The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

2 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

How bad was Download? A friends instagram seemed to suggest it was pretty bad on the Thursday night, but during the actual music the arena seemed fine (Everyone was wearing jackets, but it didn't seem that muddy?)

Yeah Fri-Sun was fine, it's because they opened the arena on Friday and not Wednesday. They'd filled the placed with straw, and put fresh batches out each morning which was great. Obviously Glastonbury don't have that option..

The campsites and the village were a different story. I think we probably had 45 minutes ish that wasn't absolute downpours from 2pm Wed to 6pm Thurs, and freezing at night! 

The mean pressure (average across runs, purple line) is now backing higher pressure at the start of the festival but dropping down on the Saturday and Sunday. Note the green line, which is what the described charts have shown, is way above the average so would, on the bare face of it, be unlikely to come off. But everything is in play.

image.png.b15a0efb7f476b35e030231f4fc72f35.png

Just now, stopwn1981 said:

Sunday before. A torrential downpour can do a lot of damage - see Wainfleet in Lincolnshire this week!

That was a river that burst its banks though. And we had A LOT of rain here in Lincolnshire (I think they were saying a month's worth in a few days).

Much as thursday-sunday of 2017 was absolutely ideal, that Wednesday was proper brutal, and I'd say too hot. Exacerbated for me by the fact I was working in the West Holts Bar that afternoon which must have been a good few degrees hotter than outside, which when it's 31-32 in the shade is really saying something. I only survived by constantly putting ice cubes in my hat.

Reading some of that 2016 weather thread made me laugh.

Knowing how bad it really was (the ground, not the actual weather specifically) makes reading the little optimistic comments weirdly entertaining. 

Sat here thinking 'mate, you don't know what's coming!' 

That Wednesday I spent in Taunton until 14:30 for my coach - got to site about 16:00.  It was 30 degrees.  The coach broke down due to over heating and I was in panic mode thinking I wouldn’t get there.

On arrival at Gate A they had water sprayers and I walked straight in, dumped my stuff at the first bit of grass I could find.   Put my tent up but it must have been 100 degrees in there so dumped all my stuff, grabbed a couple of ciders and didn’t come back to it until 9pm when it cooler.

I’d still take that now though !