Working The Festival

MichaelsBeard

Sadly missed out today. First time in 10 festivals I’ve not been successful. 

BUT firmly of the opinion if you really want to attend the festival there’s always a way. What is the most viable option of working the festival? Stewarding? Bar work? Litter picking crew? What would be the likelihood of getting a spot? 

Any links and advice would be greatly appreciated. Congrats to all who got tickets I *will* see you at the farm. One way  or another. 

Just now, TheNewUnion said:

I believe Oxfam requires you to have worked for them before you get Glastonbury. 

Nope they give you priority you have done a certain number of festies with them anyone can sign up and go for it, register now booking opens in March 

As per my other post

I have worked 5 times on the recycling crew (litter picking and traders information). Next year I'll be back for my 6th year. I found it a good alternative way to get to the festival that avoids the scrum for tickets and is a cheaper way of getting there as you get your deposit back provided you do your shifts. 

Applications open in the new year but preference given to those that have worked previously and by all accounts I think it will be popular so not sure how many new people will be accepted. 

Fiona is the lady you need to contact. Here details are on the job section of the festival website (due to the ticket sales full website isn't accessible at the mo so can't post exact page)

16 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Do you know if there’s any preference if someone who’d worked it before recommended you? I have a mate who’s done bar work the last couple of years. 

it does not work that way - Shelter will spring up and they will take on so many new people but ' its likely that previous Volunteers are given priority ' but there is still a good chance # if you apply at the right time #

Avalon has various bars and depending on which one it may be 8 hour shifts but they do run a few Bars that may ' split shifts ' - its all down to luck as to what shifts you get and which bar - and its unlikely that they will allow any shift changes.

its shifts that catch out most new Volunteers as they think # they should have the choice when they can work # but they don't 

It was only after 25 years being a WBC volunteer was I given the option as to where I can work and what hours I do. 

Shelter/Avalon does have a training day - god knows where the locations are but you must complete it - they will also want a £300 deposit { which may be higher next year }

the Avalon Crew facilities are nearly as good as the WBC - 

to be safe start looking at the end of January on efest and also FB { or it may be later }  

https://www.facebook.com/ShelterUK/ as they are bound to post the link - once its open - you have to be fast and do it that morning - once they have enough numbers up will come a wait list '  

Edited by glasto-worker
Make it tidy

5 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

it does not work that way - Shelter will spring up and they will take on so many new people but ' its likely that previous Volunteers are given priority ' but there is still a good chance # if you apply at the right time #

Avalon has various bars and depending on which one it may be 8 hour shifts but they do run a few Bars that may ' split shifts ' - its all down to luck as to what shifts you get and which bar - and its unlikely that they will allow any shift changes.

its shifts that catch out most new Volunteers as they think # they should have the choice when they can work # but they don't 

It was only after 25 years being a WBC volunteer was I given the option as to where I can work and what hours I do. 

Shelter/Avalon does have a training day - god knows where the locations are but you must complete it - they will also want a £300 deposit { which may be higher next year }

the Avalon Crew facilities are nearly as good as the WBC - 

to be safe start looking at the end of January on efest and also FB { or it may be later }  

https://www.facebook.com/ShelterUK/ as they are bound to post the link - once its open - you have to be fast and do it that morning - once they have enough numbers up will come a wait list '  

You all recovered and planning on being back next year?

7 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I plan to provided I don't drop down dead - next year it will be 40 years since I first walked into Worthy farm and 30 years since I became a volunteer.

Impressive track record as a volunteer.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:56 PM, scorp said:

Impressive track record as a volunteer.

but I am slowing down fast so at some stage I will have to decide who should take over my Team - made more difficult as many have been with me 25 years so its a near impossible decision as there is many who know the job backwards.

I would be lost if I went to Glasto as a ticket holder as its a completely different experience so I may continue for a few more and then see how I feel.

2 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I can't recommend working on the bars through Shelter enough.  I've done it twice and each time had an amazing time.

I've also worked for DC site services but I would not recommend them.  If you have no other option then its better than not going but I did not enjoy my times with them.

Do Shelter do all of the bars or is there another company who do some of them?

also how come you wouldn't recommend working for DC site services?

6 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

WBC do the largest main bars

Avalon (via Shelter) do most of the rest

Refresh West do the ones in Arcadia and Shangri-La

And there's a few stand-alone operations, but as far as I can tell these don't tend to recruit publicly (Cider Bus, Brothers, Bimble Inn etc).

Just had this useful (albeit widely advertised!!) link sent in my weekly email from MSE - 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2018/10/missed-out-on-glastonbury-tickets--how-you-can-still-go-for-free/

Includes info and registration links for various organisations including Oxfam Shelter, Festaff, WaterAid, litter picking etc.

46 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

also how come you wouldn't recommend working for DC site services?

They have had a lot of trouble with volunteers doing runners, leaving them very short to do the stewarding jobs.

It wasn't the greatest atmosphere in the camp.  I may be biased as when I worked for them in '17, I got there at 10pm (because I was on the stand by list and only got the green light that afternoon).  The manager wouldn't give me a wristband straight away as I didn't have my tent with me (My mates had brought a tent for me, unfortunately they were in the festival and couldn't get through to them.  I did know where they were camped though) and treated me as if I was going to do a runner, even though I said I would leave all of my stuff at the crew camp.

Luckily I had my sleeping bag with me so was able to get some scattered sleep in the catering tent overnight but I was quite angry to say the least.  

That and there were shifts every day so it was very disruptive to the enjoyment of the festival.

As a last resort, its ok but I wouldn't go for it if you want to enjoy the festival to any reasonable level.

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

Probably going under my own steam as I have a ticket but I'll probably to do Bearded Theory and Womad with Oxfam.

Well done to catch a ticket - last ticket I bought it was £21 !!! - I have a little badge made up from that ticket as people still think it was never that low.Any clue where you will be camping ? - At Glasto I work in the WBC Crew Bar so there is not much walking involved and I can normally arrange a buggy lift down to the stages - I am not sure how many other events I will do - will make my mind up in a few Months .It will take years before I am fully mobile again.

53044_n.jpg.aab2872f643b7d414f5d96d0152fd394.jpg

7 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Well done to catch a ticket - last ticket I bought it was £21 !!! - I have a little badge made up from that ticket as people still think it was never that low.Any clue where you will be camping ? - At Glasto I work in the WBC Crew Bar so there is not much walking involved and I can normally arrange a buggy lift down to the stages - I am not sure how many other events I will do - will make my mind up in a few Months .It will take years before I am fully mobile again.

53044_n.jpg.aab2872f643b7d414f5d96d0152fd394.jpg

I'll be camping in Darble, it will be good to meet up if you can manage it.

2 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

I'll be camping in Darble, it will be good to meet up if you can manage it.

Part of that field { Darble } used to be the WBC Crew site - we moved in 2009 to Bushy ground { which was not public at the time } and in 2010 we crossed the crew access road ' next to VG4 ' and we have been there ever since - photo points to that camp and Gate D is behind the camera - we will sort something out.

2010-wbc-02.thumb.jpg.797e3ce8cc2b9362682c519a1eb4fc24.jpg