Resale Club 2019

McCor

I have ruled out the opportunity for volunteering this year at this stage

But how does it work? Been onto the Oxfam site a couple of times now just purely to check and seems like you have to pay the deposit before even being accepted / allocated a position? So you'll get it back if they don't accept you? (due to experience or lack thereof, or other places being allocated etc)

And what are the procedures / likelyhood for someone who has never volunteered or worked at a festival before? 

It's definitely something I'd consider for next year, there's lot of benefits, plus you're giving back to the festival which has given us so much over the years

3 minutes ago, pentura said:

I have ruled out the opportunity for volunteering this year at this stage

But how does it work? Been onto the Oxfam site a couple of times now just purely to check and seems like you have to pay the deposit before even being accepted / allocated a position? So you'll get it back if they don't accept you? (due to experience or lack thereof, or other places being allocated etc)

And what are the procedures / likelyhood for someone who has never volunteered or worked at a festival before? 

It's definitely something I'd consider for next year, there's lot of benefits, plus you're giving back to the festival which has given us so much over the years

For Oxfam, payment of the deposit is effectively the confirmation of the place. It's first come first served and the system should only accept the deposit payment if there's places left, at that point there's only a very limited set of scenarios under which they don't accept you:

- You don't provide the information requested - Photo, address, emergency contact, etc
- You don't get trained prior to your first festival - they do tend to help with this if the initial options are genuinely unsuitable
- Your reference doesn't come back, or comes back bad
- You've already been banned by Oxfam or by another company that shares the blacklist

Provided all that checks out OK (and as far as I'm concerned those are all within your own hands), there's no real obstacles. The only other thing I can think of is if Oxfam unexpectedly lose the contract with the festival late on, which happened at a much smaller event a couple years ago, but isn't going to happen at Glastonbury for a variety of reasons.

Because it's first come first served, never volunteered before or experience isn't a factor once it gets past the initial priority window and opens to the General Public. It definitely doesn't result in people being refused - they like to encourage first time volunteers at Glastonbury with the hope that they'll then decide to add other festivals.

Thanks for the info incident! 

It's something I've been interested in for a while now but never pulled the trigger on. At this stage in the game it's likely that people are applying purely to get into the festival (whether they do a runner or not), which is understandable, but I've heard quite positive experiences of people who have volunteered in the past - especially from people on here, so I'm genuinely interested.

I remember reading that previous experience with an organisation (Oxfam, Wateraid, Greenpeace etc.) increase your chances of getting offered a place, but interesting to hear that anyone who has £250 spare can pretty much guarantee themselves into the festival if there's a position available with said organisations. 

Certainly something I'll keep in mind for next year! 

2 minutes ago, Desperate said:

I don’t want to be a negative nelly but with the fact that the resale still hasn’t happened and people’s concerns are starting to show I am just wondering if anybody has ever travelled down without a ticket and been successful? 

Yeah for ten years in a row probably ... in the eighties. Chances now are close to nil. The only way would be to get yourself smuggled in in a vehicle, very risky.

7 minutes ago, Desperate said:

I don’t want to be a negative nelly but with the fact that the resale still hasn’t happened and people’s concerns are starting to show I am just wondering if anybody has ever travelled down without a ticket and been successful? 

Twix.......................

Just now, pentura said:

I remember reading that previous experience with an organisation (Oxfam, Wateraid, Greenpeace etc.) increase your chances of getting offered a place, but interesting to hear that anyone who has £250 spare can pretty much guarantee themselves into the festival if there's a position available with said organisations.

That's something that will very much vary by organisation - and even by role within the organisation.

For example when I say Oxfam, I've been using it as a shorthand for the Oxfam Stewarding operation, which has by far the most number of places - but they also recruit Campaigners, and Shop staff, each with their own criteria. I believe that Campaigners need to effectively audition, providing a youtube video of how they'd interact with the public, before  their place is confirmed. Shop Staff need to have at least 3 months experience working in a real world Oxfam shop.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Shop Staff need to have at least 3 months experience working in a real world Oxfam shop.

