Ticket Day related reflections...a few thoughts about the festival as it is now.

gooner1990

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

The registered numbers dont represent the numbers trying though ... think somehow I had 4 at one point and im sure others have more than 1

Lots of us have 2 reg’s each....

think the photo update this year will have made a lot of people duplicate too 

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

What’s to stop people creating a new bank account and setting up a standing order for the total amount split into monthly or weekly payments? Then you’d have the full amount on ticket day.

This is what we do and doing again this year.

everyone is paying £10 a week into an old savings account that I don’t use. So come April their tickets will be paid.... then by June there will be £150 each left over for spendo.... which last year we all chucked £30 each to buy booze together.

it worked well ??

Edited by CeriG

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

I have two registrations as I messed up updating my mugshot.....

And I know a couple of people who have multiple registrations so they can burn one for the coach sale as a "Banker".

Interested to hear what this is about

They use one for the coach and another for general? If successful in both they bin the coach and make their own way with the general?

If successful on Thursday and not Sunday or vice verse then at least they have one ticket sorted

If unsuccessful in both...well, lets not go down that route

19 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

How about if someone gets through and books 6 tickets you don't make a payment but just a reservation then each ticket holder gets sent an email with a link that says you need to pay x amount by x date otherwise the ticket goes back for resales?

I quite like this idea simply because when you're helping other people, especially strangers from here, there's always that element of trust in whether you swap card details or can just take the hit cash wise. It would also speed things up considerably during booking.

That said, there would be loads of people who didn't pay wouldn't there, forcing an early resale? Not to  mention any card bounce backs? Dunno.

I agree with UEF  to a point that everyone who wants to go usually finds a way but that does seem less certain now the secret resales have gone. Whether that was just a one off or a precedent I don't know but it always comforted me to know they were there.

I got a ticket every year from 2008 up until the 2014 festival and was devastated to miss out that ticket day. But the resale was fine and we got through. I missed out again for 2016 and was equally devastated but then made the decision not to try the resale, due mainly to other plans that summer, so I'll never know if I would have been successful. I was obsessed with the festival up until then but I still decided to take a year out, so people do change their minds about trying again.

Best policy I think is to do what people are doing here - stay active on the forums if you can bear it and recruit people to help you.

I had extremely low hopes of getting a ticket this year (I got one for 2017 but only via an Efester and had no sniff of the booking page myself) so was shocked - still am! - when flyleen bagged me and my mates tickets. But then I got the booking screen myself (haven't seen it on a Sunday in years) so maybe I would have been lucky either way. You just never know.

10 hours ago, pentura said:

They use one for the coach and another for general? If successful in both they bin the coach and make their own way with the general?

If successful on Thursday and not Sunday or vice verse then at least they have one ticket sorted

It's a dick move ultimately. The coach sale is tiny comparatively and the thought that loads of people might be trying and succeeding for tickets they'll never use in it is quite grim.

The festival did say a couple of years ago that it would delete any tickets made with duplicate details but I don't know if this was an empty threat (how would they enforce it?). I guess you could use a fake address for coach sale since nothing ever gets despatched but your photo and name would have to be the same.

14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

The registered numbers dont represent the numbers trying though ... think somehow I had 4 at one point and im sure others have more than 1

Indeed. But I'd suspect the number of device connections attempts is higher then the number of registrations.

Most people (if not all) will have had at least 2 devices trying to connect. So even if we say that half of the 2 million registrations are dormant, then 1 million registered people trying with 2 devices each is still minimum 2 million connection attempts on the See Ticket servers at 9am. 

19 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

What’s to stop people creating a new bank account and setting up a standing order for the total amount split into monthly or weekly payments? Then you’d have the full amount on ticket day.

Because quite a lot of people do not have a regular income stream. With part time work, zero hour contracts, students picking up Christmas work, income can be a 'feast or famine' each month. And then even those with regular incomes will not necessarily have much (if any) 'spare cash' to save; getting a ticket for Glastonbury usually requires either (a) picking up extra shifts or (b) getting a christmas job and banking that money away.

There's also the social aspect (and I don't mean this in a nasty way) that certain demographics of the Glastonbury crowd are by their nature disorganised and live an unconventional life where regular monthly saving is an alien concept.

10 hours ago, pentura said:

38 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's a dick move ultimately

Surely it can't be possible to do that - can it? I think one of my friends did ask me if we could try for Thursday coaches and even if we got one try again on Sunday, and I was just like "don't be ridiculous, they would never allow that!" mainly because, exactly as Zoo said, it would be a total dick move!

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Surely it can't be possible to do that - can it? I think one of my friends did ask me if we could try for Thursday coaches and even if we got one try again on Sunday, and I was just like "don't be ridiculous, they would never allow that!" mainly because, exactly as Zoo said, it would be a total dick move!

I think it would be very hard to stop it though. You could register with different postcodes and email addresses, even different pics. They'd have to comb through the registrations to weed them out. Not that I want to give people ideas...

33 minutes ago, Keithy said:

But I'd suspect the number of device connections attempts is higher then the number of registrations.

