The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Heatwave conditions on the other hand, you can take to the bank!

Apart from (forget which year) it was widely predicted to be a barbecue summer.

It wasn't

Same this winter when it was stated in a few places that it would be the coldest ever on record

It Wasn't

Metcheck appears to be in agreement with the above forecast

Also according to metcheck, there appears to be less than average rainfall forecast for the remainder of May and June (putting us  at levels lower than 2010 and 2017) which is great news for anybody who doesn't like mud but not so much for those with dust allergies!

metcheck.jpg

I vaguely remember Michael saying that the weather goes in 7 year cycles. I only started going in 2009, but I remember it being pretty muddy in 2009/2016, and dry in 2010/2017, so maybe this is a thing?

There wasn’t a festival in 2012 (fallow because of the olympics)... my vague recollection is of it being a beautiful summer though couldn’t say what the weather was actually like at the end of June!

1 minute ago, FestiZebra said:

At what point do we think we can make judgement on wellies/boots vs trainers?

I would need some new wellies if it came to it!

The day before at best! The weather has swung massively in the past and everyone should always plan for the worst!

The queues for wellies in 2005 were huge. I'd definitely be buying some beforehand

23 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I vaguely remember Michael saying that the weather goes in 7 year cycles. I only started going in 2009, but I remember it being pretty muddy in 2009/2016, and dry in 2010/2017, so maybe this is a thing?

There wasn’t a festival in 2012 (fallow because of the olympics)... my vague recollection is of it being a beautiful summer though couldn’t say what the weather was actually like at the end of June!

Michael said 2007 was "The best festival yet"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FestiZebra said:

At what point do we think we can make judgement on wellies/boots vs trainers?

I would need some new wellies if it came to it!

If we have little to no rain from now until Glastonbury and if the reports on the tuesday/wednesday morning are completely rain free, I would still bring boots / wellies just to be safe.  

I'd rather be mildly annoyed that I lugged wellies for no reason instead of wrecking my trainers for the week or having to  shell out far more than I should for a pair of wellies that may not even be in your size

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Hopefully the water table is pretty low that helps drainage between now at festival time. 

A low water table is good if the weather's dry but not good if wet. Solid soil cannot absorb water quickly and  leads to flash floods. Add to this the churn of lots of feet and you have the perfect recipe for mud ? 

35 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

It was an awful summer in 2012, apart from the two weeks for the Olympics when the sun miraculously came out!

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

A low water table is good if the weather's dry but not good if wet. Solid soil cannot absorb water quickly and  leads to flash floods. Add to this the churn of lots of feet and you have the perfect recipe for mud ? 

Which dries up exceptionally quickly when it's warm.

Just now, briddj said:

It was an awful summer in 2012, apart from the two weeks for the Olympics when the sun miraculously came out! 

Yep - IOW moved their festival to Glastonbury weekend, as they have a habit of doing during fallow years, and had a legendarily muddy event.

51 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Metcheck appears to be in agreement with the above forecast

Also according to metcheck, there appears to be less than average rainfall forecast for the remainder of May and June (putting us  at levels lower than 2010 and 2017) which is great news for anybody who doesn't like mud but not so much for those with dust allergies!

metcheck.jpg

Take that every time. 

If it's remotely like it was in 2017 I'll be happy - a light shower or two at night to keep the dust down and dry - the only Glasto I've got tickets for where it's not been muddy (2016 nearly broke me and it put a big question mark over the October ticket sale for 2017 tickets).

Downside is - if it's another dry one a lot of the lightweights will suddenly decide to risk the 2020 ticket sales due to the 50th and potential Macca.....

3 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

If it's remotely like it was in 2017 I'll be happy - a light shower or two at night to keep the dust down and dry - the only Glasto I've got tickets for where it's not been muddy (2016 nearly broke me and it put a big question mark over the October ticket sale for 2017 tickets).

Downside is - if it's another dry one a lot of the lightweights will suddenly decide to risk the 2020 ticket sales due to the 50th and potential Macca.....

I believe we now think there is no potential Macca anymore.

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Flash flooding is indeed likely in those circumstances, and can be very bad news for those on the "boots" side of the "wellies vs boots" debate.

After a scorching summer of no rain in 2018, the heavens absolutely opened a couple of times at Boomtown last year, and my usually waterproof boots were left soaked and unusable. The ground just would not absorb the water fast enough as it absolutely lashed it down, and all the rain was running down the festivals slopes like a giant river.

The surface water was mostly gone within a few minutes, but without a hairdryer my boots were finished for the weekend.

10 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

The Saturday night was a total washout, Sunday was fab though.

Friday opening was delayed by a few hours due to damage done on the Thursday night and Friday/ Saturday were miserable. Still sun came out for Sunday and the ferry ride back on Monday morning was glorious.