My local Oxfam shop is full of old women and/or crackheads, and that's just the staff.

Edited by Cooter

3 minutes ago, incident said:

That's something that will very much vary by organisation - and even by role within the organisation.

For example when I say Oxfam, I've been using it as a shorthand for the Oxfam Stewarding operation, which has by far the most number of places - but they also recruit Campaigners, and Shop staff, each with their own criteria. I believe that Campaigners need to effectively audition, providing a youtube video of how they'd interact with the public, before  their place is confirmed. Shop Staff need to have at least 3 months experience working in a real world Oxfam shop.

Yeah I remember reading those requirements for the Shop staff - obviously handling money and being that involved with the public will come with it's own vetting processes which is totally understandable.

Stewarding positions seems to be the most common. I'm definitely gonna keep and eye and ear out on this. Will be great to hear some experiences of those volunteering after the festival this year!

On 5/9/2019 at 9:23 AM, ledwards said:

Is there a section of the thingy for secret resales? I can't find anything! 

There's nothing on there, I always thought it was best left secr....... hang on.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, Nobody Interesting said:

Refund - Friday May 3rd
Resale - Wednesday May 8th

Refund - Friday May 9th
Resale - Wednesday May 14th - 2pm
Refund - Friday May 8th
Resale - Monday May 18th - 3pm
Lasted 13 mins approx
Refund - Friday May 6th
Resale - Thursday May 12th - 3.00pm
Lasted 2 mins approx

There was no secret resale in 2017

pjtr1.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Desperate said:

As someone just said the only way really is to have someone provide you with a wristband (some workers ones - i can't remember exactly) or you are smuggled in via back of van. A friend of mine did the latter successfully in 2016. I could never imagine going down with all my belongings not knowing if i'd get in or not though, to be honest.

6 minutes ago, FestiZebra said:

As someone just said the only way really is to have someone provide you with a wristband (some workers ones - i can't remember exactly) or you are smuggled in via back of van. A friend of mine did the latter successfully in 2016. I could never imagine going down with all my belongings not knowing if i'd get in or not though, to be honest.

I know this seems like a big risk but as you can see from my username, I am desperate ?

19 minutes ago, rich@ said:

Hate to say it I have noticed that registration for tickets has been open since just after the re-sale in April

Would they allow new registrations to get tickets?

Or am I wrong?

You’re wrong, the only time ticket registration closes is prior to and during the main sale and resale. Since the ‘secret’ sale is never officially a thing there is no need to close registration.

32 minutes ago, wonker said:

Ain't gonna happen today, is it? You know chaps, I'm not feeling too confident about a resale at all this year...

That sort of attitude would have seen you burned at the stake during the great non secret sale of 2017...

1 minute ago, FestiZebra said:

The one that I'm convinced would definitely get you past the gate staff every time is to get a reasonably accurate Police uniform & accesories, and walk straight through the gate. Uniformed police are the one group exempt from wristband checks and none of the gate staff will be looking too closely at their ID/badge numbers even if they could spot the difference.

Obviously you can't take any bags in like that, it gives the game away.

It does carry it's own risks though. It'd be a pisser to get through the gate only to walk into a real copper who didn't see the funny side.

3 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Cheers for the reminder that this wasn't included on my post, amended now - wonder why Neil @eFestivals  has missed it off the fund raising blurb?  

I chose to leave it off as it ruffles a few feathers, as it's seen as making money off the festival by some. It's not actually an issue with GF tho, it's something I've discussed with them.

But also, the more people using the less chance each of those users has of getting tickets - so I reckon the balance caused by not heavily advertising it works out for the best overall.

16 minutes ago, FestiZebra said:

Unless they are workers, going in the back of a van will only get you as far as the car parks right? 

Think I seen a post on here about going in via those platform trucks with cling film wrapped around to prevent the security checking. I would hate be either party in this scenario, on one hand you are cling-filmed into a wheel barrow with  potential of getting caught and on the other hand you could successfully sneak your mate in with your belongings and even possibly have a very dead body on your hands. I think sneaking into Glastonbury is the least of your worries in that case! 

Edited by pentura