The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

35 minutes ago, Cammers said:

Is my maths correct? Weather forecast measurements (i.e. 2.3mm  or 4.1mm) means depth over a 1m x 1m square?

Meaning 1mm would translate as follows: 1mm x 1000mm x 1000mm = 1,000,000mm² = 1 litre.

THAT'S A LOT OF BEER! 

Your maths is indeed correct. It's just under 2 pints of beer, which considering I am a liability seems about right for spillage.

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Indeed on Thursday evening you wrote:

Which I think is the truth. Not that it will keep me away from this thread ?

All still 100% true. I think people are getting mixed up with trends and specifics.

We can look at the trends right now, and could get an idea. But with the current forecasts being so volatile we're  wasting our time before the weekend. There are no specifics for us we can rely on. BUT last week's rain for today/tomorrow was consistently in the charts.

Edited by briddj

On 5 Live this morning, they were saying to basically forget about any chances of prolonged good weather for next few weeks.  Had a big feature on it too with a guy on sounding like he knows things about the weather, all sounded a bit miserable.  I felt like texting in and telling them to read about the optimism on this thread

Edited by Wallace

31 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

This is from the 00z run, not the more recent 06z run which has much more rain all day Sunday. 

I'm never bothered about Sundays weather, it's almost home time so I can take a weather hit, plenty of dry clothes too if it's dry Wednesday til then. 

3 minutes ago, Wallace said:

On 5 Live this morning, they were saying to basically forget about any chances of prolonged good weather for next few weeks.  Had a big feature on it too with a guy one sounding like he knows things about the weather, all sounded a bit miserable.  I felt like texting in and telling them to read about the optimism on this thread

They don't know what they're talking about. Us on the other hand... 

Just now, barkley87 said:

The Spanish don't use umlauts...

(Sorry for being petty, but as a German speaker I had to say something . I don't like seeing umlauts used incorrectly. Don't even get me started on Motörhead) 

I knew someone would pick up on this, ha! I know some basic German so was fully aware of my blasphemy. I just think that the little symbol makes a word look slightly more tropical.

Totally irrelevant update from the West Mids: BONE DRY! 

Just now, Cammers said:

I knew someone would pick up on this, ha! I know some basic German so was fully aware of my blasphemy. I just think that the little symbol makes a word look slightly more tropical.

Haha, Germany is probably the opposite of what I'd call tropical! 

2 minutes ago, Cammers said:

More Icelandic I'd say! 

27 minutes ago, psychology said:

Just asked a question on Met office live about whether we will have a Spanish plume and they said it was unlikely ?

Just seen that on YouTube. He answered my question about Glastonbury forecast. Take suncream and wellies was the advice given, which I took as he hasn't got a clue yet..

1 minute ago, Euphoricape said:

Just seen that on YouTube. He answered my question about Glastonbury forecast. Take suncream and wellies was the advice given, which I took as he hasn't got a clue yet..

Let’s just hope it’s 2010 which looked similar to this and just turned at last minute. 

Well, the picture on ventusky has remained consistent and the weather we have so far experienced is exactly as predicted.  On that basis it's going to be more of this changeable weather (light showers, cloudy skies and the occasional heavier spell of rain) combined with the warming trend which has now begun.  Right now it looks like the weather over the 3 main days will be nice and warm at least, even if the ground is a little chewed up.

22 minutes ago, briddj said:

All still 100% true. I think people are getting mixed up with trends and specifics.

We can look at the trends right now, and could get an idea. But with the current forecasts being so volatile we're  wasting our time before the weekend. There are no specifics for us we can rely on. BUT last week's rain for today/tomorrow was consistently in the charts.

So last week what did it say for pilton this morning?

10 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

definitely don't like to commit to more than 5 days ahead, saw your question as well

24 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

The Spanish don't use umlauts...

(Sorry for being petty, but as a German speaker I had to say something . I don't like seeing umlauts used incorrectly. Don't even get me started on Motörhead) 

Alles Fit im Schritt?