T Day.... good for the festival?

FuzzyDunlop

11 hours ago, rubenz said:

They could reserve some for people that have carried out certain relevant charity work or something. Give some people a chance to get a ticket via voluntering for good causes before the festival. 

Don't really know how this would work in practice mind.

People can get to the festival by volunteering now; stewarding, litter picking etc.

If they volunteered in the community then all that would happen in the likes of the Oxfam shop where I volunteer would be loads of time wasters who don't really want to be there trying to volunteer because they want a festival ticket. And I suspect that the charity would have to pick up the admin bill because they would need to carry out reference checks etc and then somehow verify this person has completed the requisite number of hours.

I realise that it's an admirable idea but I don't think it would be that practicable.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I really don’t think getting people to pay up front would make any real difference at all, if you can find £200 in April you can probably find £250 o October if you really want to.

What it would do is heap a load of unfair and unwarranted publicity on the organisers though.

52 minutes ago, mpsamuels said:

I admit I was surprised by how many outlets made a fuss about the 30min sell out this year as it's not even really news anymore, Despite the claim of "most people trying to get tickets ever" it's not the quickest they've sold out and the only thing that stopped it being quicker is lack of investment in server infrastructure not lack of interest!

Personally I think a 30min time is about right. If you take reducing the time to a complete extreme (there is nothing technically stopping them processing 130,000 tickets all at the same time and selling out in only the time it takes the fastest people to complete their transactions) you'd reduce tickets to being the exclusive realm of quick typers with the fastest computers and internet connection. At least at 30mins it feels like it's a fair chance for everyone but doesn't require a whole morning, or longer, in front of the computer.

No!  I don't agree with the idea that just because you've been x number of times in the past you should be entitled to go again by default. Let's keep it fair for those who wan't their first time too.

Not a bad idea but it's a bit too close to being a benefit to those fortunate enough to be able to afford to blow £250 two months before Christmas for my liking. Commitment could be shown in other, non-financial, ways. As has been suggested elsewhere, how about a priority scheme for those who actively help any of the charities the festival has ties with?

Ahh but you DO HAVE A YEAR to save up.. If you really wanted to go you definitely would save up. IMO.. And I'll not change it

12 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Ahh but you DO HAVE A YEAR to save up.. If you really wanted to go you definitely would save up. IMO.. And I'll not change it

That's true but as one of the "advantages" of the deposit scheme that the festival pushes is that it allows you to spread the cost out over a longer period I'm not sure they agree with you.

5 minutes ago, mpsamuels said:

That's true but as one of the "advantages" of the deposit scheme that the festival pushes is that it allows you to spread the cost out over a longer period I'm not sure they agree with you.

OK.. But think on this. 

You pay £50 deposit yea that sits in the bank for six months wots that.. ANYONE 

Or

You pay £245 wot ever it is AND THAT sits in the bank of six months wots that again Anyone.... 

I'm not good at maths but I which is the going to make the more with interest.. 

I'm just saying that most people will spend a £50 note on one night out so they can.... Some people.... Think not a great deal of paying a £50 deposit and then just taking the loss of a few pounds if they choose not to go... 

Before you go on one about lots of people who go to glasto can't do this is basically rubbish.. But I do agree that losing a £50 note is not good for 75%off us but if you raised the bar to a full payment or even a £100 deposit then you might get rid of the 25% of people who get a ticket just because they have that much money they can just go ah well fuck it I'll go to Malta instead and throw in there tickets.. 

Don't think that I say this thinking that I would have got a ticket I've said this every year.. 

4 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

OK.. But think on this. 

Or

You pay £245 wot ever it is AND THAT sits in the bank of six months wots that again Anyone.... 

I'm just saying that most people will spend a £50 note on one night out so they can.... Some people.... Think not a great deal of paying a £50 deposit and then just taking the loss of a few pounds if they choose not to go... 

