The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

35 minutes ago, briddj said:

All still 100% true. I think people are getting mixed up with trends and specifics.

We can look at the trends right now, and could get an idea. But with the current forecasts being so volatile we're  wasting our time before the weekend. There are no specifics for us we can rely on. BUT last week's rain for today/tomorrow was consistently in the charts.

We will be better when the UKMO and ECMWF come into closer range as they are more reliable than the american GFS 

Then its eyes on the Euro4 for within 48 hours

15 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

So last week what did it say for pilton this morning?

Dry, as the "chance of rain" was "only" on Wednesday.

And earlier the same day there was to be "minimal rain of any note through to Sunday 23rd".

Apparently the BBC's forecasts are only right about 50% of the time just 3 days out: https://weather.slimyhorror.com/.

12 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Dry, as the "chance of rain" was "only" on Wednesday.

And earlier the same day there was to be "minimal rain of any note through to Sunday 23rd".

Apparently the BBC's forecasts are only right about 50% of the time just 3 days out: https://weather.slimyhorror.com/.

The worrying thing about what you quote, of course, if that as recently as Friday it was "starting to look very warm in the south of the middle of next week". Never happened.... And that was just four days ago.

We're screwed.

35 minutes ago, briddj said:

It's not that specific. The message last week was for rain, possibly heavy, in the south west Tuesday and Wednesday. Going to be proven true, no?

Just interested to see how accurate it actually is.  I’ll be able to tell you the rainfall for today later. Today it was dry to start but has been drizzle on/off since 10.30. 

11 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Just interested to see how accurate it actually is.  I’ll be able to tell you the rainfall for today later. Today it was dry to start but has been drizzle on/off since 10.30. 

You’ll need a bucket overnight I reckon looking at met office!

1 minute ago, Deneva48 said:

Anyone got a info or pics of state of site today, the amount and size of traffic I’ve seen going in can’t be helping at all. Weather may be warming towards middle of next week, that’s helpful, I think it will still be a slightly muddy one, but nothing like 2016. Plans are to get in early and set tents up, at the higher fields. Lucky for me friends are taking all the tents on Tue night for early entrance on Wed. I’m not going till Friday, Three days is enough for me.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

What are we currently looking at year-wise? I'm saying 2008.

Which is about halfway between a 2004 and a 2016...

What was the weather like in 2013?  I have almost complete recall of the weather every year since 2007 (ugh) but 2013 seems to have made no impression on me whatsoever.

2013 is obviously the Tame Impala of weather years.

Anyway, I'm saying it will be another 2013.  Whatever that was.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BluePaul said:

What was the weather like in 2013?  I have almost complete recall of the weather every year since 2007 (ugh) but 2013 seems to have made no impression on me whatsoever.

That was the Stones year - barely rained IIRC. (Agreed re TI - when I saw them it was like background music - even when they were playing right in front of me.)

1 minute ago, BluePaul said:

I think there were a few showers across the weekend but it was pretty good overall, though I partied very hard in 2013 so my memory is very hazy to say the least

Just now, Kinkyinuit said:

I think there were a few showers across the weekend but it was pretty good overall, though I partied very hard in 2013 so my memory is very hazy to say the least

Thinking on, I seem to recall it lashed it down on the Thursday (we ended up in the Kasbah listening to Tony Bowen) but was bone dry on the Friday?

I'd settle for that.

2 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

2013 was pretty great IIRC! Think there was a bit of rain on the Thursday night but otherwise was dry most of the weekend and I was walking around in plimpsolls!

Yep - scratch my last reply - looking back at photo's, 2014 was when it lashed down Thursday afternoon.  But it did rain Wednesday or Thursday night in 2013 - we ended up in The Blues trying not to go over in the Silver Hayes mud!

I might remember 2013 better than most, since it's the only time I've been before.

It's probably fairly unmemorable for the reason it was utterly mediocre. It wasn't blazing hot. Didn't rain too much. There was a lot of overcast and dull windy days, but it remained warm. A bit of sun from time to time, but not much.

The ground was solid throughout the festival, and the wet ground/mud was trodden back down within an hour of any showers.

Edit: In short, I'd take that again. Unremarkable weather is what you want at a festival really.

Edited by Sku
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sku said:

I might remember 2013 better than most, since it's the only time I've been before.

It's probably fairly unmemorable for the reason it was utterly mediocre. It wasn't blazing hot. Didn't rain too much. There was a lot of overcast and dull windy days, but it remained warm. A bit of sun from time to time, but not much.

The ground was solid throughout the festival, and the wet ground/mud was trodden back down within an hour of any showers.

At this stage I would 100% take that right now.