Tips & Advice for 1st timers!

benji08

Hi!

Just wanted to start a new thread for 1st timers like myself and probably a lot of others who might just be reading this forum. For various reasons, mainly wanting to explore as many European festivals as possible over the years, this is my first time I've managed to get tickets! Travelling with another 4, all newbies as well. Just hoping some more experienced Glasto goers could help with some general tips and best advice, e.g. best time to arrive? best place to camp?...and anything else that comes to mind :)

I know it's early but I like to be as well prepared as possible!

Cheers

Ben

Edited by benji08

Hang around here for the next 8 months and contribute to the forums and you will learn everything you need to know .... there will be threads  on the subjects mentioned ... there is no right or wrong ... but dont camp right next to a long drop or urinal !! The earlier you arrive the more likely you are to be able to camp in some of the busier more central areas of the site ... but these aren't for everyone and there will always be space somewhere .... dont  get to hung up about where you are ... its how you interact with neighbours thats more important and will make the festival more fun ... I will always offer a cider if I can or a hand with a tent if they are struggling ... and then you have added security just to keep an eye at times :) ... and there is a wealth of knowledge on here :) 

• Upvote 1

Arrival Time:

Completely depends on your preferences. Some people like to arrive in the car parks in the early hours before gates open and queue through the night, I hear it's a good party atmosphere and a good way to start the fest, I also think it's dangerous to start a five day bender with no sleep at the outset.

If you're not doing the car park queue route then the early morning coach arrivals are probably your best option of getting through the gates the quickest. Some of the coaches also have a good atmosphere with the excitement building as you close in on the fest and this is my preferred arrival option.

A lot of people also decide to try and avoid the queuing all together by arriving from midday Wednesday on wards with the hope of just strolling in. Whilst in theory this works, if there are traffic issues (2016) then is doesn't guarantee an easy entrance. Again a decent enough option if you don't mind sacrificing the 'closest to the action' camping spots.

Arrival time:

we stay in Wells, (10 minutes away)  then head to the festival 9 am . we are normally in by midday , 2017 was manic with extra searches and so on . we were in by 2pm I seem to recall. we tend to camp away from everything so no major rush to bag a close camp site. we are old and like to be away from all the youth ;-)

I guess my best advice would be don’t plan every second of every day. Wander and discover new things. That’s my favourite part, after all the years I’ve been I still encounter something new. Jealous it’s your first year, there’s nothing quite like seeing it for the first time 

• Like 1

Go into the experience like it could be your last Glastonbury!

Don't linger at one stage for a long time, explore all the craft fields and chat with people there.

Explore the different food options available, don't just go for a burger and chips!

And as everyone will tell you, first night, about 5/6pm head up to the Glastonbury sign and sit and watch the world go by.

God I love this festival! 

2 hours ago, benji08 said:

Hi!

Just wanted to start a new thread for 1st timers like myself and probably a lot of others who might just be reading this forum. For various reasons, mainly wanting to explore as many European festivals as possible over the years, this is my first time I've managed to get tickets! Travelling with another 4, all newbies as well. Just hoping some more experienced Glasto goers could help with some general tips and best advice, e.g. best time to arrive? best place to camp?...and anything else that comes to mind :)

I know it's early but I like to be as well prepared as possible!

Cheers

Ben

It's rubbish, don't go. When your tickets arrive it would be best to send them to me. I will suffer for you. Can't be fairer than that. ?

7 minutes ago, Wakey321 said:

Go into the experience like it could be your last Glastonbury!

This. With the current state of the ticketing system, you never know when you’ll next get to go. Although at the same time don’t be too downhearted when you get home on Monday lunchtime and realise how much of the festival you didn’t see, that’s perfectly normal.

My other tip would be don’t feel like you have to stay up all night either. Yes the nightlife is incredible and has to be seen to be believed but Worthy Farm is a big old place and trekking around it for 12 hours for five days in a row isn’t easy, so if by Friday you’re already struggling, go to bed!

13 minutes ago, CaravanMan said:

Eat all of the food! Half-Man-Half-Burger (near the John Peel stage) is a particular favourite amongst our group, as is the Goan Fish Curry (near West Holts stage). I could list thirty more...so much good grub on site ?

I only buy food at Glastonbury, chew a little bit then decide that to chew is bloody hard work. I then pass to a chum who also has severe chewing issues, they then pass to another friend and etc etc. 

Don't eat, it's bad for you. ?

Don't listen to people telling you how to do it.

Have your own experience, don't replicate others. Wander, get lost, get confused, have a sit down, have a bit more of a wander, it'll be fine.

Don't read any lists telling you the things you simply must do. Fuck that. Just get there and see what happens.

And go to the efests meet on the Weds

• Upvote 1

6 times and I've still not had a Goan fish curry. I really should address that this year, but there's something about seafood at a festival that gives me the heebie jeebies. Not helped when one of my mates picked up a tuna baguette very late in the day at Benicassim and nearly turned himself inside out with the worst case of explosive food poisoning I've ever seen. His own fault, but still...

But back to the original question. Don't be afraid of watching a band you've never heard of.

As other people have said, a lot is down to personal preference.

Except - USE THE LOCK-UPS!  They are big marquees where you can (for free) put anything in for safe storage.  So, as soon as you've set up camp, keep some money for a day or so and put everything else into a lock up.  You can go and get it whenever you like (they're open 24 hours a day) to get some money out but it protects from dropping all your cash when you're buying a drink or someone going through your tent when you're out enjoying yourself (yes it does happen, someone went through my tent the first time but didn't find anything worth nicking).

Also worth putting your car keys, house keys, return train ticket, etc in there. If you're short on space you can also put your trolleys, pushchair rucksack, anything you like in there.

You really don't want your festival ruined by losing all your money or your car keys!

• Upvote 4