The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Gav seemed pretty set on it being really muddy from the rain before the gates open. I’d reckon given the heat and the downgrading of the rain on Sunday-Tuesday it will probably dry out but what do I know?

Looks set to be baking hot.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Gav seemed pretty set on it being really muddy from the rain before the gates open. I’d reckon given the heat and the downgrading of the rain on Sunday-Tuesday it will probably dry out but what do I know?

He often talks about the site like it’s going to be really muddy but I don’t think he knows what the ground is actually like. On paper, with all the rain over the last couple weeks, the site should be a lot worse but it has dodged all the bad rain so is fine. I think there may be mud on arrival but will easily dry out in half a day or so

Anyone not preparing for a week of mud, potential downpours and sticky humid weather is not grasping the type of weather we are set for.

Hate to get all Nal on you but barring something quite fabulous happening, hot, wet, sticky and muddy will come to define next week's weather.

OK. Fully sold on the occasional thunderstorm/downpour but assuming these are 20-30 mins long and we get banging hot weather in between, we're good as gold! 

At this rate, expecting a constant fast rate of flux between bog/hard ground in the first few days but generally manageable. 

Just now, T-Mouse said:

Anyone not preparing for a week of mud, potential downpours and sticky humid weather is not grasping the type of weather we are set for.

Hate to get all Nal on you but barring something quite fabulous happening, hot, wet, sticky and muddy will come to define next week's weather.

I’m fine with some mud, but the insinuation was 2016 style mud, which I don’t think we’re close to. Too hot for that.

I’m expecting infrequent but heavy downpours, the type that last 15 minutes but drench the place, and super humid weather.

5 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

It’s the constant threat of thunderstorms which concerns me. 250,000 people outside with met office warnings of thunderstorms is surely something event management are watching extremely closely.

The threat of one storm is one thing. Days of warnings and multiple storms is quite another and dare I say it a potential health and safety issue.

Let’s hope it doesn’t come too far west and the forecast sends these fuckers away.

Just now, jparx said:

I’m fine with some mud, but the insinuation was 2016 style mud, which I don’t think we’re close to. Too hot for that.

I’m expecting infrequent but heavy downpours, the type that last 15 minutes but drench the place, and super humid weather.

Hopefully we can rule out 2016 mud nearer the fest but I do fear alot is hinging on that rain forecast for just before the fest. That could undo all the good work this weekends sunshine will hopefully do. 

Right now I'm trying my best to stay positive about the overall outlook but it's just so dicey. We will have been unbelievably lucky to avoid a proper deluge at some point if things get as hot and muggy as they're supposed to. 

I'm also really hoping that temps aren't as ridiculous at night as they're scheduled to be. That could be very uncomfortable.

18 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

That link does have some interesting facts in it...

• The highest rainfall in a day came in 2007, when 60.1mm was recorded in a 24 hour period. (2.5 inches!)
  • The highest ever temperature recorded at Glastonbury Festival was 31.2 degrees on the Wednesday of 2017.
  • 2017 also saw the highest ever daily low temperature, as 17.6 degrees was the lowest temperature recorded in a 24 hour period.
  • The lowest ever temperature recorded at Glastonbury was 4.2 degrees in 1987, while the strongest gust was recorded at 40mph in 1985.

8 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

It’s the constant threat of thunderstorms which concerns me. 250,000 people outside with met office warnings of thunderstorms is surely something event management are watching extremely closely.

The threat of one storm is one thing. Days of warnings and multiple storms is quite another and dare I say it a potential health and safety issue.

Let’s hope it doesn’t come too far west and the forecast sends these fuckers away.

Aye for sho. Emily and the top brass will no doubt be putting plans into place to handle it all if things look like they're going that way. Only so much they can do really.

This far out it's still impossible for any of us to say anything with certainty regarding thunderstorms and rainfall but the ingredients for something biblical are all there.

It could get fucking wild and people need to be prepared.

Edited by T-Mouse

1 minute ago, T-Mouse said:

Aye for sho. Emily and the top brass will no doubt be putting plans into place to handle it all if things look like they're going that way. Only so much they can do really.

This far out it's still impossible for any of us to say anything with certainty regarding thunderstorms and rainfall but the ingredients for something biblical are all there.

It could get fucking wild and people need to be prepared.

Fingers crossed it fucks off. Emergency planning guys will step in if get too dicey. No one wants a cancellation.

10 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

This. Proper thunder storms and camping don’t mix. Normal advice would be to get in your car but at a Festival not practical. Fingers crossed it misses us but agree that anyone not preparing for mud is foolish with these forecasts. 

29 minutes ago, jparx said:

He's never been anywhere near a festival. 

5 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Fingers crossed it fucks off. Emergency planning guys will step in if get too dicey. No one wants a cancellation.

PMSL. You really think the festival will get cancelled due to a bit of thunder and lightning. Absolutely no chance!!!

Well I’ve landed in London and realise I’ve left my raincoat in Melbourne. Terrific. I do have a poncho though. I had hoped to use the former for showers and the latter for a mat to sit on seeing as it won’t rain hard enough to wear it.