Ticket Day related reflections...a few thoughts about the festival as it is now.

gooner1990

Just now, incident said:

Aside from the problems on the customers side that have mentioned already, it wouldn't work well for the Festival either. Reportedly one of the reasons that the balance payment, and up until 10 years ago the main ticket sale, are at the start of April is that for accounting/VAT purposes it's desirable to have the bulk of the income in the same quarter as the Festival itself when the bulk of the outgoings happen.

Yeah fair point. I just think the current system invites so many ''oh well I'll get one now, even though I don't know if I'm gonna bother'' merchants when you've got people desperate to go and struggling so much. But I guess there's never gonna be a 'perfect' system. 

I'm still in an awful mood after yesterday so you'll have to forgive me! :(

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Would it be unrealistic for a full balance payment in October with a certain amount back in April if you decide not to go?

I would not advocate going back to a single one off payment as that dilutes opportunity for the less well off. However I think doubling the deposit would be appropriate for a couple of reasons. 

1. The £50 deposit has not increased since it was introduced and it's relevance as  percentage of the total ticket price has declined significantly. This means the balance to be paid has become ever larger. (Think my first ever ticket for Glasto 2007 was something like £135 paid in full).

2. A larger deposit would deter to less than 50/50 unsure types reluctantly cajoled into trying for a ticket.

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Yeah fair point. I just think the current system invites so many ''oh well I'll get one now, even though I don't know if I'm gonna bother'' merchants when you've got people desperate to go and struggling so much. But I guess there's never gonna be a 'perfect' system. 

I'm still in an awful mood after yesterday so you'll have to forgive me! :(

The law of averages means there will be some people who book halfheartedly in October, only to cancel in April. This is aside from those with a genuine reason being work commitments, finance or health issues or any other personal issues or commitments that may prevent them from going. 

I personally, don't know anyone who would book in October and cancel in April, without reason other than they're not bothered. Would love to know how many there are..

Obviously a statistic like this is completely un-quantifiable but I would suspect it's very low. Anyone who's been wants to go again and again, and those who haven't been, still badly want to go. Can't see many returning a ticket out of lack of interest!

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I would not advocate going back to a single one off payment as that dilutes opportunity for the less well off. However I think doubling the deposit would be appropriate for a couple of reasons. 

1. The £50 deposit has not increased since it was introduced and it's relevance as  percentage of the total ticket price has declined significantly. This means the balance to be paid has become ever larger. (Think my first ever ticket for Glasto 2007 was something like £135 paid in full).

2. A larger deposit would deter to less than 50/50 unsure types reluctantly cajoled into trying for a ticket.

That's true - the deposit has remained the same yet the total ticket price has crept up year on year.

Could a non-refundable deposit work? Might scare off those who aren't sure in October, but may know come April for resales

14 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I agree with this tbh.  I know its there to help people who can't afford the full £250 in one go but also, like you say it encourages people who aren't that bothered to try knowing they'll only lose £15 if they don't like the line up (or heavily rumoured one).

Wonder what the reaction would be if it was scrapped? 

On the other hand those tickets go back into the April sale, which tends to favour the more determined glasto-goer (not many have that much money just lying around, especially as they'll have been making alternative plans for the summer.)

The real issue is announcing massive parts of the line-up, including headliners, before the resale date. I think a resale in early March, right after deposit deadline, with the line-up coming out the week after would be ideal.

Other returns (corporate/performer/etc) could be leaked out in a secret resale in May to those really determined.

5 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

The current system is massively unfair for anyone with web accessibility issues (especially since the tickets are not "yours" until the whole process is complete, i.e. you can lose them if you're too slow).

Not sure on that - those with such issues likely already have the tools in place to help them (indeed, it was some of those tools some on here were using to get them through the booking process quicker)

3 hours ago, Fingerbobs said:

I think where we will see a change that has an effect on tickets is that at some stage soonish Glastonbury will become a (dino-powered) car free festival. We'll all have to buy bus or train combo tickets, selecting day of arrival to spread the entry pressure. Now that's going to concentrate minds.

Can't possibly happen. Short of an actual monorail. It's in the middle of nowhere,  Glastonbury pretty much books out all the coach availability in the country over those three days. Nearest rail station will still need a way to shuttle people back and forth, people with a lot of luggage too. Even if you could up rail capacity, you still need more coaches for that last few miles.

I'm fairly sure the only thing stopping Glastonbury selling more coach packages is availability of coaches nationwide. They are competing with National Express for that business but those coaches are also 90% going to Glastonbury. There's just n other way to do it.

31 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I would also like to see the introduction of a system whereby those unsuccessful in the ticket buying process are immediately after given the opportunity to record their lack of success and be given preferential treatment for the proceeding festival. Such a scheme would give hope of attending at some point to many who fail year after year. I for one could live with such a system even if it curtailed a year after year attendence, such as I have previously enjoyed.

But it seems demand is at least 5x supply, so you'd be looking at going once every 5 years. Are you okay with that? Who here would take one guaranteed year in five versus an effective lottery every year?

Balances upfront would cause a lot of issues amongst groups, at present you need £300 in your account to cover everyone you're buying for in one transaction. That becomes £1500 (plus fees) if you're paying everything in one go. One option could be to transfer everything to one person's account but that still involves having to share your card details with five other people...

Any system if GFL were to change things would have flaws and people moaning it didn't suit them.

