For Those Who Have Missed Out In The Past ...

st dan

For those that have missed out in the past ..   

68 members have voted

1. 1. What is worse ..

• Missing the build up / anticipation?
    • Missing the festival itself?

I have never seen any of 2013's festival. I avoided it all completely. I never looked at the line up even.

I went to Amsterdam on the day it opened & came back on the monday - so I didnt see any coverage. Whilst the festival was on - it wasn't too bad. I was having a good time abroad. It would have been a killer if I was watching it on TV though.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have never seen any of 2013's festival. I avoided it all completely. I never looked at the line up even.

I went to Amsterdam on the day it opened & came back on the monday - so I didnt see any coverage. Whilst the festival was on - it wasn't too bad. I was having a good time abroad. It would have been a killer if I was watching it on TV though.

I am going to go away if I don't get lucky.

I’d say the build up, but the secret resales thread helped me through in 2016 so I didn’t feel like I missed the build up. Ended up managing to win tickets just before the festival but I know I’d have been more miserable to miss the festival than missing the build up 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If I don’t go in 2019 I will be doing exactly this. I don’t even want to contemplate the day I have to watch it on TV and not be there.

The build up is actually fine without a ticket. It only hardens your determination that you will be there come June.

Even after miserably failing at the resale it's okay 'cause there's the secret resales right? And that's when those that are still switched on easily hoover up a ticket, almost at leisure...

Then when the secret resale fails to turn up there's that stupid EE competition to guess the location of a rotting battery pack or snapped off antenna. And you don't win anything here.

From that moment on it is time to for everything to feel significantly dulled. Turn off all radios and bin the TV  licence now.

Don't look at the internet or newspapers either 

Live like a rees-mogg until monday morning when you can switch it all back on and feel flipping awesome 'cause everyone is now in the same ticketless boat as you. And next year you're definitely, definitely going no matter what anyone else says.

• Upvote 1

I've been exceptionally lucky in my time trying for tickets etc. Every year I wanted to go I managed to get a ticket.

The only time I didn't take the chance and could have easily was when Jay-Z headlined. I Wish I could turn back time and have gone.

When I don't I normally ignore all TV and radio and do something else with other friends who couldn't go. The build up is amazing obvs, but nothing compared to the Wed when you're there, cider in hand, hugging it out to all your mates who made it too

2 hours ago, Fingerbobs said:

The build up is actually fine without a ticket. It only hardens your determination that you will be there come June.

Even after miserably failing at the resale it's okay 'cause there's the secret resales right? And that's when those that are still switched on easily hoover up a ticket, almost at leisure...

Then when the secret resale fails to turn up there's that stupid EE competition to guess the location of a rotting battery pack or snapped off antenna. And you don't win anything here.

From that moment on it is time to for everything to feel significantly dulled. Turn off all radios and bin the TV  licence now.

Don't look at the internet or newspapers either 

Live like a rees-mogg until monday morning when you can switch it all back on and feel flipping awesome 'cause everyone is now in the same ticketless boat as you. And next year you're definitely, definitely going no matter what anyone else says.

unfortunately no secret resales last year ... fingers crossed they are reinstated 

I think the worst thing when you miss out is the feeling that it’s entirely possible that you’ve done your last Glastonbury. Until it happens to you, you always think that, as these forums always say, ‘If you really want a ticket and get properly organised you will get one’, & then you really want one, and have organised yourself in every way possible, and you are still sitting here on Monday without a ticket. What if it’s always like this now?

Thats how I felt when I missed out.

During the festival I watched it on TV, & sometimes it was OK because the TV shows an entirely different festival to the one I go to anyway, but then Coldplay sang about how ‘you try your best but you don’t succeed’ & Keane sang ‘Tell me when you’re gonna let me in, I’m getting old and I need somewhere to begin!’ & I sobbed my heart out because I thought I would never be there again.

.......but the next Glastonbury we did get tickets, and I really did feel like I’d won the lottery, & I knew I had to party like it could be my last, because now I know it always could. Everyone who has a ticket needs to know how to do Glastonbury like it could be their last. That is the gift that missing out gives you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, amfy said:

Everyone who has a ticket needs to know how to do Glastonbury like it could be their last. That is the gift that missing out gives you.

Ahhhh, that is lovely, but how do you think I got so blooming old and haggard in the first place ;) 

• Upvote 1

We missed out in 2014.  I was completely heartbroken.  Spent the months between then and the festival lurking on here like some sort of stalker but never felt able to contribute.  Felt bloody miserable.  First « proper » day of the festival got on iPlayer and watched the first live act (Royal Blood in the JP tent in case anyone’s interested).  Saw the joy on peoples’ faces and felt happy, truly happy that there was a place in the world that could make so many people dance and smile like that.  One of my favourite ever festival moments and I wasn’t even there.  We’ve not been lucky this year either and may (if we can) either work it or glamp it - both would be difficult for very different reasons.  We will (probably) try for resale tickets in April - though with our work patterns that isn’t easy either.  But in answer to the original question, I felt most miserable during the build-up, missing the festival itself was only about 10% of that.

3 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

I’d say the build up, but the secret resales thread helped me through in 2016 so I didn’t feel like I missed the build up. Ended up managing to win tickets just before the festival but I know I’d have been more miserable to miss the festival than missing the build up 

I too won tickets that year via this wonderful forum. I was on tenterhooks for you when you won. And we all cried happy tears! ?

When I missed out in 2014 I drunk and smoked so much when it was on that I didn’t really have the time to feel sad during Glasto weekend. However the build up was absolute torture. No 20 bag could have saved me from the fact that thousands of people across the country were gearing up for the best weekend of their lives and I was sat in my shit room at Uni desperately trying to scrape a 2:1 in my third year.  Horrendous stuff. 

EDIT: I got a third btw, for those interested. 

Edited by BlackHole2006

I think missing out will ruin Spring for me. I enjoy the planning, getting the trailer tent out after winter, writing lists, shopping, seeing the names start to come through, then the 1st poster, tentative clash finders then the full like up. So much to enjoy and so much anticipation. Decided not to bother trying in the resale. Booked flights to Lisbon for NOS Alive and I'm just going to have to avoid the pre Glastonbury anticipation/weather thread/line up thread etc then watch on TV and try not to get in too bad a mood.

8 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

I too won tickets that year via this wonderful forum. I was on tenterhooks for you when you won. And we all cried happy tears! ?

My friends still bring up the fact I cried happy tears live on radio 1 for the nation to hear... 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, amfy said:

Everyone who has a ticket needs to know how to do Glastonbury like it could be their last. That is the gift that missing out gives you.

I echo what Clarkey says. That's lovely.

Us old timers appreciate how lucky we've been over the years. Every year on the way out I climb the hill to the gate (these last few years - Gate A) and just before leaving turn and take a long look telling myself that this one might be the last. I try to tell myself that all good things must come to an end ...... (just not quite yet and we go again this year!).

In years that I've missed a ticket in October and relied on the re-sales, the next few months are horrible. Sorry. Good luck to all.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, McCor said:

With regard to secret resales, is it a case of watching the forum 24/7? 

Neil set up a page checker last time that sent a notification when the sale page changed, think it would of really helped if the sale actually happened.

Charm x