T Day.... good for the festival?

FuzzyDunlop

This has been my first T day and I will say up front that I was successful in getting tickets. I had tickets within 8 minutes – from reading this thread I was exceptionally lucky.

Upon reading all these posts it’s abundantly clear that all the ‘tricks of the trade’ that I’d be made aware of are no longer valid. As some have said everyone is prepared. Everyone appears to have at least a phone and laptop. Everyone is on fast wifi and understands what not to do. So it’s  just down to luck… and persistence.

2019 will be my first Glastonbury and I can’t wait. Do I deserve my ticket any less than someone who has devoted to the festival over the past ten years? Ofcourse not… but they do have a point! I can’t think of any way of finding a balance which is fairer than the current setup.

It would appear it’s purely down to luck. Everyone has done their prep and it doesn’t matter of your age, internet ability, experience and glasto history. Surely that’s the spirit of the festival?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Divein said:

I just think the ticket buying system needs to be more stable. Yesterday was easily the worst it's ever been, how can that be in 2018?

It's probably not in the top 5 of the worst.

The worst, easily, is 2004 when the sale took about 24 hours to complete, because the website was near constantly unavailable to most people throughout that time due to load on the server, with people were getting various error messages most of the time. The Nottingham telephone exchange went down for a time due to the volume of people trying to phone in, causing problems in the city as a whole. As a consequence BT insisted that any subsequent years they moved the sale to 9am Sunday which is how we ended up with that time.

12 minutes ago, incident said:

It's probably not in the top 5 of the worst.

The worst, easily, is 2004 when the sale took about 24 hours to complete, because the website was near constantly unavailable to most people throughout that time due to load on the server, with people were getting various error messages most of the time. The Nottingham telephone exchange went down for a time due to the volume of people trying to phone in, causing problems in the city as a whole. As a consequence BT insisted that any subsequent years they moved the sale to 9am Sunday which is how we ended up with that time.

I can easily imagine that. 2004 was the first time I had ever been unable to score a ticket, and I didn't have any luck the following year either...not tried since then. I have a strong feeling my attempt for 2020 won't be any different, but I have to try, it's almost entirely down to luck.

The only way to match supply and demand (with fixed supply) is to reduce demand by either raising price (not acceptable) or making people go through some extra steps (like forcing people to submit new photos each year) to weed out the half hearted.  Agree current system is least worse. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I bet there are people in the festival marketing department who love the current system - the festival sells out in minutes months in advance of any names even being announced. The frenzied clamour, the news reports, the stories of selling out in half an hour... it all cements the festival's reputation as being the hottest ticket on earth. The bigger the circus around T-Day the more they enjoy it.

I doubt anybody in GF headquarters is in any rush to change anything to be honest.

Absolutely this!

Going down the ballot route would remove the fuss around ticket day so there's less media coverage. It works far better for the festival to have everyone talking about it.

Yes, the system could be made more stable but that would cost money as it involves buying more server resource. Would it actually achieve anything? It would make the process a better experience from a user perspective as at least everyone would feel like things are working correctly if they saw a repeated hold page rather than 504 errors but the end result is the same - some are lucky enough to get tickets, others aren't.

Yes, it could also be a lot faster but again this would cost more money and, taken to its absolute extreme of processing all 130,000 (or however many tickets there are) at exactly 9am, would enter the realms of tickets becoming exclusive for those who are the fastest typers with the fastest hardware and internet connections. That's not what anyone wants.

Frustrating as it can be, where we are at the moment is a happy (?) medium of processing all sales in an acceptable amount of time while still giving everyone a fair shot at getting tickets with no benefit in being particularly tech savvy or quick at typing. Knock it all you want but I struggle to think how it can be improved.

4 hours ago, rubenz said:

They could reserve some for people that have carried out certain relevant charity work or something. Give some people a chance to get a ticket via voluntering for good causes before the festival. 

Don't really know how this would work in practice mind.

This is the weirdest. I came on to make this exact point. Volunteering for certain community organisations gets you points and points get you prizes.

I don't buy that this was the worst year ever. I've been every year since 2008, bar 1, and i've never been successful in buying a ticket - it's always been someone else getting them for me. This year I got through on my wife's laptop (via home wifi) and my phone (on 4g), Laptop 1st, the payment processing took ages but I looked at my phone and i'd got in there too so I put the details in and the transaction went through while the laptop was still stuck. I went back on the laptop and tried for my friends but again it got stuck on the payment page. They didn't get tickets, only 1 group of 6 out of 6 groups though so we did ok.

The current system isn't ideal, getting held up when making payment really shouldn't happen, but a ballot system would be far worse. I'd bet that far more people would apply than currently try on ticket day, as it would be worth a go to see if they can get tickets. At least this way you have to put some effort in and be dedicated to trying.

My advice is only 1 browser with 1 tab open and trying, anything else is going to slow your computer down. Use another machine but only of via a different IP address, although saying that - I connected a 2nd laptop via a work VPN and that didn't even get on the website.

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

This is the weirdest. I came on to make this exact point. Volunteering for certain community organisations gets you points and points get you prizes.

