For Those Who Have Missed Out In The Past ...

st dan

For those that have missed out in the past ..   

68 members have voted

1. 1. What is worse ..

• Missing the build up / anticipation?
    • Missing the festival itself?

I missed out on 2016 (by choice - returned tickets when I realised funds wouldn’t stretch) and I have to say I really missed the build up. The five days itself were bearable - I just wrote them off and avoided everything. 

But... the rumours, the build, the webcam, the announcements, the booking of the finer details, the countdown... all of these things are as exciting to me as anything else. 

I'd really miss the build up. I realise this is a totally weird thing to say, but I can turn into a right Glastobore, I love the planning, the speculation, the poring over maps, completely pointless weather predicting, catching with the you tube highlights of festivals past to heighten the anticipation. It's like I have something to look forward to months on end, I just absolutely love it.

I've stayed clear of here mostly when not going. Watching Friday Radiohead at home, had something in my eye. The years we've missed in recent years, I find watching it on the TV has been very painful, until Sunday, when you are grateful it's almost over and have come to terms with not being there. Have actually enjoyed seeing some of the Sunday stuff sat at home or out in the garden.

18 minutes ago, Charm said:

Neil set up a page checker last time that sent a notification when the sale page changed, think it would of really helped if the sale actually happened.

Charm x

Just looked a Follow That Page. I’m not techy enough to understand how to set it up ?

I've been really lucky, 2015 is the only year I've tried and failed to get a ticket. Ideally I wouldn't have missed any since my first in 2002, but 2015 aside the ones that I've missed I accepted I was missing before the sale, either couldn't afford it, bad timing, had other shit going on, wasn't in the right place etc.

Suppose it helps that I'm a pessimist anyway, every sale I know there's probably half a dozen people after the same ticket as me so I'm not expecting to get one. Didn't try at all 2017, didn't get anywhere near the holding page this year or for 2016, but been sorted out by other people both times. As much as I love the place and have had some of the best times of my life there, it's not a heartbreaker for me not to get tickets - it's been such a privilege to have been there at all.

EDIT:

Oh and I voted for the build up and anticipation. I've got butterflies in my stomach now just thinking about it, not knowing what we're getting. 

Edited by RichardWaller

After failing to get tickets every year since 2011 (poor effort I know) I managed to bag a ticket in 2016 and Glastonbury blew my mind. I thought I was obsessed before I attended, little did i realize what it would do to me .

Again I missed out in 2017 and tried to replace it with Wilderness Festival and as good as it was I could not help but think "it's not Glasto though" the entire time I was there.

I've missed out again for 2019 tickets and I'm now a fully broken man however still determined to go somehow! The build up, anticipation, relentlessly watching vlogs and performances on youtube from previous years, seeing all line up rumors still fills me with an immense buzz even when not attending. But being there with the thousands of other amazing joyous people and having the greatest time you could possible have, you really can't beat it can you?

12 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

I too won tickets that year via this wonderful forum. I was on tenterhooks for you when you won. And we all cried happy tears! ?

I remember that year when you and @Lucy92 won. Lucy your win was super close to the festval wasn;t it. I remember having picked up the campervan I was sitting in a pub playing extreme jenga (jenga after too many ciders) when I read about you winning on radio 1 and you cryin and I was sat in that pub, in the Wye valley, rain coming down outside and I was sobbing for you. @StoneCircle did you win yours through this site, and wasn;t there a redraw or something  - now that was an amazing year :-)

I had a ticket for what would’ve been my first festival in 2015. Had to give it up come payment day, had just got back into work after a couple of months looking and couldn’t justify it. The build was fine as I hadn’t got into efests yet, but the couple of weeks before were torture. All my mates were going and undertandly it was all they were taking about. The Wednesday morning I was driving to work and Sorted for E’s and Whizz came on the radio. I nearly burst into tears. Couldn’t bring myself to watch or listen to any of the highlights. This was all before I’d even been as well, I can’t imagine how I’d feel if I didn’t get tickets now. 

