Friend or Foe? - Glastonbury festival volunteering.

Yoghurt on a Stick

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You say fairly strict rules apply, but are those rules and their interpretation robust enough? Many, many charities, which face annual external and internal scrutiny have been proven to not have robust systems in place, leading to corruption etc. So, if this is the case with regulated charities, then what hope is there, given that they'll be even less resources aimed at scrutinising CIC's? 

I reckon that I could set up a CIC starting with an application tomorrow and get that CIC, and profit from it. I wouldn't, but bet that it's easy. One would have to lie, of course, but if your intention is for personal financial gain, then that's going to be par for the fraudulent course.

See for yourself - linky

No doubt there will be abuse, but like you say there is with Charities too. 

2 minutes ago, Northtim said:

See for yourself - linky

No doubt there will be abuse, but like you say there is with Charities too. 

someone setting up a CIC can give themselves a sizable wage.

And a CIC can be established in order to serve the interests of the people who start it, as long as they give themselves some charitable cover. I laughed my arse off at the festival organisers who started a CIC in order to buy themselves a farm which they'd hold the festival on.