Ticket Day related reflections...a few thoughts about the festival as it is now.

gooner1990

I've been reading this forum and other social media platforms about this mornings sale and thought I'd jot a few of my thoughts that have gone on through the day as I eventually got on with life and went off for a family meal this afternoon to celebrate a birthday.

Context, I was trying to get tickets for my thirteenth Glastonbury in a row, and we had 8 people from my hometown trying to get tickets, plus I had another 20 or so mates (some of whom I usually camp with) dotted around the UK trying as well.

One group of six got sorted, the rest of us missed out, this is the 2nd time I've missed out in the main sale, the last time was in October 2014 for the 2015 festival when I then got tickets in the April coach resale.

1.  Groups and organisation.

EVERYONE is organised now, well pretty much, and even if you aren't someone you know already has put you into a group. Whatsapp groups, spreadsheets, facebook messenger etc everyone has caught onto that you need it and so thus theres no disorganisation when people get through and only book 1/2 tickets (unless an odd number in a group) even if you only need a small amount usually a mate of a mate has claime the other four in your pot in case you get through, which results in transastions of six happening a lot more now than before.

2. Technology.

EVERYONE now has either a smart phone, iPad, laptop etc lined up, and then multiple versions of them and getting friends and relatives who aren't going to help to maxmise chances of getting through.  Again, everyone has caught onto this being the best plan of attack and so everyone does it, so naurally tickets are going to sell faster.

3. Social Media 

Backdoor links (although not this year) are circulated around, tips, which brower to use etc spread like wildfire now thanks to efests, Twitter etc. The second someone shares something they've found then 20,000 people have usually seen it within a minute. This has worked for me as far back as my first G in 2004, and I recall the Oct 2012 hosts thing getting about 20 of us tickets.  

It also helps generate interest of the festival, you can go on YouTube and watch multiple vlogs of peoples festival to see what it like, something I didn't have back in 2004, I recall going to my first Reading in 1999 completly blind to what it would be like, ok I'd seen the ITV late night coverage before but all of the camping and assocated chaos I was completly blind to until I got there which was almost magical to me as it took me by suprise.

4. Bucket Listers

I've said this elsewhere on here, a lot of people see Glastonbury as the daddy of festivals, so if they've going to do one before they're 30/40/50/60 etc then it will be this one. Its also the most diverse so attracts people from all ages so will always see steady popularity.

5. BBC coverage

The coverage is 2nd to none, even when I started watching it back in 1997 it was brillant as it gave you a real insight into what it was like and it was actually safe to go to.  They hype it up to keep the interest going and hope it will churn over a new generation of festival goers.

6. Weather and Fallow Year

2017 we had great weather and also we've now just had a fallow year which may explain the record numbers trying, 2007 was a complete mudbath so 2008 really struggled (combined with the Jay-Z thing) to sell.  

My own personal thoughts is that for the next few years at least we are going to see sales like this (maybe even quicker), i don't think its newbies taking all the slots or whatever I think its just retained its audence for year after year as its so well slick and organised its just massivly massivly popular now.  The numbers of people in their 'groups' getting mentioned are all really really high, look at the girl in the article linked below, 108 in her group?! May sound slightly OTT but i've seen big groups of 50/60 all together at the festival, i think the most we had was 35 in 2011. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45733661

Has it become too poplular? Yes. Is that the organisers fault? No.  Could the system be fairer? Possibly?

Should I be assured of a ticket because i've been loads before or should that go to someone who's 22 who's not been before to see what its like, just as I did back in 2004. Its a hard one to call, smaller festivals need to look after their regulars because without them the festival would probably collapse, but Glastonbury is unique in that it doesn't need that anymore, it could sell 5 or 6 times over these days.

I'm gutted I don't have a ticket, but perhaps not as gutted as I would have been 5/6 years ago and with most of my other mates missing out its a slightly less bitter pill to swallow. I'm going to try for coach re-sale and main resale (if i don't get a coach one) and then if not just pick another festival to go to instead.

Glastonbury has given me some of my best memories, I've seen so many top acts, been on weird nights out there, seen relationships start there, and sadly one end. but its not my festival and its for all to enjoy so perhaps it just wasn't my turn this year.

Peace and love to you all. :)

• Like 8
  • Upvote 32

18 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I've been reading this forum and other social media platforms about this mornings sale and thought I'd jot a few of my thoughts that have gone on through the day as I eventually got on with life and went off for a family meal this afternoon to celebrate a birthday.

Context, I was trying to get tickets for my thirteenth Glastonbury in a row, and we had 8 people from my hometown trying to get tickets, plus I had another 20 or so mates (some of whom I usually camp with) dotted around the UK trying as well.

One group of six got sorted, the rest of us missed out, this is the 2nd time I've missed out in the main sale, the last time was in October 2014 for the 2015 festival when I then got tickets in the April coach resale.