True! Everyone feels the need to have as many options as possible incase of crashes. Interestingly, my friend who eventually bought 12 tickets (and who also managed to get through in the coach sale but just a little too late) was just sitting in bed with her mac and one screen pressing refresh at a normal rate. No fancy auto refreshes, no multiple browsers, phones or iPads. Maybe it is just better to keep it simple.

My housemate let me use his fancy desktop mac in addition to my laptop and phone. My phone and laptop at least both had the holding page for the whole time. His fancy mac did approximately fuck all. 

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

True! Everyone feels the need to have as many options as possible incase of crashes. Interestingly, my friend who eventually bought 12 tickets (and who also managed to get through in the coach sale but just a little too late) was just sitting in bed with her mac and one screen pressing refresh at a normal rate. No fancy auto refreshes, no multiple browsers, phones or iPads. Maybe it is just better to keep it simple.

My housemate let me use his fancy desktop mac in addition to my laptop and phone. My phone and laptop at least both had the holding page for the whole time. His fancy mac did approximately fuck all. 

Aye. And i discovered last night that one of my workmates decided on the spur of sunday morning to try for 2 tickets (after skipping 2017) and got them immediately on just her tablet. From her perspective, it was the easiest ticket sale ever. It's just sheer damn good luck.

could they just look at duplicate names ? and then cross check those with photos ? to prevent this 

edit ( just woken up ..I guess they would use different names on them ... but im sure there is the tech to spot photos that are similar in the digital age 

Edited by crazyfool1

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

could they just look at duplicate names ? and then cross check those with photos ? to prevent this 

edit ( just woken up ..I guess they would use different names on them ... but im sure there is the tech to spot photos that are similar in the digital age 

They could cross match duplicate names (but that isn't proof it's the same person). They'd then have to check the photo's either manually or facial recognition software to see who is truly the same person. They're not going to spend the time and money doing that, especially as the ticket becomes available in the resale. It's a dickish move by people who do it but ultimately all it does is cost them £20-£30 and just means the ticket is available to purchase by someone else in April rather than Oct.  

11 hours ago, pentura said:

Douchebaggery of the highest order.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Douchebaggery of the highest order.

It is yeah

And I can't see why, if successful on Thursday, you'd try again for Sunday. You have a ticket!! Worry about the logistics afterwards! 

19 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Because they'd rather go in the car :) 

15 minutes ago, pentura said:

It ain't about the journey! ;)

Or because they wanted to go on Wednesday....seems a bit extreme to do that just so you can go by car! But then IMO coaches are totally the way forward :) Apart from anything else, you don't have to walk up that hill of absolute brutality to the carpark with all of your shit at some ungodly hour on the Monday because your mate is worried he won't be able to get out of the carpark if you leave any later. Fuck that. 

Edited by Sasperella

I did the coach in 2015 after getting lucky in the resale....I'd do it again, the only issues are you're limited on what you can bring (I have a bad back so have to bring a chair with me) and the departure times can be quite early (our return was at 7.30am on the Monday) but apart from that its fine. :)

25 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Or because they wanted to go on Wednesday....seems a bit extreme to do that just so you can go by car! But then IMO coaches are totally the way forward :) Apart from anything else, you don't have to walk up that hill of absolute brutality to the carpark with all of your shit at some ungodly hour on the Monday because your mate is worried he won't be able to get out of the carpark if you leave any later. Fuck that. 

Definitely - I ended up with general access tickets for the first time since 2013, but I will definitely be going by public transport, probably National Express coach as I don't have to faff with shuttle buses then.  

18 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I did the coach in 2015 after getting lucky in the resale....I'd do it again, the only issues are you're limited on what you can bring (I have a bad back so have to bring a chair with me) and the departure times can be quite early (our return was at 7.30am on the Monday) but apart from that its fine. :)

I've brought a camping chair with me on the coach every time! They don't take up much space. Main sacrifice is the alcohol, but these days I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to buy a few pints and just take spirits. 

48 minutes ago, pentura said:

It ain't about the journey! ;)

34 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

But then IMO coaches are totally the way forward :) Apart from anything else, you don't have to walk up that hill of absolute brutality to the carpark with all of your shit at some ungodly hour on the Monday because your mate is worried he won't be able to get out of the carpark if you leave any later. Fuck that. 

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Main sacrifice is the alcohol, but these days I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to buy a few pints and just take spirits. 

Hey, you're all preaching to the choir.  I bought coach tickets with tremendous good fortune by about 18:05 Thursday.  As a lazy old man staying in the CV fields it can be great to just arrive as you used to in the old days and just park next to where you're staying and unload your stuff, but to be honest I like the freedom to buy my grub on site and follow my appetite, so I'm not bringing tons of food like others and sitting down at tables and chairs to a full english ;) 

Likewise, my partner in crime and I don't consume shed loads of booze like we used to.  It's nice to take a bunch of cans of G&T each day so that if you're in the middle of a crowd you have some with you, but it is also quite nice setting out for the day without so much stuff.