Simple fact of the matter demand outstrips supply to the point now where nearly 90% of people wanting to go don't get tickets.

It would be interesting to find out how many people (approx.) were trying yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 1 million.

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But it seems demand is at least 5x supply, so you'd be looking at going once every 5 years. Are you okay with that? Who here would take one guaranteed year in five versus an effective lottery every year?

It's speculation as to actual demand, may be higher or lower. Personally I reckon their was 500,000 registrants wanting tickets but it's a pure guess. However it should be possible to devise a system to reward only those actually sat there trying for those frantic minutes on ticket day and not the hangers on leaving it to others to get their ticket.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Balances upfront would cause a lot of issues amongst groups, at present you need £300 in your account to cover everyone you're buying for in one transaction. That becomes £1500 (plus fees) if you're paying everything in one go. One option could be to transfer everything to one person's account but that still involves having to share your card details with five other people...

How about if someone gets through and books 6 tickets you don't make a payment but just a reservation then each ticket holder gets sent an email with a link that says you need to pay x amount by x date otherwise the ticket goes back for resales?

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Any system if GFL were to change things would have flaws and people moaning it didn't suit them.

Simple fact of the matter demand outstrips supply to the point now where nearly 90% of people wanting to go don't get tickets.

It would be interesting to find out how many people (approx.) were trying yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 1 million.

That 1 million figure has been thrown around before. If I remember rightly, it refers to the number of total registrations - including active, dormant and double ups. I myself have 2 registrations for some reason

But yeah, it could be close 500,000+ easily

5 minutes ago, pentura said:

That 1 million figure has been thrown around before. If I remember rightly, it refers to the number of total registrations - including active, dormant and double ups. I myself have 2 registrations for some reason

But yeah, it could be close 500,000+ easily

Emily Eavis said yesterday on Twitter there are now 2 million people registered.

With regards to increasing the deposit amount.

When the thread comes about next May about ‘how much spending money to take’ it usually has people who have to save x amount each week/month for the balance and spending money. Clearly increasing to full balance in October would mean people would be excluded - which does not sit well with me. 

4 minutes ago, Upside down frowner said:

With regards to increasing the deposit amount.

When the thread comes about next May about ‘how much spending money to take’ it usually has people who have to save x amount each week/month for the balance and spending money. Clearly increasing to full balance in October would mean people would be excluded - which does not sit well with me. 

What’s to stop people creating a new bank account and setting up a standing order for the total amount split into monthly or weekly payments? Then you’d have the full amount on ticket day.

31 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

What’s to stop people creating a new bank account and setting up a standing order for the total amount split into monthly or weekly payments? Then you’d have the full amount on ticket day.

You started on such a high with that first post.  

Don't undermine it by obsessing about the payments, as it would change the make up of the festival and therefore it's not gonna happen.

They've taken more stick than they deserve (imho) in the past for the festival "not being like it used to be".

In 13 years of going I've not known anyone fail to get a ticket who actually wanted one - main sale or resale. Determination pushes your odds towards 100%, you just have to do everything you can, and do it early and often!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

You started on such a high with that first post.  

Don't undermine it by obsessing about the payments, as it would change the make up of the festival and therefore it's not gonna happen.

They've taken more stick than they deserve (imho) in the past for the festival "not being like it used to be".

I was just throwing ideas around really!

In actual fact, its something I used to do myself when I was short on cash for the ticket days when you still used to have to pay the full amount in April (before the deposit scheme came in for the 2009 festival)

1 hour ago, UEF said:

In 13 years of going I've not known anyone fail to get a ticket who actually wanted one - main sale or resale. Determination pushes your odds towards 100%, you just have to do everything you can, and do it early and often!

Thanks for that - given me a much needed (albeit small) lift in spirit. Missed out this year for the first time ever (going since 2009).  What really hurts is getting kicked out of the payment page!  Feeling a bit better today, but man yesterday was tough.

Thinking about it  a ballot system like the London marathon may work and have the option donate your registration fee to good causes if you don't get a ticket and also have an resale but then again that would not  work  for groups, maybe we need 2 glastonbury festivals a year but you can only register for one.

Then I think the land would get trashed twice, erm maybe I will settle for the tickets gods to shine.

22 minutes ago, bellboy said:

What really hurts is getting kicked out of the payment page!

Had that last time - effing thing just sat there pretending to submit but didn't actually do it.

This time, the payment page barfed, I hit the back button (just after I hit refresh and shouted fuck, no no no), got back to reg deets and started again.

In February, we need the thread of helpers - get all the faithful on here with a gang of F5'ers behind them and keep quiet until April.... 

1 hour ago, bellboy said:

Thanks for that - given me a much needed (albeit small) lift in spirit. Missed out this year for the first time ever (going since 2009).  What really hurts is getting kicked out of the payment page!  Feeling a bit better today, but man yesterday was tough.

I feel you and I remember how much of a kick in the stomach it felt not getting in the first year it happened to me. But then the resale was an absolute cakewalk and has been a few times since. No one in our group has ever had to sit it out following the first sale and the resale. 

3 hours ago, UEF said:

Been going for just as long and would have agreed with you up until the last couple. 2017 had no secret resales and a lot of disappointed people.

3 hours ago, UEF said:

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Been going for just as long and would have agreed with you up until the last couple. 2017 had no secret resales and a lot of disappointed people.

Yep. Always used to say this, but don't think it is true any more.

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Indeed but were those people *truly* giving it everything they had in the official resale in April?