1.  Groups and organisation.

EVERYONE is organised now, well pretty much, and even if you aren't someone you know already has put you into a group. Whatsapp groups, spreadsheets, facebook messenger etc everyone has caught onto that you need it and so thus theres no disorganisation when people get through and only book 1/2 tickets (unless an odd number in a group) even if you only need a small amount usually a mate of a mate has claime the other four in your pot in case you get through, which results in transastions of six happening a lot more now than before.

2. Technology.

EVERYONE now has either a smart phone, iPad, laptop etc lined up, and then multiple versions of them and getting friends and relatives who aren't going to help to maxmise chances of getting through.  Again, everyone has caught onto this being the best plan of attack and so everyone does it, so naurally tickets are going to sell faster.

3. Social Media 

Backdoor links (although not this year) are circulated around, tips, which brower to use etc spread like wildfire now thanks to efests, Twitter etc. The second someone shares something they've found then 20,000 people have usually seen it within a minute. This has worked for me as far back as my first G in 2004, and I recall the Oct 2012 hosts thing getting about 20 of us tickets.  

It also helps generate interest of the festival, you can go on YouTube and watch multiple vlogs of peoples festival to see what it like, something I didn't have back in 2004, I recall going to my first Reading in 1999 completly blind to what it would be like, ok I'd seen the ITV late night coverage before but all of the camping and assocated chaos I was completly blind to until I got there which was almost magical to me as it took me by suprise.

4. Bucket Listers

I've said this elsewhere on here, a lot of people see Glastonbury as the daddy of festivals, so if they've going to do one before they're 30/40/50/60 etc then it will be this one. Its also the most diverse so attracts people from all ages so will always see steady popularity.

5. BBC coverage

The coverage is 2nd to none, even when I started watching it back in 1997 it was brillant as it gave you a real insight into what it was like and it was actually safe to go to.  They hype it up to keep the interest going and hope it will churn over a new generation of festival goers.

6. Weather and Fallow Year

2017 we had great weather and also we've now just had a fallow year which may explain the record numbers trying, 2007 was a complete mudbath so 2008 really struggled (combined with the Jay-Z thing) to sell.  

My own personal thoughts is that for the next few years at least we are going to see sales like this (maybe even quicker), i don't think its newbies taking all the slots or whatever I think its just retained its audence for year after year as its so well slick and organised its just massivly massivly popular now.  The numbers of people in their 'groups' getting mentioned are all really really high, look at the girl in the article linked below, 108 in her group?! May sound slightly OTT but i've seen big groups of 50/60 all together at the festival, i think the most we had was 35 in 2011. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45733661

Has it become too poplular? Yes. Is that the organisers fault? No.  Could the system be fairer? Possibly?

Should I be assured of a ticket because i've been loads before or should that go to someone who's 22 who's not been before to see what its like, just as I did back in 2004. Its a hard one to call, smaller festivals need to look after their regulars because without them the festival would probably collapse, but Glastonbury is unique in that it doesn't need that anymore, it could sell 5 or 6 times over these days.

I'm gutted I don't have a ticket, but perhaps not as gutted as I would have been 5/6 years ago and with most of my other mates missing out its a slightly less bitter pill to swallow. I'm going to try for coach re-sale and main resale (if i don't get a coach one) and then if not just pick another festival to go to instead.

Glastonbury has given me some of my best memories, I've seen so many top acts, been on weird nights out there, seen relationships start there, and sadly one end. but its not my festival and its for all to enjoy so perhaps it just wasn't my turn this year.

Peace and love to you all. :)

I agree whole heartedly with everything you’ve said, especially the bit in bold.

In the last sale half of us failed and half of us succeeded, so it was particularly hard to take, eventually we all got there via the resale.

This year we had a complete shut out, which somehow makes it easier even though it’s likely we won’t all make it come resale.

Great post, it is genuinely one of my happy places and one of the highlights of my year. All my three older kids wanted to go this year for the first time. One of my son’s I had taken at 16 and one went for the first time last year (he certainly felt failure the most this morning!) However they all said they were happy for me as they know how much I love it. I said to them they’d have other years and other festivals!

I missed out today and although I didn’t think I would be, i am really gutted. Definitely put me on a bit of a downer today. I remember standing in the pyramid stage after Ed, reading the screen , “see you in 2019” and taking it all in knowing it would be 2 years. Well now it’s probably at least 3.

Saying that, I missed out in October 2014 for 2015 and it got me down for months and today is nothing compared to that. Im more gutted for my mate who went for the first time last year and was blown away. He hasn’t stopped going on about 2019 since we left and he’s devastated.

im glad some people will get to experience it for the first time but I do think the system is a bit antiquated. I also feel like Glasto is so in demand so sought after, maybe the 50 quid deposit is encouraging people who may not be fully behind going. A bit of a middle ground between overhauling the whole ticket selling process and making sure the people going are the ones who really want to go is to reintroduce paying the full balance of your ticket in October. Just a thought.

