The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Here's the 00Z in summary.

High pressure: Continues to build from the weekend and through the week until Thursday, when it sinks back towards Europe. Over the festival Saturday and Sunday, pressure returns to the levels of this weekend cominng again - not terrible just not as high as midweek.

Precipitation: Showing a fair bit of rain on the Monday still, and again some rain when the gates open, plus a bit on Weds eve. Then dry all day Thursday with a very small amount on Friday, Saturday and Sudnay - but really barely worth mentioning, only saying cos it appears on the run.

Temperatures: Monday 14-15, Tuesday 17-19, Wednesday 23-24, Thursday 22, Friday 23, Saturday 19-20, Sunday 17-18

So we have had some consistency in the last three runs, so a pattern may well be emerging for the plume! However, we are still too far away and the pocket of low pressure sat out to the south west of the country is key to everything...... it needs to stay out of the way.

image.png.701be2abd3c1b6494182b3ca8527c8fd.png

I won't say it's a great update even though it's still warm with less rain. ?

That’s a bloody great update!!!  

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Here's the 00Z in summary.

High pressure: Continues to build from the weekend and through the week until Thursday, when it sinks back towards Europe. Over the festival Saturday and Sunday, pressure returns to the levels of this weekend cominng again - not terrible just not as high as midweek.

Precipitation: Showing a fair bit of rain on the Monday still, and again some rain when the gates open, plus a bit on Weds eve. Then dry all day Thursday with a very small amount on Friday, Saturday and Sudnay - but really barely worth mentioning, only saying cos it appears on the run.

Temperatures: Monday 14-15, Tuesday 17-19, Wednesday 23-24, Thursday 22, Friday 23, Saturday 19-20, Sunday 17-18

So we have had some consistency in the last three runs, so a pattern may well be emerging for the plume! However, we are still too far away and the pocket of low pressure sat out to the south west of the country is key to everything...... it needs to stay out of the way.

image.png.701be2abd3c1b6494182b3ca8527c8fd.png

I won't say it's a great update even though it's still warm with less rain. ?

The key will be erosion of the greenland high which is forcing the jetstream straight over us and has been constant for the last month or so.  There are signs this could happen towards next week

the ensembles for rain in somerset show most 00z runs going for small amounts of rain over the festival period - red line being the mean of all runs - the green line is related to the chart posted above.  Certainly no deluge of rain showing.

somer5.thumb.jpg.9cc002648633701c90c2678c2fd74fa3.jpg

Edited by Aragorn

They were going round handing out free water bottles on the Wednesday of 17, saying it was the hottest recorded hour of Glastonbury history. It was believable in the moment. I didn't feel right till I found the fire truck that was spraying people.

The site is definitely going to get some rain within the next hour or so but it looks like the band of rain will pass through reasonably quickly.

Rain on and off for the rest of the day but nothing that will trouble the floor conditions.

13 minutes ago, priest17 said:

They were going round handing out free water bottles on the Wednesday of 17, saying it was the hottest recorded hour of Glastonbury history. It was believable in the moment. I didn't feel right till I found the fire truck that was spraying people.

I got a wee bit of heat stroke and passed out in the shade beside my tent on the wednesday, it was absolutely horrendous.

That site wide cheer that went up around 7pm when that cloud covered the sun for a moment is a memory I'll not forget in a while

21 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

If there was 5 days like the Wednesday of 2017 I'd no longer exist 

I'm a massive fan of the sun, we were in the Avelon field and the tent was full. Fortunately i'd pre empted this an brought two golf umbrellas out. 

Even I had to hide under them, it was an absolute sweat bucket.

Given the choice though i'd still go for it i reckon

Edited by Stretlow

1 minute ago, doodlesbyben said:

That site wide cheer that went up around 7pm when that cloud covered the sun for a moment is a memory I'll not forget in a while

I'll always remember that moment, even took a photo of the cloud in question, what a day that was!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, priest17 said:

YES! It felt like that fire engine saved my life.  I was not coping with the heat at all.  I'd bought a cup of ice from the bar and was rubbing it on my head, but it wasn't helping, I was getting very dizzy and could feel my body was incapable of keeping my temperature steady.  Ran though the firetruck spray and was instantly fixed.  By the time I dried out, the temperature had dropped.  I was in perfect comfort for the rest of the day!

Edited by stuartbert two hats
firetrack -> fire engine