Stay with kids at family camping or on a regular (quiet) field

rinzeanne

We managed to get tickets today, and for the first time we would like to bring our kids.

They will be 9 and 11 at the time of the festival.

For the last 4 times, the two of us camped at Rivermead, close to gate A, where the coaches arrive. Relatively quiet and peaceful over there. Not a bad place to stay with kids as well I assume.

Any recommendations if we should go to the family camping or not? Pros, cons?

I'm not really into a whole bunch of small toddlers that are awake during the night, etc.

but don't have any experience on what's it like at the family camping.

7 hours ago, rinzeanne said:

We managed to get tickets today, and for the first time we would like to bring our kids.

They will be 9 and 11 at the time of the festival.

For the last 4 times, the two of us camped at Rivermead, close to gate A, where the coaches arrive. Relatively quiet and peaceful over there. Not a bad place to stay with kids as well I assume.

Any recommendations if we should go to the family camping or not? Pros, cons?

I'm not really into a whole bunch of small toddlers that are awake during the night, etc.

but don't have any experience on what's it like at the family camping.

We stayed in Wicket in 2017 with two toddlers. Loads of space, great volunteers helping out, and definitely enough space to be comfortable.. 

Lots of older children there too, so definitely recommend if you’re looking for something a bit closer than Rivermead.

• Like 1

It’s well out of the way, but if it’s space you’re after then I remember having a kickabout (on the Saturday morning this was) with one of those plastic footballs that turns anyone into Roberto Carlos in Bailey’s field. Large swathes of grass everywhere. Best five night’s sleep I’ve ever had at G, too. 

Have a great festival! 

• Like 1

I personally would avoid making any camping decisions until close to the festival when a ground report and more reliable weather forecast is available. Both Rivermead and Wicket are relatively less crowded and quieter however they are more prone to flooding and mud. If the ground conditions are filfy looking I'd take to the hills making sure I camped away from roadways. However this can mean a longer walk to desired areas and a tired uphill trek back with younger ones in tow. Not ideal.

Anywhere down the hill form Gate A is usually really good. We have camped in Rivermead or Pylon every year in the last the last 7 or so and have found it lovely and quiet each time. Bushy is nice as well I believe. What I would suggest is heading to the fences/edges of these fields where there is more space and is generally a lot quitter than the main paths (although you might want to avoid the fences to the east (towards the Pyramid side) because there can be quite a bit of traffic noise next to these fence early in the morning. Folk have always been  very nice and respectful as well

13 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Anywhere down the hill form Gate A is usually really good. We have camped in Rivermead or Pylon every year in the last the last 7 or so and have found it lovely and quiet each time. Bushy is nice as well I believe. What I would suggest is heading to the fences/edges of these fields where there is more space and is generally a lot quitter than the main paths (although you might want to avoid the fences to the east (towards the Pyramid side) because there can be quite a bit of traffic noise next to these fence early in the morning. Folk have always been  very nice and respectful as well

Last 5 times we stayed with the both of us at Rivermead/ Pylon Ground and what you describe is exactly what we sensed: nice, friendly, safe. 

However not a lot of kids, so probably it will be Wicket Ground this time with the four of us...

27 minutes ago, rinzeanne said:

Last 5 times we stayed with the both of us at Rivermead/ Pylon Ground and what you describe is exactly what we sensed: nice, friendly, safe. 

However not a lot of kids, so probably it will be Wicket Ground this time with the four of us...

Yes that's very true, not many kids in Pylon/Rivermead. Just nice, respectful and quiet. What I need at my age!