Sure there was something similar with one if the mobile phone companies once where you had to volunteer for community stuff and then got to go to a big concert afterwards. 

• Upvote 1

I’d prefer t day over a ballot....would paying in full for tickets on the day reduce the number of those paying £50 ‘just in case’? It may make it easier for those who are committed to go come what may?

Whatever they do won’t please everyone though 

Edited by SloopJohnB

7 hours ago, SecretFish said:

This has been my first T day and I will say up front that I was successful in getting tickets. I had tickets within 8 minutes – from reading this thread I was exceptionally lucky.

Upon reading all these posts it’s abundantly clear that all the ‘tricks of the trade’ that I’d be made aware of are no longer valid. As some have said everyone is prepared. Everyone appears to have at least a phone and laptop. Everyone is on fast wifi and understands what not to do. So it’s  just down to luck… and persistence.

2019 will be my first Glastonbury and I can’t wait. Do I deserve my ticket any less than someone who has devoted to the festival over the past ten years? Ofcourse not… but they do have a point! I can’t think of any way of finding a balance which is fairer than the current setup.

It would appear it’s purely down to luck. Everyone has done their prep and it doesn’t matter of your age, internet ability, experience and glasto history. Surely that’s the spirit of the festival?

well said!

have a fecking great first festival @SecretFish , you are going to love it...

2 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

I’d prefer t day over a ballot....would paying in full for tickets on the day reduce the number of those paying £50 ‘just in case’? It may make it easier for those who are committed to go come what may?

Whatever they do won’t please everyone though 

Yeah. The deposit scheme definitely will attract flakes...

Thing is, all that making people pay in full up-front would mean is an extra... what 5-10 minutes of a buying window in the main sale? no-resale (where anecdotally it seems is quite a good option for the 'determined' ones) and no-shows for tickets which ultimately go to waste. This plus the deposit helps those who have a bit less cash liquidity!

6 hours ago, mpsamuels said:

Absolutely this!

Going down the ballot route would remove the fuss around ticket day so there's less media coverage. It works far better for the festival to have everyone talking about it.

Yes, the system could be made more stable but that would cost money as it involves buying more server resource. Would it actually achieve anything? It would make the process a better experience from a user perspective as at least everyone would feel like things are working correctly if they saw a repeated hold page rather than 504 errors but the end result is the same - some are lucky enough to get tickets, others aren't.

Yes, it could also be a lot faster but again this would cost more money and, taken to its absolute extreme of processing all 130,000 (or however many tickets there are) at exactly 9am, would enter the realms of tickets becoming exclusive for those who are the fastest typers with the fastest hardware and internet connections. That's not what anyone wants.

Frustrating as it can be, where we are at the moment is a happy (?) medium of processing all sales in an acceptable amount of time while still giving everyone a fair shot at getting tickets with no benefit in being particularly tech savvy or quick at typing. Knock it all you want but I struggle to think how it can be improved.

I’m not advocating a ballot, it’s the last thing I’d want. But you could achieve the same publicity with a ballot. Instead of ticket day you’d just have ballot day, registration would open and close in the same way, but the ballot would open at 9am on Sunday for 1/2/10 hours (I don’t know how long) in that time you go into the site and enter your group of up to 6 registrations in the allotted time. No different to the main sale but every group of 6 has an identical chance to every other group entered.

I don’t actually want this implemented by the way, just suggesting how it could generate the same or even more publicity than T day.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m not advocating a ballot, it’s the last thing I’d want. But you could achieve the same publicity with a ballot. Instead of ticket day you’d just have ballot day, registration would open and close in the same way, but the ballot would open at 9am on Sunday for 1/2/10 hours (I don’t know how long) in that time you go into the site and enter your group of up to 6 registrations in the allotted time. No different to the main sale but every group of 6 has an identical chance to every other group entered.

I don’t actually want this implemented by the way.

Both London Marathon and Wimbledon tickets operate in a not dissimilar way. Are you ever aware of their results day each year? I doubt many are. It just doesn't have the same excitement around it.

If it's a true ballot in that whether you got a ticket or not is decided prior to "ballot day" but you only find out if you were successful after the 9am Sunday start time there wouldn't be any of the "crashed servers", mad panic, "sold out in 30min" headlines to shout about or so much cursing Seetickets from those who think they could build a better solution while knowing nothing about IT.

If you mean whether you get a ticket or not is decided at random at the moment you log into the website EVERYONE will try to log in at 9am as that's when the most tickets will still be in the pot, thus a better chance of getting one...and we're back to where we already are!

The only way to do a ballot is the excitement free register in advance and find out via e-mail/post a month or two later which just doesn't lend itself to media hype at all even if applications are 100x capacity!

Edit to add - I don't think a ballot is the way forward either. What we've got at the moment is the fairest system possible that treats everyone equally whether you are new to the festival or a regular, it doesn't favour those with fancier tech (although more devices COULD be a SMALL advantage), it weeds out those who aren't really that interested in going with it's slightly awkward start time and registration process, avoids touting and doesn't take all Sunday to sell out.

Edited by mpsamuels

I think the current way is fine as it is. However you do it a load of people will miss out and complain that it’s a bad system.