Great OP, thanks.

A lot of talk on social media and bit on here about introducing a ballot. IMO I do feel those who are prepared to put more effort in getting themselves organised to deserve an edge so I'm against it. The London Marathon have similar supply/demand problems and they operate a ballot which, if you look at social media, people absolutely hate (those that fail, anyway). They also let good for age runners bypass the ballot which Glasto can't do.

Actually forums like these have become victims of their own successes. Even the BBC has been trawling websites, then publishing hard gained knowledge for the masses to utilise. So now there is no advantage in being organised, as everyone else is too. 

I'm lucky as as a result of a recent move I no longer have to try for tickets, but I was trying this morning for friends and none of us were successful. Some of these have been for years, and it does seem to stick in the throat that there is no loyalty scheme, but of course the event needs new blood, and has no problem selling out without one. 

A few years ago I got twenty four tickets. Since not a sniff. I've relied on others. Today I got the holding screen, but it never "felt" like it was going to progress to a booking page. I suspect some are sent to a load balancer that is a dead end in fact. 

Add in the fact that the yoof of today have grown up with the internet, instinctively understand it and the digital world, then of course sales via the interweb have become highly competitive. 

The basic summation is too many want too few tickets. I'm sorted, but gutted my friends won't be there, as to me that is what the festival has become : one glorious reunion. So, I'll be there in April, desperately trying in the resale on their behalf, imagining I'm doing something wrong, and that if only I'd cleared my cache /used a VPN / used the laptop etc etc the outcome may have been favourable. 

Edited by Ohinever

3 minutes ago, Ohinever said:

Actually forums like these have become victims of their own success. Even the BBC has been trawling websites, then publishing hard gained knowledge for the masses to utilise. So now there is no advantage in being organised, as evetyone else is too. 

I do somehow feel that 'our' techniques (get organised in groups, multiple devices/ISPs, monitor eFests for backdoor links, secret sales etc) from, say, 2010 onwards are now so mainstream that any minor advantage we had (potentially placebo) are now null.

What used to be a stressful but rewarding day is now a total clusterfuck!  

(I got tickets via my brother for which I'm totally grateful but I once enjoyed T-Day and now I dread it...)

30 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

im glad some people will get to experience it for the first time but I do think the system is a bit antiquated. I also feel like Glasto is so in demand so sought after, maybe the 50 quid deposit is encouraging people who may not be fully behind going. A bit of a middle ground between overhauling the whole ticket selling process and making sure the people going are the ones who really want to go is to reintroduce paying the full balance of your ticket in October. Just a thought.

I agree with this tbh.  I know its there to help people who can't afford the full £250 in one go but also, like you say it encourages people who aren't that bothered to try knowing they'll only lose £15 if they don't like the line up (or heavily rumoured one).

Wonder what the reaction would be if it was scrapped? 

Again, great post. We were lucky (again) and am thankful of that. I'm of an age (42) and been enough (this will be my 14th) that I had the back up of willing to work (the time out would've been quite nice) so almost had set myself up to not get tickets. I would never agree just because you've been before you should get preference. We all have a first time and everyone (for whatever reason) should get the chance to experience the most amazing week of the year.  A ballot is a rubbish idea!

I would agree the BBC coverage (and I echo the praise of their coverage!) drives a lot of interest. Added to that is that festivals (including and especially Glastonbury) are no longer seen as a dower experience to camp at.  I agree that a good weather year makes the following year harder to get tickets as some that have a mud bath are sometimes less likely to return (light weights!) but I think we are now always gonna see sell outs in less than an hour. But according to this (https://theglastonburythingy.weebly.com/the-thingy.html) 2010 took 12 hours and 2009 was a heat wave.

Technology (not so lots of internet connected devices but better servers) is the reason for the quick sell out. I think we are now in an age that you set your self up on an October Sunday morning , be well organised, and take you chance. 

I missed out for 2004 & 2101 but got lucky in the resale. I would say I had friends work Oxfam last year (after not getting tickets) and loved it. They didn't get today and will do the same.

I hope Gooner1990 gets sorted and look forward to seeing folk in Somerset in June.

Peace x

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Baby On A Stick said:

I would agree the BBC coverage (and I echo the praise of their coverage!) drives a lot of interest. Added to that is that festivals (including and especially Glastonbury) are no longer seen as a dower experience to camp at.  I agree that a good weather year makes the following year harder to get tickets as some that have a mud bath are sometimes less likely to return (light weights!) but I think we are now always gonna see sell outs in less than an hour. But according to this (https://theglastonburythingy.weebly.com/the-thingy.html) 2010 took 12 hours and 2009 was a heat wave.

Heatwave was 2010. 2009 was average with some rain.