The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

8 minutes ago, Verminkt said:

British don't really like warmth? 23/24 degrees is perfect in my opinion, get to wear your shorts and its warm at night too. 

I've been to Sziget in Hungary twice and the first year it was between 36-40 degrees all week (festival is 10 days). The dust was everywhere. It was mental.

22 is too hot for some Brits. It's crazy how some of them struggle in any sort of sunshine.

23 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Actually I think sprocket definetly knows something we don't, unless that's all they ever post in every thread "Guys, we're going to be alright".

Sprocket, any chance you can elaborate on your forecast?

Nothing has *really* changed over the last week or so... We always expected rain today and or tomorrow. It's always shown wet the weekend before. And it's always shown relatively dry over the festival. That's what it still shows now, except perhaps a bit more rain on the Sunday. The ground is ok, they've not had torrential downpours in Pilton. It's fine. Calm down. We're not staring into the abyss of 2016 or 07. It's fine. Everything will be alright. 

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile over at netweather...

Well, as I see it, given the sort of values we're seeing advertised at the 850 level, the boundary area between airmasses stands a real risk of a 200mm rainfall event- if everything happens to fall together in a certain way that is. The GFS doesn't really advertise this but the risk is there for sure.

6 minutes ago, Mr Splodge said:

Ok here goes.

bin painting today was brutal.  Rain all day not heavy but persistent ground VERY wet.  We still have grass because no one can drive on it but it’s very wet.  Tracks are about 2inches deep with a mixture of water and mud.

rain is (I am told forecast most of tomorrow) please pray it misses the site..

hopefully things will dry up from Thursday.

sorry it’s not a positive update but it’s a honest update.

I will post a update tomorrow.

This is from state of the ground 1 min ago...

12 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Well, as I see it, given the sort of values we're seeing advertised at the 850 level, the boundary area between airmasses stands a real risk of a 200mm rainfall event- if everything happens to fall together in a certain way that is. The GFS doesn't really advertise this but the risk is there for sure.

TWO BLOODY HUNDRED?!?!?

6 minutes ago, lordjord93 said:

This is from state of the ground 1 min ago...

And that proves the point - it’s a farm yard in a valley with a river/streams running through it - it’s a bloody basin!

Dust this morning turns - with one days light rain - to 2 inches of mud.

Just now, stopwn1981 said:

And that proves the point - it’s a farm yard in a valley with a river/streams running through it - it’s a bloody basin!

Dust this morning turns - with one days light rain - to 2 inches of mud.

On the flip side, one morning of dry weather and it’s fine again 

18 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

CreweCold is part of the band of posters on there who refuses to see anything positive. The kind of person the Star and the Express quotes in winter.

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Please be advised that 200mm is 8 inches. If theres that much rain I want to be there to watch a truly once in a lifetime biblical event. Fuck the music. need to bring the canoe as well

In 2007, on the Sunday into Monday of Glasto, a deep low sat over Sheffield. The scenes on the video were caused by around 140mm

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sheffield+floods+2007+meadowhall&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjeyKb84fPiAhVQ0RoKHbs3AA4Q2-cCegQIABAC&oq=2007+sheff&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.1.1.0j0i8i30l2j0i24l2.11370.16729..18848...0.0..0.145.2991.0j26......0....1.........35i39.THDaS2jnoaI&ei=dTsJXZ66LtCia7vvgHA&bih=553&biw=375&client=safari&prmd=minv&hl=en-gb#imgrc=q_WuNTJ0FkEg9M

If Pilton got 200mm you’d be looking at a major flooding event causing devastation in the Mendips!