Haven’t missed out on tickets since I started going in 2009 so not sure how much luck I have left but I’ll certainly enjoy it while it lasts! At least I got the be the hero to get through for once.

11 minutes ago, mpsamuels said:

Both London Marathon and Wimbledon tickets operate in a not dissimilar way. Are you ever aware of their results day each year? I doubt many are. It just doesn't have the same excitement around it.

If it's a true ballot in that whether you got a ticket or not is decided prior to "ballot day" but you only find out if you were successful after the 9am Sunday start time there wouldn't be any of the "crashed servers", mad panic, "sold out in 30min" headlines to shout about or so much cursing Seetickets from those who think they could build a better solution while knowing nothing about IT.

If you mean whether you get a ticket or not is decided at random at the moment you log into the website EVERYONE will try to log in at 9am as that's when the most tickets will still be in the pot, thus a better chance of getting one...and we're back to where we already are!

The only way to do a ballot is the excitement free register in advance and find out via e-mail/post a month or two later which just doesn't lend itself to media hype at all even if applications are 100x capacity!

I agree it’s not perfect, and I don’t want it anyway, but the festival would be more than capable of creating enough hype around it every year if they needed to.

With regards to sell out times creating publicity, where do they go from here though?

I think it was 2014 that it topped out at just over 20 minutes, ever since it’s been slightly longer. Before 2013 there was an almost exponential decrease until we’ve got to where we are now, roughly 30 minutes give or take.

If they ever bring it down to below 20 minutes the vitriol on the socials will surely reach intolerable levels? A sub 20 minute sale could have genuine longer term repercussions to the festivals popularity because most people will just think it’s basically impossible, which it pretty much would be.

So how much publicity will the festival selling out at around 30 minutes every single year for years to come continue to generate?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

They should have a loyalty scheme.. For those who go to the festival for x years 

Or 

How about after the coach sales the next  sale should be ALL THE TICKET MONEY with no refunds except in exceptional circumstances... Obviously 

Then 

Have the deposit sale for the buggers that pay £50 wait to see who's paying then go ahh no Pearl Jam can't be bothered and I'll only lose a few pints worth of money.. 

That way you separate the real Glastonbury Festival goers and the oo I've got £50 I'll just wait and see.. 

.. I didn't get a ticket BTW.... Can't lol I'm not happy.. And not cos of the tickets.. 

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So how much publicity will the festival selling out at around 30 minutes every single year for years to come continue to generate?

I admit I was surprised by how many outlets made a fuss about the 30min sell out this year as it's not even really news anymore, Despite the claim of "most people trying to get tickets ever" it's not the quickest they've sold out and the only thing that stopped it being quicker is lack of investment in server infrastructure not lack of interest!

Personally I think a 30min time is about right. If you take reducing the time to a complete extreme (there is nothing technically stopping them processing 130,000 tickets all at the same time and selling out in only the time it takes the fastest people to complete their transactions) you'd reduce tickets to being the exclusive realm of quick typers with the fastest computers and internet connection. At least at 30mins it feels like it's a fair chance for everyone but doesn't require a whole morning, or longer, in front of the computer.

7 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

They should have a loyalty scheme.. For those who go to the festival for x years 

No!  I don't agree with the idea that just because you've been x number of times in the past you should be entitled to go again by default. Let's keep it fair for those who wan't their first time too.

10 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

How about after the coach sales the next  sale should be ALL THE TICKET MONEY with no refunds except in exceptional circumstances... Obviously 

Then 

Have the deposit sale for the buggers that pay £50 wait to see who's paying then go ahh no Pearl Jam can't be bothered and I'll only lose a few pints worth of money.. 

Not a bad idea but it's a bit too close to being a benefit to those fortunate enough to be able to afford to blow £250 two months before Christmas for my liking. Commitment could be shown in other, non-financial, ways. As has been suggested elsewhere, how about a priority scheme for those who actively help any of the charities the festival has ties with?

1 hour ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Thing is, all that making people pay in full up-front would mean is an extra... what 5-10 minutes of a buying window in the main sale? no-resale (where anecdotally it seems is quite a good option for the 'determined' ones) and no-shows for tickets which ultimately go to waste. This plus the deposit helps those who have a bit less cash liquidity!

I’m saying that you could still return the tickets up until the deadline as you can now.....meaning there’s would still be a resale for returned tickets....but payment in full may deter more who aren’t fully committed

• Upvote 1

The thing I find odd is that I had no issues (thankfully) like others are describing. I always got the holding page, no timeouts, and the booking went through sweet as. I did nothing different to anyone else on here. 1 internet connection, several machines, refreshing about once every couple of seconds.

The only thing that may be different is I use a small ISP and have a good internet connection (approx 80 down, 20 up) so maybe this has a bearing?

44 minutes ago, incident said:

They do. Contribute something to the festival by volunteering etc, and you'll likely get invited back year on year.

I usually contribute my own body.. But hell I've got friends that do litter picking and I'd be hard done to do that.. I'm no slacker just injured here and there.. But I totally agree that it's a good thing to do.