Before you go on one about lots of people who go to glasto can't do this is basically rubbish.. But I do agree that losing a £50 note is not good for 75%off us but if you raised the bar to a full payment or even a £100 deposit then you might get rid of the 25% of people who get a ticket just because they have that much money they can just go ah well fuck it I'll go to Malta instead and throw in there tickets.. 

Don't think that I say this thinking that I would have got a ticket I've said this every year.. 

Simple matter of the fact is, the organizers don't want to reduce the amount trying for tickets, why would they?

Has anyone else been dumb enough to forget to update their picture despite the email they sent?

ahhhh

booked my ticket and the photo is 8 years old? Still looks like me but I’m 22 there and 30 now? I guess it should be fine as long as I hve other ID at the time?

15 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

OK.. But think on this. 

Or

Isn't Glastonbury all about being inclusive and allowing as many people the opportunity to attend as possible?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, tomainley said:

Isn't Glastonbury all about being inclusive and allowing as many people the opportunity to attend as possible?

Of course......... Just gutted.. But if you look back at the years gone by even when I had a ticket I still said the same thing.. 

Plus the youngsters are alot better than say me on computers and so they should be but hey ho I'm allowed to a LITTLE upset lol. 

• Like 1

Possibly not the right thread to post this on, but hey ho. I didn't try for tickets this year as I'll be too busy next June, but looking at the forum on Sunday morning, I really didn't like the fact that people were just randomly posting their details and asking people who already have tickets to try again for them.

Those who have got through 'seem' to have a slightly better chance of getting through again than those who haven't, so it seems a little unfair to just ask them to do the hard work for you at the expense of others who are in the same boat as you.

Maybe if those people who have successfully got tickets stopped trying to buy for others it would give everybody else more of a chance?

1 hour ago, tomainley said:

That you are - I've got tickets every year besides 2016 and I know the heartbreak well.

Don't give up yet.. there's always the resale ! :)

Yep. Hope so.. As I'm disabled to a point I really need my van... 

I knew two weeks ago that again, 6 years plus, that I could take a team of 40. Why because for years we have worked hard and proved our worth to the farm. We only do 20 hours over 4 days but we do it and know we will be back for the next 5 festivals. It is the way to do it. Ps team is full!

31 minutes ago, matt2007 said:

I knew two weeks ago that again, 6 years plus, that I could take a team of 40. Why because for years we have worked hard and proved our worth to the farm. We only do 20 hours over 4 days but we do it and know we will be back for the next 5 festivals. It is the way to do it. Ps team is full!

Team of 40 what?? :D 20 hours is not a lot in the grand scheme of the 5 days. Especially if some of those hours are pre festival. 

On 10/9/2018 at 10:48 AM, JoshM87 said:

Has anyone else been dumb enough to forget to update their picture despite the email they sent?

ahhhh

booked my ticket and the photo is 8 years old? Still looks like me but I’m 22 there and 30 now? I guess it should be fine as long as I hve other ID at the time?

Would prefer to face a bit of botox rather than the resales.

Seriously - you'll be fine. Good idea to take proof with you just in case, then leave it in the lock ups.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2018 at 10:26 AM, SecretFish said:

This has been my first T day and I will say up front that I was successful in getting tickets. I had tickets within 8 minutes – from reading this thread I was exceptionally lucky.

Upon reading all these posts it’s abundantly clear that all the ‘tricks of the trade’ that I’d be made aware of are no longer valid. As some have said everyone is prepared. Everyone appears to have at least a phone and laptop. Everyone is on fast wifi and understands what not to do. So it’s  just down to luck… and persistence.

2019 will be my first Glastonbury and I can’t wait. Do I deserve my ticket any less than someone who has devoted to the festival over the past ten years? Ofcourse not… but they do have a point! I can’t think of any way of finding a balance which is fairer than the current setup.

It would appear it’s purely down to luck. Everyone has done their prep and it doesn’t matter of your age, internet ability, experience and glasto history. Surely that’s the spirit of the festival?

Very good post SecretFish.  Hope you have a brilliant time!