The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

2 hours ago, Wakey321 said:

2016 was awful but id rather be on the farm in the rain and mud than sat at work!

Ah, 2016, the last time I was on the farm.  

I spent the first half of 2016 picturing myself on the Sunday afternoon of Glastonbury, basking in the sun as ELO knocked out possibly my favourite song of all time.  Definitely top 3.  Mr Blue Sky.  It would be a perfect moment.

The reality proved a little less perfect. I remember vividly the moment, as Jeff and crew played the opening bars, Mr Grey Sky started pissing down on us.  I still tried to bounce up and down a little, but the thick sticky mud made it very hard work and I soon gave up, as my wife stood in front of me, quietly shedding a few tears at the grimness of it all.

• Like 1

Suggestive of Atlantic trough and downstream ridge, and hinting at dissipation of the Greenland high, there's not much of an anomaly left here come T240.  Some comments earlier in the thread look wide of the mark to me, the trend is for improvement for UK summer weather, will take a little longer for anyone to claim heat waves etc. for sure, but improvement nonetheless.

That's the latest Netweather post - trying to downplay the doom.

What is important, however, is that the doom on there is that the latest run does not make it great for the whole of the UK.

HOWEVER, the latest run DOES still say good weather for the south and south-west - compared to the north.

Also, as said previously, we don't even need a traditional heatwave... after the June we've had 22 degrees and sun will feel tropical!

• Upvote 1

Surely this has got to be the coldest June to date so far? Had the heating on since Saturday in the nights at home. Was wearing a shirt, jacket and coat to work today and I was still freezing. Already forgotten what the sun looks like.

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Has anybody got the time or inclination to go back and look at what we were all saying two weeks before 2017?

This day equivalent to this in 2017: 

Looks like we were pretty uncertain, switching from blazing sun to floods in the space of a day.

Still though - a lot more talk of sun in the lead up that year.

• Upvote 1

I went to Iceland last year and became rather obsessed with the weather. It became clear that they have opposite weather to the UK. They are about to go into a run of up to 23 degrees and in Reykjavik they have had to water gardens/lawns (compete opposite to last year). Fingers crossed their good weather passes...

2 hours ago, xandercs12 said:

On that forum someone also said this

Ridiculous negativity after that ECM run- it's actually showing MUCH warmer conditions than we have at the moment so I don't get what the flood of moaning is about. A warm and humid week showing on the ECM

Understandable if you're in Scotland or Northern Ireland that you wouldn't be a fan of this run, but most of the moaners aren't!

The other thing is, while it would be nice, we don't necessarily need pressure to lower over Greenland for something warmer to come our way.

maybe not all hope is lost

Yep, as someone mentioned on here, that thread is chasing a heatwave, so if the forecast is 19-20 degrees in the south west then they’ll make out its awful weather, when in fact that would be more than pleasant enough for us.

34 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Yep, as someone mentioned on here, that thread is chasing a heatwave, so if the forecast is 19-20 degrees in the south west then they’ll make out its awful weather, when in fact that would be more than pleasant enough for us.

Spot on here I'd argue - a bit dull with some sun and cloud is perfect festival weather but their idea of a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

I went to Iceland last year and became rather obsessed with the weather. It became clear that they have opposite weather to the UK. They are about to go into a run of up to 23 degrees and in Reykjavik they have had to water gardens/lawns (compete opposite to last year). Fingers crossed their good weather passes...

Yeah it’s nuts over there, gets to about 18 degrees at most usually and they’re all taking their tops off basking in it. 

I think I’m in the minority but I don’t want a heatwave 17-19 degrees is perfect Festival weather in my opinion, it’s always easy to just put a jumper on. Dry is the key especially in the Wednesday to set up.

To be fair tho I still don’t think 2016 was that bad, yes muddy but not actually that wet, so I almost certainly am in a minority 

As long as it is dry, that is all that matters to me.

Watched the local SW weather yesterday. They said shit this week then will be drying up and hotting up next week. At the end of June will probably be dry and warm. Then dropped the-  but at the start of July we expect a lot of rain for a short period.  So if that moves in a bit then bad news

However I been here long enough to know we get the same stuff every year of having no idea what it will be with it going from wet to dry all the time. and only knowing very close to the festival.

Fun though

Edited by fred quimby