18 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I remember that year when you and @Lucy92 won. Lucy your win was super close to the festval wasn;t it. I remember having picked up the campervan I was sitting in a pub playing extreme jenga (jenga after too many ciders) when I read about you winning on radio 1 and you cryin and I was sat in that pub, in the Wye valley, rain coming down outside and I was sobbing for you. @StoneCircle did you win yours through this site, and wasn;t there a redraw or something  - now that was an amazing year :-)

Yes I won through this site in the 3rd redraw I think, I was actually reading an @eFestivals post saying they were about to redraw when the "Congratulations, you have won" email appeared on screen! It certainly was an amazing year, and myself and @Lucy92 were so lucky! ?

This is the first year that I’ve missed out. I’ve had a few years where we decided not to go for other reasons (got married, had a baby). 

The run up is definitely worse. All the time we we thinking we wanted to be there but couldn’t. 

We pained ourselves looking at rumours, line ups and set times.

When it came to it though we we able to enjoy it on TV. One of my fave Glasto memories is me showing my then 6 week old boy what it was all about.

”We’ll take you there one day” (When you’re old enough to walk/rave for 5 days without moaning about being tired). 

B7A7039C-9972-428B-BCBF-3174E8215968.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I remember that year when you and @Lucy92 won. Lucy your win was super close to the festval wasn;t it. I remember having picked up the campervan I was sitting in a pub playing extreme jenga (jenga after too many ciders) when I read about you winning on radio 1 and you cryin and I was sat in that pub, in the Wye valley, rain coming down outside and I was sobbing for you. @StoneCircle did you win yours through this site, and wasn;t there a redraw or something  - now that was an amazing year ?

Was the day before I had to leave! Talk about cutting it fine

2011 was my first, and while my excitement for going again only grew during the fallow, it seemed to have the opposite effect on friends. By T-day I was the only one still interested, and that was that.

Not spending as much time on here back then probably helped, and come 2013, I remember enjoying Arctics/Portishead/Chic etc on tv, and deciding that no matter what, I was getting a group together for 2014.

In fact, they were showing the Stones live in a bar the following night, and it was there I managed to get my first recruits! I've been lucky enough to get tickets every year since.

I'm all about the build up.

The anticipation, the limitless potential of what could be, the hint of a heat wave, the crew excitedly analysing the schedule for any major clashes, the big festival shop, sourcing 'other' party supplies, the rumours of secret sets and J10's weather updates.

To me, its just as big part of the festival than the weekend itself

21 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have never seen any of 2013's festival. I avoided it all completely. I never looked at the line up even.

I went to Amsterdam on the day it opened & came back on the monday - so I didnt see any coverage. Whilst the festival was on - it wasn't too bad. I was having a good time abroad. It would have been a killer if I was watching it on TV though.

This is my first time missing out and this is pretty much the tactic I’m planning on using for 2019.

Anyone know of any festivals abroad that run on the same weekend?

trying as hard as possible to avoid it , the TV the radio everything . i spent the week listening  talk sport . couldn't listen to any music or any other radio  .

just sucks ass, I actually had a ticket that year and had to give it up due to other commitments 

8 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

My friends still bring up the fact I cried happy tears live on radio 1 for the nation to hear... 

I remember you posting that you’d won tickets but didn’t know it was from Radio 1! What did you have to do in order to win them?!

Im refusing to give in until all sales and competitions are completely gone!

24 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

This is my first time missing out and this is pretty much the tactic I’m planning on using for 2019.

Anyone know of any festivals abroad that run on the same weekend?

If you enjoy techno - Awakenings in Amsterdam. That is what I went to.

Rock Wercher is the same weekend too. I was thinking of that if I didn't do Glastonbury next year.

37 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I remember you posting that you’d won tickets but didn’t know it was from Radio 1! What did you have to do in order to win them?!

Im refusing to give in until all sales and competitions are completely gone!

Guess the artists in a mash up of intros