Self-Confirmed 2019

mcshed

Read a nice story online recently.

A young woman was in a bar in NY and saw a guy who looked like Jeff Goldblum.

Went up to him and told him that.

He said 'who'?

So she showed him a photo of Jeff on her phone to which the bloke replied 'Well, thanks, he's a good looking fellow'.

And they took a selfie so she could show her friends the dude she met who looked just like Jeff Goldblum.

To which they responded 'Uh, yeah, that's totally Jeff Goldblum'.

Proper chap.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whether Im too thick, too common or whatever, I cant get into Jazz.

I tried that album earlier myself & it just starts to annoy me.

Sadly, Ill end up giving him.a miss.

How long have you got, @FuzzyDunlop?!

Getting into ‘Jazz’ is like getting into ‘Dance Music’. There are so, so many styles and sub-genres under the umbrella term. Classic improv? Trad? Big Band? Modern? It goes on and on. The sort of set that the amiable Mr Goldblum plays is very easy listening and gentle stuff, quite poppy with a few jazz standards arranged fairly simply by jazz chart standard. For my part, I love jazz, but not all jazz, by any means. This has, in part, been nurtured by Child 3 who plays in a pretty decent jazz orchestra who attempt some amazing and sometimes incredibly difficult charts. Watching and listening to some of that stuff (mostly from the advanced Big Band repertoire) is mind-blowing when you try to analyse the complexity of what the composer wrote. The intricacy of the arrangements leave you wondering how the hell anyone could write stuff like that! I’m not a huge fan of endlessly noodling improv, when the various players spend 5 minutes each demonstrating their dexterity and speed of intonation (sort of a jazz Eddie Van Halen!), without any natural song flow. Similarly, I’m not into smooth, cheesy jazz. Can be very Muzak-y. But when Big Band is top class....woah! 

If you want, I could get Child 3 to rec you some pearls!!!

Ben

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Love too go and see the bloke off of Independence Day because I've a serious interest in contemporary jazz.

Oi I listen to both the jazz albums that get Best New Music on Pitchfork each year and then agree that they are good so I think I know a thing or two about jazz thank you!

I love jazz...but it took me about 30 years to get it. And it helped as I've worked at the Manchester Jazz Festival for the last 7 years so I can't avoid it, even when sometimes it's too self-indulgent and jarring.

I am sure most people like some types of jazz, how could you not like the classic singers of yesteryear, Ella Fitzgerald or Nat King Cole for example, or the better examples of jazz rock, such as Steely Dan.

45 minutes ago, jyoung said:

No idea who this is but yeah...

Looking them up on Spotify to add to the big Glastonbury 2019 playlist leads me to this playlist, which looks very much like it is the Croissant Neuf lineup for this year (Casey Rowan appearing to be someone involved in CN, see https://www.facebook.com/pg/croissantneuf69/about/) :

Good to see Mad Dog Mcrea back, and Steve Knightley is a bit of a legend. Not sure what Carl Craig is doing on there! Anyone know any of the others?

Edited by Brave Sir Robin
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Looking them up on Spotify to add to the big Glastonbury 2019 playlist leads me to this playlist, which looks very much like it is the Croissant Neuf lineup for this year (Casey Rowan appearing to be someone involved in CN, see https://www.facebook.com/pg/croissantneuf69/about/) :

Good to see Mad Dog Mcrea back, and Steve Knightley is a bit of a legend. Not sure what Carl Craig is doing on there! Anyone know any of the others?

Good spot!

Wildwood Kin are country/folkish group. 2 sisters and their cousin. Nice harmonies.