Resale Club 2019

McCor

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, Pipine said:

I got a last min stewarding job with Oxfam on the friday before the festival..  couldn't recommend it more highly, it made my festival.. the Oxfam camp is fantastic, the people are lovely, I lucked out with the shift pattern and got 2 shifts out of the way before friday and i was just so grateful to be there that it made everything seem even more amazing than usual.  I really enjoyed being part of the festival and giving something back.  The overnight shift did wipe me out, I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours after it as it was so hot in my tent so that took my energy levels down a bit but I still had an amazing time.  probably my favourite year out of the 15 I've been to.

I didn't get a ticket to Glastonbury, this year and so didn't go. So I thought I'd volunteer at Lattitude Festival, this week, with Hotbox events. The plan was to volunteer at Glastonbury, next year, if it all went O.K. I turned up last Tuesday, went to a briefing, had a few meals and drank loads of coffee. Then the woman in charge, just, flipped!!!?

This weird woman got really nasty and started acting really funny with me, for, absolutely, no reason; in a really strange way. So I  got my deposit back and left, Lattitude Festival, before I'd done any shifts. So it looks like volunteering isn't a really practical option. Saying that though. I don't think I care too much for a Glastonbury ticket, after that. It's obvious to me, that all that, work for your ticket stuff, is just a con. Glastonbury festival now seems like a bit of a joke to me.

Edited by stt11
punctuation

1 hour ago, stt11 said:

I didn't get a ticket to Glastonbury, this year and so didn't go. So I thought I'd volunteer at Lattitude Festival, this week, with Hotbox events. The plan was to volunteer at Glastonbury, next year, if it all went O.K. I turned up last Tuesday, went to a briefing, had a few meals and drank loads of coffee. Then the woman in charge, just, flipped!!!?

This weird woman got really nasty and started acting really funny with me, for, absolutely, no reason; in a really strange way. So I  got my deposit back and left, Lattitude Festival, before I'd done any shifts. So it looks like volunteering isn't a really practical option. Saying that though. I don't think I care too much for a Glastonbury ticket, after that. It's obvious to me, that all that, work for your ticket stuff, is just a con. Glastonbury festival now seems like a bit of a joke to me.

I'm slightly confused - Hotbox Events don't have any connection to or or any roles at Glastonbury so I'm not sure why why you'd be using them as a potential route in or why a bad experience with them at Latitude would affect your perception of Glastonbury?

21 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm slightly confused - Hotbox Events don't have any connection to or or any roles at Glastonbury so I'm not sure why why you'd be using them as a potential route in or why a bad experience with them at Latitude would affect your perception of Glastonbury?

What I'm really saying, is this. After witnessing what I did, it became obvious, that all the major festivals blatantly break all the wrong employment laws. From where I was standing, It also seemed obvious, that Glastonbury were probably the leaders in this trend. If not the sole cause of it.

4 hours ago, stt11 said:

What I'm really saying, is this. After witnessing what I did, it became obvious, that all the major festivals blatantly break all the wrong employment laws. From where I was standing, It also seemed obvious, that Glastonbury were probably the leaders in this trend. If not the sole cause of it.

I volunteered for the first time this year with Oxfam at Glastonbury and quite honestly couldn't disagree more. You are provided a "safer" place to camp, facilities, food and a festival ticket all in exchange for 24 hours work. The ticket cost alone makes that worth at least £10 an hour, which is pretty insane considering you are a volunteer!

The Oxfam management were pretty open with the fact that people make mistakes and over-estimate their abilities to recover from drink/drugs/general exhaustion and promoted being honest to them so they could move your shifts, help you out or whatever else is deemed appropriate.

Personally I would have preferred a ticket however volunteering is still a clear amount better than not going at all!

What did you actually experience? It sounds like you just had a disagreement with your supervisor and that has tarnished all volunteering prospects for you in the future?

1 hour ago, PrenticeH said:

I volunteered for the first time this year with Oxfam at Glastonbury and quite honestly couldn't disagree more. You are provided a "safer" place to camp, facilities, food and a festival ticket all in exchange for 24 hours work. The ticket cost alone makes that worth at least £10 an hour, which is pretty insane considering you are a volunteer!

The Oxfam management were pretty open with the fact that people make mistakes and over-estimate their abilities to recover from drink/drugs/general exhaustion and promoted being honest to them so they could move your shifts, help you out or whatever else is deemed appropriate.

Personally I would have preferred a ticket however volunteering is still a clear amount better than not going at all!

What did you actually experience? It sounds like you just had a disagreement with your supervisor and that has tarnished all volunteering prospects for you in the future?

I think you're wrong. I think all these people are just snobs.

• Downvote 2

10 hours ago, stt11 said:

How on earth have you made this assumption? 

7 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

How on earth have you made this assumption? 

All I know is that in the Glastonbury of the mid-nineties Emily Eavis's mother used to pride herself, on telling female Oasis fans, to shove of. Emily makes a big deal about the fact that even though she's a woman, she doesn't mind duffing up women for the bands. In short she's a lout.

2 hours ago, stt11 said:

All I know is that in the Glastonbury of the mid-nineties Emily Eavis's mother used to pride herself, on telling female Oasis fans, to shove of. Emily makes a big deal about the fact that even though she's a woman, she doesn't mind duffing up women for the bands. In short she's a lout.

So, let me get this straight, because Emily Eavis apparently emulates her Mother's (mythical) penchant for violence towards Brit Pop followers the Festival in general exercises a lawless approach towards the employment of workers engaged by the charitable organisations it purports to support?  Why haven't you mentioned the loft full of fivers Michael sleeps in as well?

This makes 'A Clockwork Orange' look like a documentary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

So, let me get this straight, because Emily Eavis apparently emulates her Mother's (mythical) penchant for violence towards Brit Pop followers the Festival in general exercises a lawless approach towards the employment of workers engaged by the charitable organisations it purports to support?  Why haven't you mentioned the loft full of fivers Michael sleeps in as well?

This makes 'A Clockwork Orange' look like a documentary.

I just think that now Emily's started, violently lashing out at people, using the festival, the festival should be closed down.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:55 PM, Big durbs said:

Check you out with the 100 positive feedback, hope your well Oz

Wow....this might have to go on the CV ?

I’m doing ok thanks it’s my birthday today, hope you are too. Not long till we find out if we are in Resale club again!

• Upvote 2

Hoping not to be part of the resale club next year, but if not successful in October or April I'm not going to stress myself out like I did this year trying to get there as I wasn't relaxed even up until the Tuesday before the festival, that definitely affected me enjoying the festival as much this year.

19 hours ago, Padgey said:

Hoping not to be part of the resale club next year, but if not successful in October or April I'm not going to stress myself out like I did this year trying to get there as I wasn't relaxed even up until the Tuesday before the festival, that definitely affected me enjoying the festival as much this year.

Now I'd have thought a last minute way in would add to the excitement but can understand why it would be stressful!

Did you work it in the end?

I'm not sure I'm even going to try for a ticket in October.  I'll help mates out but I think I'll just work it again.  A whole week on the farm was pure bliss.