto (I think) focaccia was something else.

Anywhere new that has an entertaining or pun-based name always gets a look in.  It's the same principle as trying new ale, always go for one that has the best name :)

To avoid, any of the noodle places really.  I've yet to find one that isn't overly greasy and just full of overly-flavoured sauces. Like they're trying to hide the fact they're a bit shit.

And this will be heresy to many, but Le Grand Bouffe.....no thanks.  Just don't get the love for it. It's the White Stripes of food stands for me.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ah fucking hell puns! Puns are my weak point. In the past I've made life changing decision solely on the basis of puns and I'll probably do it again in future.

Perfectly acceptable way to live your life.  Smoking Buns would have had my attention like a shot.

The only time I've wished I'd bred was when a children's shoe shop opened up near where I worked called "Lillifoot". I had no excuse to go in there.

I miss the Mr Toastie van, it used to be where the stupid hat stalls are now, just by the rotating workers sculpture thing in williams green.

Yes, there is a new upstart, the royal mail themed one thats just up a bit near the kids field entrance, but it's just not the same. Still buy one every day though. Cheese and onion, in two bits of bread. Never fails.

Edited by paulshane

Is Annie Mae's Mac really that good?  I had it once and thought it was shit. Seemed to be made with powdered cheese.  Maybe I'll give it another go.

I would also recommend the Vegan Burger van - called Veggies - right at the start of the green futures fields. I'm not a vegan but they are delicious and only 5.50 - loads of grilled onions and you put your own condiments on.  They have aioli! 

13 minutes ago, karaseen said:

I would also recommend the Vegan Burger van - called Veggies - right at the start of the green futures fields. I'm not a vegan but they are delicious and only 5.50 - loads of grilled onions and you put your own condiments on.  They have aioli! 

I agree. For a vegiburger they are excellent and just across the drag from our place. Worth noting that they open well before the festival gates open (possibly on the Monday evening? ) and stay open all day on the Monday after as well.

14 minutes ago, karaseen said:

Feels unadventurous to be eating a burger when there's so much on offer, but this place is the very last word in burgers.

19 minutes ago, karaseen said:

Is Annie Mae's Mac really that good?  I had it once and thought it was shit. Seemed to be made with powdered cheese.  Maybe I'll give it another go.

No, I think you got it broadly right. I find it's fine for the first couple bites, but then exceptionally bland and samey.

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

As i said on another thread the other day, I have a rule that I'm only allowed to visit each food stall once. Gets me out of my Goan Fish kedgeree/aussie steak sandwich/other stage pad thai rut. Also makes me look around a bit more. Lots of places start off good but rest on their laurels after a few years. 

Once per festival, or once ever?

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Elvis Juice is grapefruit, that's one of your five a day, see? No Bones Jones is my religion, that stuff is incredible. For Indian food, Ghandi's Flip Flop is a final night tradition at both Glastonbury and Green Man for me. Big fucking mountain of food, you have to leave it right until the end because you'll need to spend the whole of the next day sitting down just digesting the bugger.

That’s true, it’s basically a healthy fruit smoothie to wash down the goodness! Although I’ve been aware of it, I’ve never actually tried Ghandi’s Flip Flop, must change that next year. 

I would like to go vegan but I don’t think I’d hack it, I don’t want to live in a world without cheese.

1 minute ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I would like to go vegan but I don’t think I’d hack it, I don’t want to live in a world without cheese.

I was once saw things as you did.

Having said that, I had some dairy-free cheese on a crumpet with pickle for breakfast this morning, and I'm making mac and cheese, where the cheese is made of flour, oil, almond milk, butternut squash, and nutritional yeast, for tea tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, karaseen said:

I also keep meaning to try Ghandi's Flip Flop, but once I get there I'm terrified of a curry.  It combined with Brothers Pear sounds like a recipe for disaster.

In all honesty I reckon I could crap out an entire intestine after a Flip Flop and still not regret having it.

Fuck's sake, I was going to stay off here and get some work done today, then somebody starts a food thread...

A garlic guzzler burger has saved my life many times. Sometimes only a dirty burger will do. 

We thought grand bouffe had gone downhill the last couple of years, potatoes not cooked properly and portions reduced.

Love Paella, Le rac shack, goan fish curry.